Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   random 100% cpu lockups since last patch (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=258142)

Archived Post 02-29-2012 10:14 PM

random 100% cpu lockups since last patch

Since the last patch, at least once per night the game will lock up - usually at the point where it loads the maps for the next scene in whatever mission I'm running.

It will show 0b/s on the download of the "patches" for the new map or whatever it's loading, nothing will happen from there. I will have to alt-tab, and open task manager, and there it will show that STO is running all 4 of my cpu's cores to 100%

Only remedy is to end the process on STO from Task Manager, and reload, sometimes losing a lot of mission progress, in the process.

Other times, like 10 minutes ago - it has been kicking me off the server - again with 100% load constantly on all 4 cores - usually at the point where it wants to load a new map.

Please fix this, it was fine until the last patch, roll back if u must.

And please, get new hamsters.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 11:32 AM

Well, beings that not many folks are experiencing this issue, I'm going to have to say the issue is on your end. That being said, let's see what we can do to fix this for you.

1. Are you on a wired or wireless connection?
2. What type of connection do you have, DSL, Cable, etc.?
3. Are you on a network with other users, if so, how many?
4. What hours of the day/night do you login and play? There could be heavy user traffic and that will cause this issue. Granted, you didn't experience this before, but that doesn't mean things don't change.

Let me know and we can go from there.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 01:23 PM

(1) Wired ethernet.

(2) DSL 20Mbps connection, actual speeds tested 10 times each for averages at speedtest.net & pingtest.net are:

Baseline:

Test server: Milton Keynes (United Kingdom) (150 miles)
18Mbps download 0.92 Mbps upload
Packet loss 0% Ping 32 Jitter 2

Closest test servers to known STO servers (Corvallis OR, Los Gatos CA):
(STO sever locations gained via this forum post

Test server: Corvallis OR (4950 miles)
3.59 Mbps download 0.82 Mbps upload
Packet loss 0% Ping 182 Jitter 2

Test server: San Francisco CA (5300 miles)
3.63 Mbps download 0.85 Mbps upload
Packet loss 0% Ping 175 Jitter 1

(3) No other users on this network

(4) I work nights, so on my days off my hours of play are usually anything from 2pm to midnight (PST) with these occurences happening usually around 9 to 11 pm (PST)

Archived Post 03-01-2012 01:40 PM

Okay, so everything you posted looks good to go. Are you on your own network? Or do you login from say... a dorm room, behind a corporate firewall?

Archived Post 03-01-2012 02:21 PM

Its my private home network.

And my while Im gaming, I activate the gaming profile on my firewall that allows the game to run without interference.

All latest windows updates are installed,
Installed graphics and device drivers are up to date
and relevant machine specs are:.

Processor:
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core (running at stock voltage of 2.66 GHz per core)

Memory:
4096MB RAM

Hard Drive:
1.75 TB total

Video Card:
ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti DirectCU 1Gb GDDR5 - (running at stock voltage)

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Archived Post 03-01-2012 02:32 PM

Hmmm... while I continue to look into this for you, something that helps me from time to time when I experience the progress slow down or outright freeze, I alt-tab to the desktop, then back to the game and for some reason, that will most often than not work for me. I don't quite understand why that happens or why that trick does it, but I'm working on it.

Archived Post 03-02-2012 08:54 AM

Yeah, I tried the alt tab thing also, it works for other problems like a map being laggy, but for this specific problem nothing seems to help.

It is good that it seems to be a very specific problem which might help you to figure out the problem faster. Each time it has happened, it has been at the point where you transition from one part of a mission to another, and it displays the loading screen whilst loading the next portion of the mission.

That specific moment is when it freezes and runs the cpu cores to 100% The moment where it requests the new maps to download from the server, and I presume gets no response from the server. Therefore it just sits there saying "patching # files 0b/s" and runs the cpu cores to 100%

Only remedy I have found is to close the client completely, and reload from scratch.

Frustrating because you dont always re-enter the mission at the point you were at when you had to close the client.

Archived Post 03-02-2012 10:01 AM

You can download the entire client, instead of relying on the streaming as you go feature. You can change the setting on the Patcher/Launcher.

It might solve the issue.