Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Why are people loathe to communicate in STFs and team missions? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=258324)

Archived Post 03-01-2012 08:52 PM

Why are people loathe to communicate in STFs and team missions?

I don't get it. More than players in any other game, the majority of STO players will not communicate in groups.

Today, lack of communication resulted in losing bonus objectives twice (!) in normal-mode space STFs, and a ground STF was a nightmarish 25 minutes where the group members weren't even in the same part of the instance, let alone cooperating.

First, the ground STF: It was absolutely intolerable. One teammate ran around face-pulling every group in the instance. She was a Sci officer with 230 HP at VA...running into groups of five Borg, then dying and leaving the aggro on us, or running away and leaving us to deal with the face-pull. This player did not respond to any attempts to communicate. An Engi officer on the team would often pull a second group after the Sci officer face-pulled a first...so we'd have two groups of Borg bearing down on us.

It was a re-spawn fest. After 25 minutes I bounced...I tried, I really did, but the group was not going to finish the mission.

Then there was Infected Space. Lost the bonus both times tonight despite playing on normal. Tried communicating with a pair of teammates in the first run-through, who were firing on the gateway.

"Hey guys, we've gotta destroy the generators first."

No reply.

"Hey guys, we can't actually do any damage to the gateway unless we take down the transformers."

No reply.

"Dude...stop firing on the gateway and help us with the Tactical Cube."

No reply.

Between these players, and the players who park on top of the Kang in Cure and AFK, most of these games come down to two or three players actively participating, while two or three do not.

I'll stop ranting now, but for the love of God let's have an end-game group threshold a la Rift, and some form of vote-kick or vote-abandon feature so once in a while, if all the stars align and a miracle happens, we can have occasional games where all five players cooperate.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 09:08 PM

Some think everyone knows what to do, some think its just pew pew, and others just say screw you.

It's funny though, as soon as you tell them they're doing it wrong, they freak about you calling them a n00b O.o

My advice is join a fleet, and run with them. It's loads better. My fleet does STF's tons. It's Tactical Fleet Delta. Our recruiter is @rondk If your looking or interested, hit him up ;)

Archived Post 03-01-2012 09:11 PM

Generational Issues?

Yes I agree there is a lot of this going on. Not sure if I would say STO has any more or less of it than other games though. I have been playing online games for 'many' years(10+) and it seems to me since my first MMO less and less people are willing to communicate. Could it be that the time for online games will come to an end because of this? I don't know but it does strike me astrange that people play online games ostensibly in order to play with real live people yet refuse to communicate or limit thier communication to only those people that scratch their backs just right. I feel that such exclusive and obtusive behavior is rather anti-thetical to the entire concept of online gaming, but the community makes the game not me.

Somewhere along the line in my first mmo ( Everquest) I too was a bit upset at people who have taken this elitist attitude. The 'my way or the highway' attitude that many people seem to adopt imo is ruing the game experince for many. While these types may feel that they are justified in such a view citing that people that do not do 'such and such' are not good players newbs or some other such drivel, I disagree and think that this may be a big contributor to the issue.In sto people are likely to say 'I am not here to talk- I am here to kill Borg..I knwo how to do it so don't tell me how " This leads to a catch 22.

There is more than one way to defeat an stf. Yes there are better and worse ways , but the best way is a way that works that all team members are playing. I have fallen into the bad habit of automatically going to the far transformer on the left in KA space for example and was called on it once. I am sure I was put on an ignore list even though I just did it by habit..ONCE. We didn't fail the optional objective and I responded when spoken to, but my point is people do things differently and sometimes it can be difficult to figure out what the group wants to do. Sometimes it is easy to just look at what people are doing and 'fill in the balnk' othertimes(especially when people are new or do things different ways) it isnt. I think it wold be just common courtesy to make a statement at teh beginning of the STF and say we are going to 'do it this way to day and get people to anti up for roles. This often happens but too often does not.

Also it shoudl be mentioned that the nature of MMOS is even more international than it once was I much more commonly come into contact with people from other countries that do not speak english well.I don't think this explains the entire problem today, but t can be an added contributor(although I don't consider that a problem per se)

Archived Post 03-01-2012 09:27 PM

OP, I know what you mean. A couple hours ago, I did an Infected Space run, despite saying that I needed help at the gate twice, because of all the Nanite Probes and Spheres coming through, no one helped. We lost the optional.

Though, I did get called every racial slur in the book. I really don't like being called names due to other peoples' lack of awareness, or their unwillingness to listen...

Archived Post 03-01-2012 09:49 PM

Douche bags comes with the stupidity. Yeah every now and then I do bump into some mute anti social gamers. Those are the better ones the worse are talkactive anti social gamers in a MMO game. Go figure! :D

Archived Post 03-01-2012 09:53 PM

it happen alot very recent.
i tried elite mission in cured space, and all failed on optionals, and later i discovered they are sit next to kang farming all those incoming borg raptors for the drops.

i am kinda new, replaying since last dec 2011, been gone for almost 2 yrs, this game been getting lot of fixes, but still finding so many more problems.
i was trying to get (in hope for very rare purple borg drops), now that seem non-exist because all those failed optional had not completed, or they all suddenly rolled "Need", my chance of winning it is very small.

it is very demoralizing and losing faith or playing Star Trek because of greed or exploits they discovered and not reported.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roche_Furman
OP, I know what you mean. A couple hours ago, I did an Infected Space run, despite saying that I needed help at the gate twice, because of all the Nanite Probes and Spheres coming through, no one helped. We lost the optional.

Though, I did get called every racial slur in the book. I really don't like being called names due to other peoples' lack of awareness, or their unwillingness to listen...

How would they know to call you racial slurs to offend you? O.o

Archived Post 03-01-2012 10:06 PM

Though I have not (nor likely ever will run a STF), I did want to comment that what is being described is nothing unique to STO in the least. I probably first noticed the lack of communication as such in "dungeons" as such around 5-6 years ago. Others may have noticed it prior to that... I've been playing MMOs for near 15 years or so. It was not always this way, but it's definitely been getting worse for at least 5-6 years if not longer.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 10:16 PM

From my experience the lack of communication is:
  1. The assumption people done the STFs enough to know the tactics.
  2. Non-English speaking players
  3. Players who have Chat Turned Off / Chat Window Minimized
  4. Players who just don't care
  5. Shy players who don't want to speak up

This is why groups and STF channels are becoming more the mainstay than pugging, because the liklihood of running into these situations.

Archived Post 03-01-2012 10:26 PM

Also, a lot of people do not have voice chat options. When people try to use their microphones, all I get a burst of static. So people trying to communicate that way is not particularly helpful.