Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Fleetyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Should I bother with torpedoes on my cruiser? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=258651)

Archived Post 03-03-2012 10:20 PM

Should I bother with torpedoes on my cruiser?

I decided to make an Orion engineer and went with cruisers since they're the best for defense. I'm already up to level 47, but I'm not sure if I should keep going with torpedoes. Since cruisers work best by using both fore and aft weapons at once, I'm thinking of just putting 8 Beam Arrays (Tetryon for the time being, AP to come later), boosting some power into weapons, and just let them eat away at shields. I seem to do well enough for PVE (which is all I care about.)

I'm not trying to for top DPS, but I'm not sure if having a torpedo on my ship really helps make for a nice little spike in damage on the few times that my ship is facing the enemy. What do you suggest?

On that note, are there any good tactical skills to help boost beam attacks? I have Fire At Will 2, but not being able to choose targets can be annoying at times. I hear there's Beam Overload, which charges up the next attack. Are there any damage-boosting beam skills that act on a countdown timer like how Rapid Fire works for cannons?

Archived Post 03-04-2012 12:38 AM

One must ask: Are you look at a team build, or a solo build?

My experience, and yours most certainly may differ, is the for a solo build then a diverse range of weapons works best. Energy, kinetic, mines, everything you can think of. The reason is that when soloing you'll be switching your tactical role on the fly constantly. Also, when soloing you're likely facing fewer targets, so obsessing over DPS isn't as much as an issue as is personal survival, since you're the only one the enemy is going to be shooting at as well.

In a team build the reverse is usually true: Stick with one theme and min/max it in conjunction with the rest of the team. In this case, your all-energy weapon build is certainly a valuable contribution, especially if you can min/max your weapon power ratings and other appropriate buffs. You will be the defacto shield dropper of your team. This will allow someone else to load their ship up with a full suite of torpedoes in which to finish your targets off quickly (most likely the science captain hanging out at maximum range and buffing your shields as you go in guns blazing).

Just remember this: There is no one answer to everything. Solutions are always situational. What works great in some situations will fail in others. What looks stupid in one situation will be exactly what is needed in others. I've seen ships with nothing but cannons, others with nothing but torpedoes, even ships using nothing but turrets. All have their place in the game - it's simply a matter of matching the right kit to the job at hand.

Archived Post 03-04-2012 07:46 AM

I typically just run 7 beams +1 warhead, but I run Fire@Will III and II. Unless you happen to have a Bortas, you won't be able to do that. That said, I prefer beams over duals/cannons in a cruiser cause it takes too long to line up a shot and half the time you have to stop moving once you do(stf). With a lot of beams you make up the loss of not using cannons or dual beams by not having to lineup and it frees you to hit other targets(like probes) as they pass by in what would normally be out of firing arc.

You'll just have to play around with weapons till you create a build that matches your style.

Archived Post 03-04-2012 09:46 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick to the "Team Build" as you mentioned, going with all beams. I also currently only have Fire at will 2.. don't know what the Bortas even looks like since I only played my Fed during the 2 year anniversary. :/

Archived Post 03-04-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusashorn
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick to the "Team Build" as you mentioned, going with all beams. I also currently only have Fire at will 2.. don't know what the Bortas even looks like since I only played my Fed during the 2 year anniversary. :/

Pretty easy to pick out as it is the biggest ship in the entire game for players.

Archived Post 03-04-2012 02:03 PM

Bigger than the Vo'Quv? Dang.

Archived Post 03-06-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusashorn
Bigger than the Vo'Quv? Dang.

Similar length, wider beam.

Very hugenormous.

Archived Post 03-06-2012 04:05 PM

I load cannons and turrets on my Negh'Var, the only other weapon I have loaded is the BNW, which works great as a support dps ship even without the whole it being a missile thing. I use it to clear mines all the time.