Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   unable to resolve nvidia stuttering (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=259100)

Archived Post 03-06-2012 06:38 AM

unable to resolve nvidia stuttering

I've checked the framerate guide on this forum. However, all of those recommendations are for low performance system, and this is a brand new problem with no change in hardware.

my system is as follows:
AMD 640 Propus quad-core
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 460

I had not logged into STO for a few days. Before i logged in yesterday, i downloaded the latest nvidia drivers - 295.73 - and then went through the login process..

It was only sheer luck that I survived a ground mission, it was pathetic. I have never seen STO(or any game) with such low performance. I noticed this stuttering happens in space as well, but it's not as pronounced.

I uninstalled the new drivers and rolled back to my old ones. It still stutters. Testing two different driver sets leads me to the conclusion that it is a problem with a recent STO patch.

I realize nvidia has a long history of stuttering with STO, but when i submitted a ticket in game, it never showed up(yes, I clicked refresh.) Can anyone at all shed some light on how long it takes to fix these problems with another STO patch? STO is basically the only game I play.

Archived Post 03-06-2012 04:27 PM

could it be?

Hi bishopguardian,

have another game that also have this "stuttering" problem. I solved it with:

right click on desctop

calibration for your nvidea

in the part of 3D calibration, in the drop field search for the STO client. If not in, there is a button right side of it and search for it manual. Now you put in the STO client for 3D calibrations. Search in the Calibration field with many parts for it like: antialising, gamma effects, and more the "vertical synchronisation" and deactivate it.

In some games the deactivated VS give a performance boost of up to 60 - 80 FPS. (This was my problem in another old game)

Hope it was the problem. :)

edit:
Check also your direct x drivers, not that they got damaged with any sorts of install / deinstall and so on. The way's of MS are sometimes.. ^^

Archived Post 03-06-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramundson
Hi bishopguardian,

have another game that also have this "stuttering" problem. I solved it with:

right click on desctop

calibration for your nvidea

in the part of 3D calibration, in the drop field search for the STO client. If not in, there is a button right side of it and search for it manual. Now you put in the STO client for 3D calibrations. Search in the Calibration field with many parts for it like: antialising, gamma effects, and more the "vertical synchronisation" and deactivate it.

In some games the deactivated VS give a performance boost of up to 60 - 80 FPS. (This was my problem in another old game)

Hope it was the problem. :)

edit:
Check also your direct x drivers, not that they got damaged with any sorts of install / deinstall and so on. The way's of MS are sometimes.. ^^

Thank you for your suggestions!

I continued checking various hardware components. It turns out my water pump for the CPU is failing; the temperature was surpassing 68C, so the chip was throttling down to 800mhz to keep it from going higher.

at 800mhz, even if it's 4 cores, it isn't enough to run the game well. :)

I need to get a new heatsink and fan. for now, i've lowered the clock rate and CPU voltage to keep it around 60C max load. even underclocked it's butter smooth compared to the framerate i was getting when it stuttered.

UPDATE:
The waterpump was not dying after all; I apparently didn't tighten the tension screws well enough when i took it apart a few months ago and vibration caused one of the them to become loose. now running 38C max load, which is much more appropriate.