Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Option to switch to another character without logging off? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=259148)

Archived Post 03-06-2012 11:42 AM

Option to switch to another character without logging off?

Right now you have to log off and log back in to choose another character....

Can you implement a way that just brings up the character selection (it takes you out of the server, etc, you're not sitting there AFK while you do it) and allows you to select the next but without having to log back in?

Just a wish..

Archived Post 03-08-2012 02:10 PM

I agree with you it would be nice to have. Though I guess i can live with what we have now.

Archived Post 03-11-2012 09:10 PM

I agree. It seems silly that we have to log out to change alts.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 08:51 AM

After buying four additional character slots, I think it is getting really annoying. Each time I have to correct my username, reenter password, wait until char screen loads...

Funnily the game appends a "1" to my account name whenever I try to change characters. Could it be that a logical "1" accidently slipped into the output string instead of being processed as a boolean variable? Especially being asked "Log this character out?", makes me believe the current behaviour is not intended at all.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 09:57 AM

Agreed

/10char

Archived Post 03-12-2012 12:00 PM

Agreed, this needs to be implemented.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 12:25 PM

Oh hell yes.

I have (I think) 8 toons and the login in / out when doing my doffs is crazy :D

Archived Post 03-12-2012 03:41 PM

I actually don't think that can happen. It's a matter of account security, I believe. It would be much more convenient, but, in the long run, improve security.

:D

Archived Post 03-14-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywiz
I actually don't think that can happen. It's a matter of account security, I believe. It would be much more convenient, but, in the long run, improve security.

Yes, because the more and more someone has to input a password it does not at all give it more and more of a chance to be logged, not at all. :rolleyes:

That being said, there are ways around that, but not everyone knows how.

It needs to be changed, it should never have been implemented that way to start with.

Archived Post 04-28-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywiz

My initial thought was that this was a security measure, but that doesn't really work past the initial thinking stage. As mentioned above, logging and out repeatedly actually increases the chance of password theft and hacking. In fact, this isn't a login/logout issue at all. We are not logging in or out of an account, what we are doing is switching characters within the game system. If we never had to leave the system to switch characters, it would, in fact, be more secure. I play a lot of games and the majority of them do not require me to leave the game and log back in simply to switch to another character. If this was intentional, it was poorly thought out. If it's not intentional, it was poorly implemented and should be fixed sooner rather than later.