Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Rate the Featured Episodes (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260419)

Archived Post 03-12-2012 04:33 AM

Rate the Featured Episodes

Rate each FE story arch and what you think the best episode of all was. This isn't meant to cause flames or BS. Just simply what FEs ppl like best and why.

For me this is easy..I played each FE as they were released and the spoilers for most were easy to avoid so they were full of cool surprises.

My Least to most fave:

Least fav The 2800. To me only a couple of the episodes were really fun. Of Bajor was, for me, simply a bore. The story was ok since we've had nothing new, but to me it felt rushed or forced, esp considering how long its been since we had an FE.

Next is The Breen. Overall I liked this series. I found all but 1 episode to be great.

Next is Cloaked Intentions. I felt this was well told and was just really fun. The interraction with the Reman was great as was the extra optional larts of each mission. The collisium episode was awesome.

My fave was by far The Devidians. For me, 2 episodes in this story arch had me spellbound. Playing "What lies Beneath" for Haloween was great. It was spooky and just so well done. The whole "bonnie-kins" thing had my skin crawling. Then there was "Everything Old is New". Oh man! What fun..going back to help Bones! For me easily some of the best writing STO has ever produced with maybe the Klingon Grethor mission being equal for me.

Which ones did you all like and why?

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:38 AM

1. The Breen; I really liked this one a lot, as they introduced a new group of allies (Deferi) as well as a couple of new space sectors, so it was like we were actually exploring new portions of the galaxy. The Breen are mean and tough, and they require different strategies for defeating them (avoid those cold weapons!). The 5 missions are straightforward and clear. I liked the "stand on the spots to get the map piece" mission, too. Plus, the rewards were very helpful (especially when you could play these missions as a low-level alt).

2. Devidians; I didn't like this FE at all when I first played it, as ground combat was still not improved at the time and it took forever to crawl around that ship in the dark and plink-plink-plink away at the creatures. Once they did the ground combat overhaul, I learned how great this series really is. I enjoy it a lot. It's got the right mix of action, puzzles, exploration, and suspense. Very well done.

3. Romulans; This series was fair at best. I really don't like The Vault or the final mission, "Catwalk Chaos" (who would design a town like that anyway???). The middle missions were fun, though, and I really liked making an alliance with Obisek. It makes sense for the Federation to find SOMEONE among the Romulan/Remans to team up with.

4. 2800; The last 2 missions saved this series from utter failure. Mission 1 was boring until the end. Mission 2 is the absolute WORST mission in the game (yes, even worse than Stop the Signal), mission 3 is a pain in the neck (plus you have to do this one twice to get the good gear). I really liked the last 2 missions, though. If the entire series had been like these last 2 missions, it would have been a spectacular series.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 11:13 AM

Number 1:
Cloaked Intentions - great new environments, good use of cut scenes, cannon music, epic voice-overs, and the introduction of new gameplay, such as shuttle missions and the arena combat experience. Utilizing the TOS battle music in the arena was terrific. The story was also very well written and made sense in the overarching Trek universe

Number 2:
The Devidians - the addition of new graphic sets to the game, namely the TOS interiors, introduced through the use of time travel was a great addition to the game. The "What Lies Beneath" episode was terrific and was the introduction of new environments that we hadn't seen before in the game, in terms of lighting and ambience. The first time seeing the Devidian effect was neat, as this was also the introduction of a new element that we hadn't seen in game to that point.

Number 3:
The 2800 - really enjoyed all of the episodes, especially episodes four and five. Episode four introduced a new interior package to the game, which was very well constructed by the environment artists. The computer voiceovers were really well done as well - the whole prison setup showed a lot of imagination with respect to an element of the Federation that was never really explored. Episode five offered new gameplay through the space-walking and incorporating cut-scene events into the mission, such as the cut-scene ship battles impacting the gameplay environment. The environment artists did a great job of the Bajor zone, and the diplmatic aspect of this mission appealed to me. I liked the new 'voting system' for dialogue boxes, that moderated dialogue progression in the team enviroet. What was generally lacking from this series, was polish. There were many bugs in the missions when they were released, such as team play issues, some team members not seeing cut-scenes while others did, NPCs being non-existent in some cut-scenes or sinking into the floor etc.

This series was among my favorites, but the lack of polish prior to the release of the episode lowered this otherwise epic series in my rating.

Number 4:
The Breen series. Also a fun tie-in to TOS and TNG story lines. A very strong story with new assets in the game - but the first in the episode run, so no new epic environments or additions to gameplay.

OVERALL, the featured episodes are my favorite part of of this game, and what keeps me coming back. I really, really hope that they were successful enough to convince Cryptic to ramp-up their production of these :)

Thanks, Cryptic!!

Archived Post 03-13-2012 06:18 AM

While I am not going to rank them all, I generally enjoy doing FEs.

But 2800 is just awful. The dreadfulness of part 1 and more especially part 2 (way too much pointless running around and badly acted cut-scenes) is only barely compensated by later parts, and requiring part 3 to be repeated to get a full set is unforgiveable.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambril
While I am not going to rank them all, I generally enjoy doing FEs.

But 2800 is just awful. The dreadfulness of part 1 and more especially part 2 (way too much pointless running around and badly acted cut-scenes) is only barely compensated by later parts, and requiring part 3 to be repeated to get a full set is unforgiveable.

I tend to agree about getting the set.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akrilon (Post 4089132)

OVERALL, the featured episodes are my favorite part of of this game, and what keeps me coming back. I really, really hope that they were successful enough to convince Cryptic to ramp-up their production of these :)

Thanks, Cryptic!!

I couldnt agree more. The FEs are the only reason ive kept logging in for over a year.

Archived Post 03-14-2012 05:20 AM

I especially liked the Breen missions and "The 2800". It also may have something to do with the space set you get out of them. ;)

The 2800 was a nice mix of combat and "roleplay".

"Second wave": The cutscenes could have been made better. But I liked that you have to persuade the faction ambassadors to join you. If only it had some real consequences afterwards.

"Of Bajor": Well this mission had something to offer for everyone. Diplomatic multiple choice, space combat, ground combat, story telling. I really don't understand why everybody seems to dislike it. Probably because everybody had to do at least something they don't like. Well and there was all this running back and forth.

"Operation Gamma": I love shuttle missions. So you got me with that one. ;) Although it was kind of odd you can chose to destroy the Ferengi ship without consequences. Starfleet surely wouldn't be pleased!

"Facility 4028": Great scenery! Fighting Jem'Hadar, Humans, Undine, Klingons, Gorn, Ferengi, ... all in the same mission. It was really fun. Besides having a Changeling as an ally is new.

"Boldly they rode": Come on, a space walk mission. Who wouldn't like that? Well there are some open questions, like if they where able to transport you on top of DS9, why didn't they put you right next to a hach by the Operations level? But hey, it would have been much less fun.

Archived Post 03-14-2012 05:49 PM

My favorite Series was the Breen. The mission "Cold Storage" in particular was very satisfing.

For number Two, Cloaked Intentions, with the mission "Cutting the Cord" being fun between the rooftop fights, and the mass battle against Sela at the end.

Number Three was the Dominion. I really liked the mission "Of Bajor" as it set a different tone compaired to most STO missions. Operation Gamma was neat as well. The rest of the missions in the series were mostly clunckers to me.

Devidians. The enteraction with TOS was a little cheesy. The highlight of this series was "Skirmish".

Archived Post 03-15-2012 01:47 AM

2800 was a bust for me, and not in the good way.

If they are going to tout unique rewards on the splash screen, then point me towards a broken mission, then they deserve 0 out of 5 stars that I award them, as I have just done here.

This is the equivalent of being invited into somebodys home for pancakes, and being forced to walk around and talk to their potplants (even though some of the potplants want to trade stuff with the other potplants, it's still just potplants - YAWN) while waiting for pancakes that never come. Then you leave, and reenter then room to see if that helps. Nothing. So you leave, wait for 15 minutes, then try again. Nothing. Then you go to the forums and sound like an idiot when you complain. And you STILL don't have pancakes - pancakes that you didn't even want until your 'friend' (i.e. the spalsh screen) suggested it.

If you can't provide a reliably functioning service/product, then don't put it on the damn SPLASH SCREEN.

I call it the 2600, and if you're old enough to get the reference, then you know what an insult it is.

Well, I'm off to cook some actual non-analogous pancakes. Because I suddenly crave them, and THEY don't rely on someone at Cryptic doing their damn job properly.

As a side bonus, I don't need to buy a Master Key to unlock actual pancakes, either - and when I eat my pancakes, you guys don't get a huge "Draz just ate pancakes" plasterered rudely accross all o' yer screens.

Just sayin'.

Archived Post 03-16-2012 09:34 PM

1, Remans

2. Dominion

3. Devidians

4. Breen