Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Galaxy R - Totally obsolete? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260457)

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:13 AM

Galaxy R - Totally obsolete?
 
Ok, the point of this thread is because I'm wondering just what the Galaxy R could be good for now? It has one of the most restrictive boff layouts of a cruiser. It's as bad at doing damage as the Star Cruiser, and it's no better at healing than the Sovreign, Galaxy X, or Excelsior.

Ok, there's it's one "party trick", saucer seperation, but all this does is buff turn rate, with the current mechanics of power level caps, there is no bonus to firepower in this mode whatsoever, and an engineer has no trouble keeping weapons power cranked without having to split it up anyhow. In fact, there's more power on tap anyway in one piece.

And now that one small thing it had over the Galaxy X is dissapearing.

So is there anything that the Galaxy R excels at?

I think it'd be a lot more useful if it had a universal lieutenant instead of the science one. It's something that works fine on the Nebula and Oddysey, and I think the Galaxy R, especially as a C-store ship, needs some kind of boost or change to it's stats to remain competetive. It's just filler at the moment.

Is there any chance our beloved "proper" Galaxy will be brought up to scratch?

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:14 AM

It's only advantage is it looks pretty.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchum (Post 4089034)
It's only advantage is it looks pretty.

Oh, it excels at that! :)

I would really miss it if I move to an Oddy.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:27 AM

Personally I'd prefer something other than a different BO/console or whatever change to the Galaxy-R:
she's the second largest ship the Federation now has, she's when you look at the turnrate and iertia also the second least maneuverable ship the Federation has.
Compared to the Assault and the Star Cruisers that are both smaller and more maneuverable I'd like to see a (slight) buff to hull and/or the shield modifier (how about 1.05?) so she becomes the tankiest of the non+1 ships, which IMO would also fit her rather well.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister_dee
Personally I'd prefer something other than a different BO/console or whatever change to the Galaxy-R:
she's the second largest ship the Federation now has, she's when you look at the turnrate and iertia also the second least maneuverable ship the Federation has.
Compared to the Assault and the Star Cruisers that are both smaller and more maneuverable I'd like to see a (slight) buff to hull and/or the shield modifier (how about 1.05?) so she becomes the tankiest of the non+1 ships, which IMO would also fit her rather well.

It is a shame, the most iconic ship in Trek is also just about the most useless in this game. Yes it looks good, but you can basically get that look from the GX. Possible suggestions to make this ship usefull again.

Please note, this is not an exhaustive list, and i do not suggest taking all of the suggestions together.

Complete Uni BOff layout
Cmd / Lt Cmd / Lt Cmd / Lt
3/3/3 console layout
Buff to shield power
+1 BOff Power
4/3/2 layout on consoles, to directly reflect the amount of BOff powers are under a given catagory.

Additions

Make the Saucer Sep a toggle, with 0 Cooldown
Allow the Saucer to use a tractor beam,

Archived Post 03-12-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygone (Post 4089210)
It is a shame, the most iconic ship in Trek is also just about the most useless in this game. Yes it looks good, but you can basically get that look from the GX. Possible suggestions to make this ship usefull again.

Most iconic? My Constitution would like to have a word with you.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Ok, the point of this thread is because I'm wondering just what the Galaxy R could be good for now? It has one of the most restrictive boff layouts of a cruiser. It's as bad at doing damage as the Star Cruiser, and it's no better at healing than the Sovreign, Galaxy X, or Excelsior.

From a C-Store perspective the Galaxy R was really nothing special. The Excelsior is a better Tactical Cruiser. Heck, even the Galaxy Dreadnought was much snazzier and more combat worthy then the Galaxy R. The Galaxy R's only advantage is that it's one of the 3 ships a Gold member can buy with a 600 day Vet Reward Token - and getting it for free pre-FTP was it's only advantage then as well.

The only reason to buy a Galaxy R is because you like the way it looks. That's really it. Most most non-PvPers that's the only reason they buy any ship.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 02:33 PM

Give it a universal ensign and a universal console slot instead of the third sci console and you have a perfect alternative ship to the assault and star cruisers. It doesn't quite obsolete them because you still get them free at RA, and you can only get the Galaxy-R as a 600 day vet or for dilithium/C Points. Seems fair to me.

Archived Post 03-12-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis (Post 4089528)
Give it a universal ensign and a universal console slot instead of the third sci console and you have a perfect alternative ship to the assault and star cruisers. It doesn't quite obsolete them because you still get them free at RA, and you can only get the Galaxy-R as a 600 day vet or for dilithium/C Points. Seems fair to me.

that would be the LEAST they could do. the defiant is slightly inconvenienced by its 3rd tactical ensign, but it laughs it off with its 17 turn rate, 3 engineering consoles, and cloak. the intrepid benefits from 3 science ensign, theres few global cooldowns to worry about and science ships can never have enough science powers. these ships are not equal, the galaxy has the least optimal console, station, and turn rate of any of these 3, and of any cruiser, it needs to break from the tier 4 retrofit mold to not be underpowered.

personally i think the ship should have both LT and it's ENS stations made universal, and whichever type you slot the most of should be the type your 9th console should be. slot any of them as engineering? 5th engineering console, that is now an in game reality :(

if the galaxy can function with 60% of its interior empty during war time, that screams modular flexibility. its extreamly strong engineering capability is built in as the COM and LTC stations, but the rest of it should be fully swappable. a science heavy build like the ent-D had, or tactical heavy like the galaxys serving as battleships during the dominion war.

i just made a big long post in the pvp forum about how you can use the galaxy R relitivly effectivly, for those that want to use it and not suck hopelessly check it out. of course i would proboly be better off in an odyssey or star cruiser, but it works.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=128

Archived Post 03-12-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Ok, the point of this thread is because I'm wondering just what the Galaxy R could be good for now? It has one of the most restrictive boff layouts of a cruiser.

Interesting you say that because that is the Negh'var Klingon Cruiser BOFF layout.

I'd like to think that the people who fly the Galaxy R are doing it because they want a Galaxy with Saucer Seperation and not because they think it has an I win button.

I think what is needed is better saucer AI control or commands for it. If your saucer was actually useful it might make the ship more desirable. How about it being able to fire a Tachyon Beam?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.