Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Gal-X. Worth it? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260542)

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:26 PM

Gal-X. Worth it?
 
Title says it all. I run a science capt., currently in an Adv. Escort and am looking on how to spend my money best. It will mostly be used for STF's, with minor PvP here and there. Any advice would be appreciated. On a side note, i was also looking at the Kar'fi for my klink, any opinion on that?

Archived Post 03-12-2012 10:44 PM

Well, its a battleship, if that's what you want. I am a tac officer, so my love is the Defiant class. I have a retro Defiant and really love it. My friend has a Galaxy, not a Galaxy X, but a Galaxy and he can never beat me in pvp. That big Galaxy turns like its stuck in mud and I just fly circles around him pounding him hard. I heard that the big X's turn rate is even worse than the Galaxy. That massive spinal phaser canon could never tag me. You tractor me and I hit polarize hull, and off I go. So I guess it depends if you want a slow battleship or a fast destroyer.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 01:56 AM

In a 1v1 situation, the GX will beet a Defiant-R, if you cant, then the Defiant either seriously out gears you, out skills you, or you have the wrong BOffs and captain skills.

Tac captain in a GX, I was in the Nebula before, I will never use the Nebby again. The dmg output of the GX is good, and the Spinal Phaser Lance doing 25000* TWICE will decimate basically anything.

Do not expect same damage potential from a Sci Captain. If Science and you want to do damage, I would suggest the Prommie MVAM.

*Buffed up as a Tac Captain, with a crit onthe SPL.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerbomb256
Title says it all. I run a science capt., currently in an Adv. Escort and am looking on how to spend my money best. It will mostly be used for STF's, with minor PvP here and there. Any advice would be appreciated. On a side note, i was also looking at the Kar'fi for my klink, any opinion on that?

I love the dread, both from the game and the show. However I would not suggest it to everyone, especially since it costs so much and is probably one of the most limiting ships in the game. By limiting, I mean you're basically stuck using phasers because of the spinal lance. Any other weapon is just gimping yourself. It is also a prohibitively slow turner, so 3/5 of your space doffs will be conn officers, thus not allow you to experiment much with doff setups. Lastly because of the lance only has a 45 def frontal arc, the ship favors forward weapons more so than than beam boat. And since it is so slow, most people find it too frustrating (pointless if you're doing pvp) to use DHC, so usually it ends up being single cannons. The up side is if anyone in pvp makes a mistake and ends up in front of you, you can kill it in a single shot; although this is much LESS lilkely since you're sci and not tac.

TLDR version: No, I wouldn't suggest it.

Archived Post 03-14-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captmorgan101472
Well, its a battleship, if that's what you want. I am a tac officer, so my love is the Defiant class. I have a retro Defiant and really love it. My friend has a Galaxy, not a Galaxy X, but a Galaxy and he can never beat me in pvp. That big Galaxy turns like its stuck in mud and I just fly circles around him pounding him hard. I heard that the big X's turn rate is even worse than the Galaxy. That massive spinal phaser canon could never tag me. You tractor me and I hit polarize hull, and off I go. So I guess it depends if you want a slow battleship or a fast destroyer.

Flying circles around a Galaxy should not take you out of weapons range, in fact you should be in range of 3 or more beams at all times while fighting a Galaxy. I have all sorts of questions but my biggest is if it's a fair fight? A Galaxy is a T4 ship, a Defiant Retro is a T5. Are you a higher level than him? Does he only have MK 7/8 gear on his ship? Does he run a PVP setup?

I just don't see how your getting out of this unscathed if he knows what he is doing.

And all Galaxy class ships T4, T5 R, T5 X have 6 degrees a second for their turn rate.

To the Original Poster:
Personally I fly an Assualt and I think it would be hard for me to go back to a Galaxy or to an Oddessy.

Now if you love the ship it will do you fine in PVE or PVP if you gear it correctly, but I would wait for the Galaxy Pack to come out (Sometime this month). As for the Kar'fi check the Klingon Forums they would be more helpful, I've seen em do some real Damage in STF's but I'm not a Carrier type of guy.

Archived Post 03-14-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyell
I love the dread, both from the game and the show. However I would not suggest it to everyone, especially since it costs so much and is probably one of the most limiting ships in the game. By limiting, I mean you're basically stuck using phasers because of the spinal lance. Any other weapon is just gimping yourself. It is also a prohibitively slow turner, so 3/5 of your space doffs will be conn officers, thus not allow you to experiment much with doff setups. Lastly because of the lance only has a 45 def frontal arc, the ship favors forward weapons more so than than beam boat. And since it is so slow, most people find it too frustrating (pointless if you're doing pvp) to use DHC, so usually it ends up being single cannons. The up side is if anyone in pvp makes a mistake and ends up in front of you, you can kill it in a single shot; although this is much LESS lilkely since you're sci and not tac.

TLDR version: No, I wouldn't suggest it.

This is 'generally' bad advice, I know Cyell uses his cruiser as a 4xsingle cannon + 4xturret, build, but unless you can stack multi copies of CRF1 (e.g 2 Lt Tac BOffs) then the beam boat is 'prolly' more user friendly, yes the 4c/4t build does more dmg in each of its 90deg port and starboard arcs than the beam does in its 70 broadside arcs, but.... rear dmg is bad with turrets and nothing else.

If PvP, use 7 beams,
If PvE ONLY use 4 cannons, 4 turrets

Archived Post 03-14-2012 04:05 AM

I am buying it when she gets saucer seperwtion. I hope that will be soone


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM.