Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Question for Cryptic: Do you really care about pvp? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260623)

Archived Post 03-13-2012 09:32 AM

Question for Cryptic: Do you really care about pvp?

I do not mean to sound argumentative or anything like that. I am asking this earnestly.

I have been playing STO since before launch, and I seriously wonder this: Why has PvP been the like the unwanted step-child of STO for so long?

In two years pvp has not gotten one bit of new content.

In two years the devs have not created any incentive for players to play pvp.

In two years we have heard many times that there were great things coming for pvp, but then it never happens.

Why are there no rewards for pvp gameplay like there are in every other aspect of the game? (ie: items sets, boffs, unique items)

Why have I seen bugs/glitches reported in the pvp section of the forums and go ignored for weeks, then get immediate attention when the same bug is reported in the general feedback or PvE section?

All of these things tend to make pvp seem more like an after-thought and not as important, despite the fact that there are a lot of players (especially at max level) that play STO primarily for pvp. (for example: in my fleet alone there are 68 active members in our "Tactical Division", which means that space pvp is their primary reason for playing STO)

So my question is simply, why has it been this way? Why does the pvp'er seem to be the "less important customer" even though we pay the same amount to play as any other customer? If the answer is "I don't know.", or "we hate pvp", then so be it. I am just asking for an honest answer to a legitimate question.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 09:50 AM

I've had to go elsewhere for my PvP experience.

Archived Post 03-13-2012 09:51 AM

Have you seen what DStahl said on STOked. He said that they had a brand new system ready for rolling out Season 6!

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADMIRALCUTTER28
Have you seen what DStahl said on STOked. He said that they had a brand new system ready for rolling out Season 6!

And when Season 6 comes out, he'll be apologizing and telling us it will have to wait for Season 7.

And when Season 7 comes out, he'll be apologizing and telling us it will have to wait for Season 8.

And when Season 8 comes out, he'll be apologizing and telling us it will have to wait for Season 9.

See where I am going with this...

It's always some new system we have to wait for the next season for.

The existing PVP system WORKS. All they really need to do is add new settings to do it in. But that falls under the heading of playable content, and they don't do that too well.

They need to stop reinventing this game, lock in a set of mechanics and develop CONTENT that uses those mechanics.

I hate PvP, myself. But I don't hate the fact that others like to do it. But running the same battle zones over and over and over again cannot be any better than running the same PvE dailies, STFs and DOff assignments over and over and over again.

Game needs more PvE content, PvP content, STF content AND DOff content...

Content! Content! Content! Content! CONTENT! CONTENT! CONTENT! CONTENT!

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:16 AM

Maybe you're right, and pvp is an afterthought. Maybe they didn't know how many players would pvp. Maybe they now don't have the resources to keep the pve part of the game(the main part) updated on a regular basis, let alone the pvp. Sucks for people that only pvp I guess, but this isn't a pvp game really, it's a pve game, with some pvp added in. Is there a pure pvp mmo set in space?

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:37 AM

The answer is still out on that one, they did mention new tools to make PvP maps a lot faster. Wich in my opinion is a step in the right direction. Now they just need to actually use those tools to actually make new maps. :)

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:38 AM

I would recommend listening to some of the recent interviews with dStahl -- he mentions PvP quite often, and, as a PvP player, the news is pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
I would recommend listening to some of the recent interviews with dStahl -- he mentions PvP quite often, and, as a PvP player, the news is pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

With all due respect, Brandon, Dan has said a lot of things about a lot of... uhm... things, which have never manifested themselves. It's not necessarily his fault as he does not control the purse strings for hiring people that would make those things possible. He and Jack Emmert are very good at opening their mouths and telling us about all the cool stuff STO will have. The same result has proven true for both of them: We're still waiting.

And as I said above, what he talks about is a new system slated for release in Season 6. We don't need a new system. We need new content for the system we already have.

Get your bosses at PWE to loosen the purse strings andn hire a team of content designers, which is what SHOULD have been done the first day PW took over, get them trained as quickly as possible and put them to work.

Content is king here. Content, my friend... Content...

Archived Post 03-13-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk (Post 4091267)
We don't need a new system. We need new content for the system we already have.

Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" :) I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Archived Post 03-13-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Trust me (if you are willing), we need a new "system" :) I forget which interview Dan mentions "why" on, but there is a reason. Such a new system would allow even more content for PvP. I know you may be doubtful, but, time will tell :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

It's hard to trust a company that has promised so much and delivered so little, with every promise having a "soon" or "next season" attached.

Lack of content exists now. Not in Season 6. Now. So a solution should be implemented now.

It is as I have said before, if even half of the effort put towards the cash grab mechanics that have been added to the game since going F2P were applied to supporting the game itself, the game would be twice what it is.

Stop worrying so much about making money. If you make a solid product, the money will come.

But PWE seems to want to make as much money with as little effort as possible. After the lottery box fiasco so many people have opened their eyes as to what game PW is playing. I predict that the next cash grab will not be nearly as successful. And the one that follows after that one, even less so. People do want stuff. But they also want a game to use that stuff in. And as they run out of content (those who are new to the game) they will see less and less of a point to buying stuff.

What will happen when the cash grabs stop grabbing the cash? Will PW finally take game content seriously? Or will they just shut STO down and use it as a tax write-off.

I don't speak for everyone. But I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say, "I'm tired of waiting."

I'm not buying a single C-point or subscribing to the game until serious effort gets put into making the GAME worth spending money on. Because as far as I am concerned, right now, with its severe lack in content, it is not.

I know that Cryptic can do good work. When they DO release playable content, it is pretty darned good. As a silver, I would pay the C-point equivilant of a month's subscription to unlock access to the next featured episode series. But I will not pay for fluff.