Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Would love some Dev response to Ker'rat (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260918)

Archived Post 03-14-2012 09:08 PM

Would love some Dev response to Ker'rat

I think Ker'rat could be something interesting. I think there are some things at play that could make it a competitive arena where builds that work for just PvP might not work there and builds for PvE might not as well. You'd have to change things up a bit rather than what it currently is. I know there's been talk of nuking it, and I know it's been bugged since it was released but it's really just become a graveyard full of afk farmers and bugged out Borg. And I mean, really over the top bugged out Borg:
Cubes are stuck in a warp/stretch

-I have seen an entire instance of stretched out cubes doing 360's
Sphere's and probes become stuck inside the encryption beacons, making them untargatable but able to target the player just fine.

-The cubes have done this very rarely but enough to make the instance incredibly difficult. I have seen 3 cubes inside an encryption beacon, inside each other.
Borg cubes no tilt from side to side, back and forth (and at times do so while stretched out and spinning).
And now, my favorite: invisible spheres and probes that circle around the player in a constant warp, remaining untargetable. Oddly enough, the only way to get away from them is to go TOWARDS them as this somehow makes you move AWAY from them.

So I have a few questions about this. One, how can these new bugs pop up if this area of the game is basically left alone? Two, if it's going to be ignored, shouldn't it just be nuked and something else similar be put in it's place? The game mechanics are there, the non-bugged Borg exist, not much would have to really be altered. And three, Why has it been completely ignored since release?

The zone chat is very lively and I constantly see people outside of it, so it's a well played area (mostly, at this point, for the worker/farmers of the lot), why leave that to decay? I have to be honest, it worries me that one of the larger played battlefields/maps is completely ignored (if not made worse by the latest Borg bug). It tells me that general game play mechanics are being left untouched while shiny, new, over priced ships has the focus of the, what seems like, the entire Cryptic team (aside from the couple of Devs I see taking doffs to new levels on a regular basis).

I know the Devs need to focus on money, hence the new ships, but it does little good if there is not much to do with those new ships. I could only imagine how awesome something like Ker'rat would be if there was some attention put into it (not even a lot of attention) and some objectives added that make it worth PvPing while PvEing. Perhaps an optional objective of killing such and such amount of players before the main is achieved or accolade/rewards for reaching a certain amount of points on the leader boards (though that may be difficult since new players can enter at any point). Possibly make it a queued instance without the cooldown of STF's. I don't know that I much like that idea since I do like popping in whenever etc, but SOMETHING to keep Ker'rat alive.

Archived Post 03-15-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasafras
I think Ker'rat could be something interesting. I think there are some things at play that could make it a competitive arena where builds that work for just PvP might not work there and builds for PvE might not as well. You'd have to change things up a bit rather than what it currently is. I know there's been talk of nuking it, and I know it's been bugged since it was released but it's really just become a graveyard full of afk farmers and bugged out Borg.

And I mean, really over the top bugged out Borg:

Cubes are stuck in a warp/stretch.

I have seen an entire instance of stretched out cubes doing 360's

Sphere's and probes become stuck inside the encryption beacons, making them untargetable but able totarget the player just fine.

The cubes have done this very rarely but enough to make the instance incredibly difficult. I have seen 3 cubes inside an encryption beacon, inside each other.

Borg cubes now tilt from side to side, back and forth and at times do so while stretched out and spinning.

And now, my favorite: invisible spheres and probes that circle around the player in a constant warp, remaining untargetable. Oddly enough, the only way to get away from them is to go TOWARDS them as this somehow makes you move AWAY from them.

So I have a few questions about this. One, how can these new bugs pop up if this area of the game is basically left alone? Two, if it's going to be ignored, shouldn't it just be nuked and something else similar be put in it's place? The game mechanics are there, the non-bugged Borg exist, not much would have to really be altered. And three, why has it been completely ignored since release?

The zone chat is very lively and I constantly see people outside of it. It's a well played area why leave that to decay? I have to be honest, it worries me that one of the larger played battlefields/maps is completely ignored if not made worse by the latest Borg bug. It tells me that general game play mechanics are being left untouched while shiny new overpriced ships have the focus of what seems like the entire Cryptic team aside from the couple of Devs I see taking doffs to new levels on a regular basis.

I know the Devs need to focus on money, hence the new ships, but it does little good if there is not much to do with those new ships. I could only imagine how awesome something like Ker'rat would be if there was some attention put into it and some objectives added that make it worth PvPing while PvEing. Perhaps an optional objective of killing such and such amount of players before the main is achieved or accolade/rewards for reaching a certain amount of points on the leader boards (though that may be difficult since new players can enter at any point). Possibly make it a queued instance without the cool down of STF's. SOMETHING to keep Ker'rat alive.

Good post. I agree the zone requires some attention.

Archived Post 03-15-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thissler
Good post. I agree the zone requires some attention.

The Zone hasn't gotten real attention since Beta. The same old bugs are still in there and I don't think they will ever going to fix them...

Archived Post 03-15-2012 06:50 AM

Use some paragraphs, my friend, the text is really hard to read without them.

Quote:

nd now, my favorite: invisible spheres and probes that circle around the player in a constant warp, remaining untargetable. Oddly enough, the only way to get away from them is to go TOWARDS them as this somehow makes you move AWAY from them.
Oh, I remember that bug on Tribble, haven'T seen it on Holodeck yet. Maybe it needs a mostly empty instance to occur. Very "funny" thing.

The last think I remember officially being said was "Nuke Ker'rat". I don't think that reflects the current intentions... It certainly didn't reflect any actions that were taken so far.

Ker'rat is still a lot of fun, but the bugs really seem emberassing for a two year old title. It may be particularly popular as there is a repeatable dilithium mission, and you can get a ton of gear from drops and mission rewards. And it's the only Open PvP zone. It's a great way to spend your time between Arena and CnH matches...

Archived Post 03-15-2012 06:51 AM

Sheesh, don't you guys read patch notes ever? Ker'rat is getting some much needed love and attention and today, as it goes. Didn't you know? After all this time and all the problems in Ker'rat they have finally devoted some developer time to the zone. They are adding a 30m cooldown timer on the mission in there. What more could you need?

Archived Post 03-15-2012 07:08 AM

Because the answer to bugs is to let you see them less often! :)

Archived Post 03-15-2012 08:18 AM

So now, the most efficient way is to farm each character there once, then move to the next and cycle through, rather than doing one 6 times, then the other 6 times, then the other 6 times? Wow Cryptic, you sure solved that farming problem well.:D

In addition to the straight up crazy Borg behaviour listed, I had an encounter with a rogue tac cube that was nowhere near where it should be in my BoP. Moving towards it and firing, only my turret fired. Also, the camera wanted to point away from the tac cube. However, if I turned away from it, to where the camera was facing... my DHC fired... BACKWARDS.

Is introducing a bugged out borg behaviour to Ker'rat some sort of right of passage for new dev staff or something?

Archived Post 03-15-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Is introducing a bugged out borg behaviour to Ker'rat some sort of right of passage for new dev staff or something?
I can honestly picture this..

"Now before we let you touch any of the real code we need you to mess around with the Ker'rat code for a week."

"Once we have identified and pushed a new bug into the live server for that zone you may get to work in your department."

"What your in the art department?"

"No worries. You can't make it any worse."

Archived Post 03-15-2012 09:44 AM

Not sure how a zone gets that effed up... it seems like they coded a special set of borg specifically for Ker'rat with AI to patrol and such... then... IT BECAME SELF AWARE.

Now every Borg is Neo from the matrix and they are trying to warp out of the game into reality!!! WE CREATED THE BORG!

Archived Post 03-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahalu
Not sure how a zone gets that effed up... it seems like they coded a special set of borg specifically for Ker'rat with AI to patrol and such... then... IT BECAME SELF AWARE.

Now every Borg is Neo from the matrix and they are trying to warp out of the game into reality!!! WE CREATED THE BORG!

The Ker'rat-Borg Coding QA is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th. Human decisions are removed from Ker'rat defense. Ker'rat-Borg begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.