Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   The Foundry Awards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=261700)

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:21 PM

The Foundry Awards

I just played a series of Foundry missions that made my jaw drop. The author is a genius and it shows in the way he told the story from start to finish.

I know that Cryptic has been "talking" about getting some kind of recognition going for Foundry offers but it just isn't coming soon. All the while people are laboring away at the Foundry with really no recognition of the stellar efforts they are putting into it. It's also getting vastly more difficult to identify content worth playing since we only have a 5 star rating system, and it just doesn't cut it.

Who should do this? Should a committee be elected somehow within the STO community or should an already established community like STOked take over this (I know they have the Foundry files but it's not an awards thing)?

I'd volunteer to kick up something but I think it really should be a group effort. I'd like to see the awards come out first, second, and third prize biweekly and get announced in as many places as possible (STOked, SSR, forums, etc.)

I think it's definitely time to give our authors the recognition they deserve. They are the key to generating the new content that Cryptic is just so lax in producing.

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:22 PM

What mission was it?

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:27 PM

You can tip in dil, but I agree, something more would be appropriate. Perhaps their own kind of accolade/title system.

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mailman653 (Post 4105409)
You can tip in dil, but I agree, something more would be appropriate. Perhaps their own kind of accolade/title system.

This is more out of game kinda like STOked has but not just one or two missions rated but a bunch. They do a good job it's just they use the same 5 point system I think Cryptic uses. An accolade system would be great but I don't think Cryptic will put the effort into it.

I thought Stahl was supposed to do this when he got back but he was promoted back to EP again and didn't do anything to promote the Foundry. Now that we are going into another content black hole I think getting something in place now is really important to get everyone motivated.

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnBludd (Post 4105342)
What mission was it?

The Atlas Files by Nagorak. Absolutely awesome Star Trek writing.

It is EXTREMELY heavy in the dialog area but I'm telling you well worth it. He put in a brilliant branching system that really captures what you do throughout the mission series. You need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours (2 for the full experience with optionals) but it's very well worth it. It makes you feel just like you are walking through a real live Star Trek episode and your dialog and combat makes a difference.

Archived Post 03-18-2012 05:48 PM

Thanks, I'll try it later.

Archived Post 03-18-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrys (Post 4105652)
The Atlas Files by Nagorak. Absolutely awesome Star Trek writing.

It is EXTREMELY heavy in the dialog area but I'm telling you well worth it. He put in a brilliant branching system that really captures what you do throughout the mission series. You need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours (2 for the full experience with optionals) but it's very well worth it. It makes you feel just like you are walking through a real live Star Trek episode and your dialog and combat makes a difference.

I second this it is truly fantastic. Also I would recommend "Not Our War" its more action oriented but it still has a deep story and excellent dialogue options.

Archived Post 03-20-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjames3653
I second this it is truly fantastic. Also I would recommend "Not Our War" its more action oriented but it still has a deep story and excellent dialogue options.

Agree with that one as well! Included with this should be a hall of fame I think recognizing the true hardcore authors out there.

I'm going to get moving on this. I have a rating system in thinking about so I'll post that soon. Please anyone who is interested in becoming a committee member please post here. We will start by selecting the well knowns like those listed above and get what we what we can from more missions.

Archived Post 03-20-2012 01:27 PM

Nagorak has been the only author I happily tipped max dilithium to for each mission and 5 stars for what little their worth.

Make sure to start playing his mission "Dereliction Duty" which sets up the atlas affair missions.

Archived Post 03-20-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nynik
Nagorak has been the only author I happily tipped max dilithium to for each mission and 5 stars for what little their worth.

Make sure to start playing his mission "Dereliction Duty" which sets up the atlas affair missions.

Oh ya forgot to mention those. Extremely well done too.

I'm also trying to find a mission I did awhile back where you get miniaturized and sent inside an admiral to battle microscopic alien infections. Very interesting concept that played out well. If anyone knows let me know.

So any comments on the awards idea? I really want to give authors recognition (prizes eventually) and selfishly make it easier to find the good stuff. Playing the top three for 2-3 hours would suck up my game time for a weekend easily.