Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Star Trek Online is missing something huge (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=262447)

Archived Post 03-22-2012 04:19 PM

Star Trek Online is missing something huge

Perhaps the most recognizable thing about Star Trek is missing: the music. I can't remember if I've ever heard the Original Series theme song or the Next Generation orchestral intro, if at all. If no one know anything about Star Trek, they'll recognize the music instantly. It is something that is catchy. I frankly have turned off the in game music, the pounding klingon drum beat that masks itself as a theme. I don't see why the Star Trek themes are not in this game.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 04:24 PM

I have been asking for more trek music since the beginning of time. :D

After playing TOR on the free weekend it really brought up that fact that STO lacks iconic music.

MORE TREK MUSIC PLEASE!!!! :cool:

Archived Post 03-22-2012 04:52 PM

Yeah i want to hear the Voyager theme as i ride around in my soon to be Intrepid Retrofit.

They at least have the original series hand to hand battle music in the mission "Coliseum" while you fight in the arena

Archived Post 03-22-2012 05:05 PM

I would love to hear the Star Trek VI overture in-game and that of ST II. Those were epic.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 05:16 PM

Problem is, they'd need an indefinite license. Allegedly, they looked into them and they're way out of budget, at least for the music by famous composers.

My thing is, a couple hundred dollars spent in a royalty free library would yieldhours of more Trek-like music and in particular more sentimental out of combat music which is a must for the Trek experience.

Currently, they only have one track that doesn't sound like battle music and two out of combat tracks in the whole game... and the battle music all sounds very opera or puzzler.

I would be happier with cheaper Goldsmith/Horner/McCarthy-like scores.

I decided to license music for a Foundry trailer once.

http://youtu.be/ymjS2kLyJ74

The music here (aside from the Trek opening and the mission completion music) cost $5 total to license and consists of two tracks I mixed together. And the licenses were good for any project size. Cryptic could license these tracks for $5 total.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 06:26 PM

That was very good...nice touch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Problem is, they'd need an indefinite license. Allegedly, they looked into them and they're way out of budget, at least for the music by famous composers.

My thing is, a couple hundred dollars spent in a royalty free library would yieldhours of more Trek-like music and in particular more sentimental out of combat music which is a must for the Trek experience.

Currently, they only have one track that doesn't sound like battle music and two out of combat tracks in the whole game... and the battle music all sounds very opera or puzzler.

I would be happier with cheaper Goldsmith/Horner/McCarthy-like scores.

I decided to license music for a Foundry trailer once.

http://youtu.be/ymjS2kLyJ74

The music here (aside from the Trek opening and the mission completion music) cost $5 total to license and consists of two tracks I mixed together. And the licenses were good for any project size. Cryptic could license these tracks for $5 total.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99

I would be fine with more Trek-like music even if its not from movies and shows. Right now there are just too few tracks, and many of them dont sound very Trek.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 06:54 PM

This Guy has made a youtube playlist that has many hours worth of music on it. most of it Star Trek.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 07:12 PM

One thing I always loved about Star Wars games is they had the music from the movies. I guess that's because Lucas owns everything in the IP. I agree this is a huge thing that is missing from STO and has been missing from the very beginning.

I've supported adding canon music to the game whenever possible. One of my favorite missions is Coliseum. It's just awesome to hear the Amok Time music. I sit there and let the animals maul that traitorous Reman worm while I enjoy the musical awesomeness hehe.

I hope they add more canon music in the future. Maybe all the chance box money can be put to some use here. If it's still too costly, then they could compose thematic music that's done as closely as possible to the canon music without getting sued.

If you watch a lot of the Science Channel like I do, some of the shows have musical scores that's very similar to the Star Trek theme or X-Files theme with a couple of the notes different. Maybe they can do something similar to this for STO.

Archived Post 03-22-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Butters
This Guy has made a youtube playlist that has many hours worth of music on it. most of it Star Trek.

How can that random You Tube guy have all those Star Trek songs and not Star trek Online??

Listening to some of those just makes me sad they are not in STO. They add so much to the Trek feel.