Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Ranks/Levels (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=263970)

Archived Post 03-30-2012 08:53 PM

Ranks/Levels
 
I don't frequent the forums so I may be beating a dead horse BUT...

1. Star Trek fans want to be Captains, not Admirals.
2. Admirals command large areas/fleets, not individual starships

SO

1. Level 40-50 should be Captain rather than Admiral (career progression Lt, j.g., Lt, LtCmdr, Cmdr, Captain instead)
2. Use Admiral titles as an incentive for Fleet play (i.e. If you form a fleet, you get to be a Rear Admiral lower half. If your fleet gets big enough, you become a Rear admiral Upper half, etc. Say your fleet reaches x ships, others in the fleet can be appointed to rear admiral lower half, etc as the senior leader moves up and the fleet size grows)

THUS

1. Admirals are actually in charge of something
2. Being in the admiralty means something
3. Casual players get to be the Captains they want to be
4. This makes more sense militarily and in the context of cannon

Note: All Senior Captains and Admirals would be "capped" at level 50 but there is no reason why additional incentives/little perks can't be given to the Admiralty who are making an effort to build/grow their community. These Admirals would actually be community leaders whereas Captains would be the more casual player.

Archived Post 03-31-2012 12:26 AM

I too would rather be Captain 50, than a Vice admiral 50. They already show you your level so it is only a title change. I really hope they do this at some point. I hate being called Admiral.

Archived Post 03-31-2012 03:25 AM

I actually named my latest toon "Captain <Lastname> so I can convince myself i'm still a captain at 50. I refuse to wear the rank pips higher than captain too, dangit!

Archived Post 04-01-2012 02:09 AM

I wouldn't mind being an admiral so much if I could put promote my Boff's to Captain and I could assign them to other ships in my inventory. Admirals have the ability to call in other ships, but it would be much cooler if they were my old ships captained by Boff's I developed.

Plus, some missions have NPC ships you work with. How much cooler if at least some of the time they were your ships under your captains.

Archived Post 04-01-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayHH31A
I don't frequent the forums so I may be beating a dead horse BUT...

1. Star Trek fans want to be Captains, not Admirals.
2. Admirals command large areas/fleets, not individual starships

SO

1. Level 40-50 should be Captain rather than Admiral (career progression Lt, j.g., Lt, LtCmdr, Cmdr, Captain instead)
2. Use Admiral titles as an incentive for Fleet play (i.e. If you form a fleet, you get to be a Rear Admiral lower half. If your fleet gets big enough, you become a Rear admiral Upper half, etc. Say your fleet reaches x ships, others in the fleet can be appointed to rear admiral lower half, etc as the senior leader moves up and the fleet size grows)

THUS

1. Admirals are actually in charge of something
2. Being in the admiralty means something
3. Casual players get to be the Captains they want to be
4. This makes more sense militarily and in the context of cannon

Note: All Senior Captains and Admirals would be "capped" at level 50 but there is no reason why additional incentives/little perks can't be given to the Admiralty who are making an effort to build/grow their community. These Admirals would actually be community leaders whereas Captains would be the more casual player.

Speak for yourself. I'm a bigger fan than most people. I've known Star Tek since back when it was paper mache graphics. I'm fine with the ranks the way they are? You want to be a captain. Go change the rank on your character if you want it so bad. Don't try to turn the game up side down for other players to satisfy your fetish.

Archived Post 04-01-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexin_Cobra (Post 4135342)
Speak for yourself. I'm a bigger fan than most people. I've known Star Tek since back when it was paper mache graphics. I'm fine with the ranks the way they are? You want to be a captain. Go change the rank on your character if you want it so bad. Don't try to turn the game up side down for other players to satisfy your fetish.

Agreed 100%

Archived Post 04-01-2012 07:06 PM

But what's going to happen when they raise the level cap?
We can't have hundreds of people having Fleet Admiral ranking. They need to introduce Lt. Jr, Commodore, and Fleet Captain ranking for the characters that hasn't already attain anything higher.

Archived Post 04-01-2012 07:24 PM

Lt. Jr commanding a ship? sorry but no way that could happen.

Also there is Commodore ... that is Rear Admiral, Lower Half as you could say it as its just 5 levels for Lower and Upper its pretty much Rear Admiral the fact is the rank is in the game.

Simply put, the rank=level in hindsight was perhaps a mistake, it would be better just leave it with general descriptions or none at all (nothing wrong with leaving it as Level I, Level II, etc ...) with rank progression would be handled in a separate way but that ship have sailed.

Archived Post 04-01-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archofwinter
But what's going to happen when they raise the level cap?
We can't have hundreds of people having Fleet Admiral ranking. They need to introduce Lt. Jr, Commodore, and Fleet Captain ranking for the characters that hasn't already attain anything higher.

Why do they need to raise the level cap? This is a Free to play game they aren't going to try and sell us an expansion.

Archived Post 04-03-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Why do they need to raise the level cap? This is a Free to play game they aren't going to try and sell us an expansion.

It's been "proven" in other MMOs that "completionists" will return to grind through everything in order to have it all. Therefore, upping the level cap will draw all these "completionists" back into the fold until they get to the new level. Meanwhile, PWE smiles all the way to the bank if even 10% of these people start investing in C-points...

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Lt. Jr commanding a ship? sorry but no way that could happen.

My "argument" that this could happen:

1. In the RL Navy, O3s can command smaller PT-boat or cutter sized ships, O4s get small Destroyers and PT flotillas, and O5s get the lighter cruisers or destroyer squadron commands...

2. This is "wartime". As the tutorial "illustrates", Starfleet has shifted back into "merit based commands", in that those who demonstrate leadership get the ships. Remember the tutorial - Ensign Player, as the sole surviving commissioned officer during a Borg attack, successfully brings the hulk of the ship, with a majority of the enlisted crew, home. In recognition of the effort, Ensign player receives a two grade battlefield promotion to O3 Lt, gets fast tracked into the command program, and is assigned command of a "training" vessel.

If I were to propose a revision to the tutorial, in advance of a rank/level realignment, Ensign Player would only receive a one grade field promotion, to Lt Jg (O2), and is still "fast tracked" into the command school. Due to necessity of senior officers on the front, LtJg Player is given a command from the Academy (ie, the crew are mostly raw cadets), doing the "milk runs" of the Sirius / Alpha Cent blocks. Upon "graduation" from Command school (ie, Level 10), Player receives a promotion to full Lt., is given their own full command, and begins the "deeper" series of missions in the Klingon Neutral Zone.

At this point, the rank realignment kicks into full gear. The lower ranks stay on the "promote on the zeroes" system we have now, to finish the climb to captain, Lt Cmdr at 20, Cmdr at 30, Captain at 40 (instead of 40 being the introduction to the Admiralty). At this point, the progression can be "changed" to promoting on even zeroes, with the odd zeroes getting a recognition of some sort. My thought would be 50 = Fleet Captain (Commodore, still max out with Captain's pips), 60 = RA-LH, 70 = RA-LH, service ribbon, 80 = RA-UH, 90 = RA-UH, second service ribbon, 100=VA. Not sure how to handle the "don't touch my bars" club, yeah, we "earned" VA in a time where ranks were handed out like water, it could be a "provisional" rank (still allowing all the bars, etc.) but newer players (and those not at cap) will have a long climb to VA...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.