Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Boarding Partys PvP Style (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=264240)

Archived Post 04-01-2012 08:09 PM

Boarding Partys PvP Style

I'm beting this has been brought up before. If you were able to board another players ship (only during PvP of course) to add alittle twist to the game would you support that. Or on the other hand would that be something you'd like to see added?

Archived Post 04-01-2012 08:26 PM

and stop flying my ship.....for....some lolground?

????????

Archived Post 04-01-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
and stop flying my ship.....for....some lolground?

????????

thats the basic idea behind boarding a ship. that way you can capture the captain

Archived Post 04-01-2012 11:00 PM

The only game that I've seen make ship+boarding combat work was Pirates of the Burning Sea, and there it takes quite a bit longer to down even a stationary ship. Here, ships pop far too fast to make a transition to boarding combat feasible. They would seriously need to reduce the rate at which all ships can be destroyed in order to give enough time for a boarding op to play out without the boarding ship being taken down in the process.

Archived Post 04-02-2012 12:20 AM

This was an idea I was hoping was implemented when the game launched. The defending captain gets to use his bridge officers and crew to defend his ship, while the boarding party uses their captain and bridge officers to assault the enemy ship engineering / bridge, etc.

The two ships that got engaged in this type of combat are made untargetable in space.

If the boarding attack is successful, then the boarded ship is destroyed, if it isn't, then space combat resumes as normal or something like that.

Archived Post 04-02-2012 01:17 AM

lolground in shipbattles destroyed potbs for me. so: noooooo.

Archived Post 04-02-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miogaruna (Post 4136289)
This was an idea I was hoping was implemented when the game launched. The defending captain gets to use his bridge officers and crew to defend his ship, while the boarding party uses their captain and bridge officers to assault the enemy ship engineering / bridge, etc.

The two ships that got engaged in this type of combat are made untargetable in space.

If the boarding attack is successful, then the boarded ship is destroyed, if it isn't, then space combat resumes as normal or something like that.

Yes thats exactully what i had in mind, thats a what imho would make pvp warzones much better.
Thanks for understanding

Archived Post 04-02-2012 06:10 AM

Fun concept in theory.
Next to impossible to implement in the fast paced action of PvP and to make the two ships involved untargetible would only turn space PvP into ground PvP on the whole and why should they be removed from Play just becuase a boarding action is going on?
While you are engaging in a boarding action against your target his friend has come along and toasted your fairly defenseless ship.
Even if you succeed in capturing the enemy ship, what happens next? It dies and respawns? You can't use it, perse, due to it not being tied to your account and such and in the meantime your own vessel is a debris field.
Seems like a long drawn out way to bring ground combat into Space PvP for no good reason.

Archived Post 04-02-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 4136607)
Fun concept in theory.
Next to impossible to implement in the fast paced action of PvP and to make the two ships involved untargetible would only turn space PvP into ground PvP on the whole and why should they be removed from Play just becuase a boarding action is going on?
While you are engaging in a boarding action against your target his friend has come along and toasted your fairly defenseless ship.
Even if you succeed in capturing the enemy ship, what happens next? It dies and respawns? You can't use it, perse, due to it not being tied to your account and such and in the meantime your own vessel is a debris field.
Seems like a long drawn out way to bring ground combat into Space PvP for no good reason.

Pretty much.

This could work if a new PvP mode were implemented that involved only 1v1 combat... or a complete overhaul of the entire space combat system that would slow combat down to a crawl, eliminate you from the game if you die, and switched the captured vessels allegiance. Neither of these are viable or attractive options.

Space combat in this game is fun at its current pace.

1v1 should never be the focus of Game-driven PvP, in any MMO. Private matches sure, but the queues, never.

Archived Post 04-02-2012 07:55 AM

Now if BP had a very low, low proc chance of actually gaining control of target vessel so that said vessel was removed from game to respawn.....
That may be something different.