Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   HUD Color (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=265032)

Archived Post 04-06-2012 11:54 AM

HUD Color
 
OK I realize this may be an old topic that's been discussed before and I'm not sure if this is the section to bring it up, but I have a problem with the Klingon HUD.
The red on red HUD is giving me monster headaches, I don't know or care if it's that color because it's supposed to be cannon. I might be playing a Klingon but I'm still a human and red is very hard to focus on. I wish there was some way to either reduce the color saturation of the hud or even to turn the hud borders off entirely. Even the actionbar icons have a reddish overlay. which I think is overkill.

Archived Post 04-11-2012 02:22 AM

Agreed, the KDF UI color scheme is terrible, horribly so. You kinda get used to it, but it still is terribly horrible. The UI should not make it impossible to see and identifiy things like "what tier of DOFFs do I have a token for again".

It not only is too red, it's also too dark overall. The notion that "KDF = evil so UI = evily dark red" is childish and really not needed.

Archived Post 04-13-2012 01:01 AM

Red serves a number of purposes that are quite nice.

It provides illumination without wrecking night vision. If you come from a well-lit area that is red-saturated into darkness, your night-vision will be full-on. Very handy.

It provides a sense of urgency. Red induces physical changes in our body, including an increase in blood pressure, feelings of alertness, and aggression. Perfect for a military bridge of warriors.

However, there's a reason that Klingon vessels had the red interspersed with green. It provides a visual breakup for the monotony. It dampens the powerful effect of the color. It also allows color to serve as an indicator, green of that tone being a nice, neutral color to the eyes.

In addition, the red isn't really red, but AMBER. It's softer, lighter, and much much MUCH easier on the eyes for prolonged periods. This is why the indicators in your car are usually mostly amber, but only the brake failure light is truly RED.

I second the motion for toning it down, with the suggestion that while they're at it we're allowed some limited amount of color customization. After all, if we're flying the galor, why is our HUD still federation blue?

Archived Post 04-13-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate525 (Post 4158697)
Red serves a number of purposes that are quite nice.

It provides illumination without wrecking night vision. If you come from a well-lit area that is red-saturated into darkness, your night-vision will be full-on. Very handy.

Yea, so... No Night Vision here... non related.

It provides a sense of urgency. Red induces physical changes in our body, including an increase in blood pressure, feelings of alertness, and aggression. Perfect for a military bridge of warriors.

So... Theres not urgency 90% of the time... non related.
Also... theese are humans, behind a screen using the UI... not imaginary warriors... Non Related


However, there's a reason that Klingon vessels had the red interspersed with green. It provides a visual breakup for the monotony. It dampens the powerful effect of the color. It also allows color to serve as an indicator, green of that tone being a nice, neutral color to the eyes.

It's sill not related... Theese are players sitting at a computer, in a room/livingroom... Not some imaginary characters on a imaginary bridge.

In addition, the red isn't really red, but AMBER. It's softer, lighter, and much much MUCH easier on the eyes for prolonged periods. This is why the indicators in your car are usually mostly amber, but only the brake failure light is truly RED.

Red on Black, design wise is a BAD idea... Amber even worse... at least as long as theres no balance... This is "amber" all around with a pixel here and there that isnt... The KDF UI is BAD for the eyes...

I second the motion for toning it down, with the suggestion that while they're at it we're allowed some limited amount of color customization. After all, if we're flying the galor, why is our HUD still federation blue?

Please stop thinking about the game as real life... cause it is not.

Theres a reason people like me spend half their education in a design class going over usability and color-usage to make sure the user likes what they see, and ain't scared away by monster colors.

Archived Post 04-13-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 4158706)
Please stop thinking about the game as real life... cause it is not.

Theres a reason people like me spend half their education in a design class going over usability and color-usage to make sure the user likes what they see, and ain't scared away by monster colors.

I'm sorry, but when was it a crime to think of things from a realistic, logical point of view? I'm not disagreeing that the UI isn't bad, I'm just saying that there is logical justification for that kind of UI in the real world.

Archived Post 04-13-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate525 (Post 4159191)
I'm sorry, but when was it a crime to think of things from a realistic, logical point of view? I'm not disagreeing that the UI isn't bad, I'm just saying that there is logical justification for that kind of UI in the real world.

Wich leads us back to STO not being the real world.

Archived Post 04-14-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 4159213)
Wich leads us back to STO not being the real world.

As a Star Trek fan, I want my Klingon interface to look Klingon! Blood red fuels my thirst for conquest and battle, while the cool blue of the sniveling petaQ' federation interface reminds me that they are diplomats and scientists first, and warriors last.

Archived Post 04-14-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 4159213)
Wich leads us back to STO not being the real world.

There is such a thing as immersion.

Archived Post 04-14-2012 07:53 PM

Hmmm isn't there some scientific thing to colors?

Blue Calming, Lowers Blood Pressure.

Red energetic, stirred, raises blood pressure.

Maybe why so many of the primary Klink players are so cranky all the time from staring at the red UI... :rolleyes: hehe

Archived Post 04-14-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate525 (Post 4161850)
There is such a thing as immersion.

Yea... heres immersion for you: How often do you use nightvision on a bridge...?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_Trekkie (Post 4161733)
As a Star Trek fan, I want my Klingon interface to look Klingon! Blood red fuels my thirst for conquest and battle, while the cool blue of the sniveling petaQ' federation interface reminds me that they are diplomats and scientists first, and warriors last.

Indeed... but you can still create a red-ish UI without killing the eyes of your customers... Wich is the point here.

The UI design is poor at best... And while we are at it, the KDF UI looks nothing like the stations at a KDF bridge from the series.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 PM.