Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Reverse Shield Polarity needs more counters. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=266483)

Archived Post 04-14-2012 10:48 PM

Reverse Shield Polarity needs more counters.

As-is, having the only definitively anti-RSP power in the game exclusive to one career is extremely poor balancing. I mean, a power like Tractor Beam has thirteen different counters and a power with this much utility only has one that a third of the game's characters can access? And they have the nerve to buff it?

Throw out your ideas.

I think Tachyon Beam being a hard counter would be nice and throw Science Vessels a bone after the horrific nerfs they've suffered recently. Having Directed Energy Modulation affect the healing in some way also seems fair.

Archived Post 04-15-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starboard_Nacelle (Post 4162246)
As-is, having the only definitively anti-RSP power in the game exclusive to one career is extremely poor balancing. I mean, a power like Tractor Beam has thirteen different counters and a power with this much utility only has one that a third of the game's characters can access? And they have the nerve to buff it?

Throw out your ideas.

I think Tachyon Beam being a hard counter would be nice and throw Science Vessels a bone after the horrific nerfs they've suffered recently. Having Directed Energy Modulation affect the healing in some way also seems fair.

Your forgetting that there is also a rare DOFF that can counter it... if it procs....

And there is a Set bonus.. if it procs and selects that buff.. (Oh wait.. that is still not working.. never mind!)

Other then that, yeah there are times I agree that RSP could use a better soft coounter other then Torpedos (Transphasics yay!), Tractor Beam Repulsors (If your speced into the damage), Target Subsystems Shields (is that working properly?), Phaser Procs on shields, Viral Matrix (if it procs the shield) and I think that's it other then SNB being the actual and true counter. ;)

Archived Post 04-15-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilawpilath (Post 4162338)
Viral Matrix (if it procs the shield)

Viral Matrix doesn't proc shield disables anymore. That's the only subsystem it doesn't affect.

Archived Post 04-15-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Viral Matrix doesn't proc shield disables anymore. That's the only subsystem it doesn't affect.
Did it ever? I believe Viral Matrix eithre was a long duration stun (back Season 1 or even pre Season 1?), or disabled Aux, Weapon and Engines randomly.

Boarding Party can disable shields. But with the omnipresence of Tactical Team, Beam Fire At Will and any other effect that can negate the power makes it worthless.

Tachyon Beam as a shield buff dispel power may be interesting. Well, maybe not all (if it could remove EPtS, it would probably be unbalanced) - but negating or better supressing Extend Shields and RSP may work. (E.g. as long as you are targeted by Tachyon Beam, Extend Shields and ES don't provide shield healing). Weapons fired with the Directed Energy Modulation buff could ignore the shield healing ability of RSP.

Though the latter is only really worth something if the healing of RSP was less excessive. Even if just one (player) Cruiser is broadsiding you, your heals will rapidly recharge. While, thanks to shield resistances, the shields would not rapidly evaporate from the same broadside!

Archived Post 04-18-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starboard_Nacelle (Post 4162629)

My Mistake. I hadn't looked at VM in a while and was seeing the DOFF saying that it'll proc all but shields and thought that VM was changed to proc shields.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 09:08 PM

They should take Aceton Drop it to Ensign for level 1 and Lt Commander for level 3.... and make it a hard counter to RSP. lol :)

Take one useless annoying power and make it counter another annoying useless power.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 11:04 PM

Didn't they just remove the kinetic resistance from reverse shield polarity 2 patches ago? If you wanna counter it then just fire all your torps at the guy and it will do full damage like its not even there...

Archived Post 04-20-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightylinkist
Didn't they just remove the kinetic resistance from reverse shield polarity 2 patches ago? If you wanna counter it then just fire all your torps at the guy and it will do full damage like its not even there...

I think you're overestimating the usefulness of kinetic weaponry against shielding.

Archived Post 04-20-2012 12:45 PM

I've yet to see new RSP save anyone from an attack. All it does is prolong the inevitable. Which is all it did before, now its just a few seconds more. I say, big deal.

Archived Post 04-29-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koopa27 (Post 4173648)
I've yet to see new RSP save anyone from an attack. All it does is prolong the inevitable. Which is all it did before, now its just a few seconds more. I say, big deal.

RSP plus Evasive maneuvers and Ramming Speed = RUN AWAY

It's gotten me out of hairy jams before.