Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Massively Visits Cryptic (Pt. 4) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=266672)

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:15 PM

Massively Visits Cryptic (Pt. 4)

Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, she writes about her interview with Executive Producer Dan Stahl.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:28 PM

I don't know why I bother reading these anymore..some of these answers......

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad (Post 4164835)
I don't know why I bother reading these anymore..some of these answers......

I have the same sensation...

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:48 PM

I find these a very good read.

What, exactly, do you want him to say?

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:49 PM

To me sometimes in the years I've played.... they've done more interviews then anything else...

I love how open they are to talking about the game... but.. seems like time better spent to actually work on the game...

I see more interviews then I see Dev responses about our Feedback on the game.....

Take the DOFF system for example.. its so fleshed out and well done because of how involved Heretic is with the community... In fact he continues to ask for Feedback here on the forums on the DOFFJOBS global channel... The DOFF system will only get better with time because of this... just saying..

Archived Post 04-16-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
To me sometimes in the years I've played.... they've done more interviews then anything else...

I love how open they are to talking about the game... but.. seems like time better spent to actually work on the game...

I see more interviews then I see Dev responses about our Feedback on the game.....

Take the DOFF system for example.. its so fleshed out and well done because of how involved Heretic is with the community... In fact he continues to ask for Feedback here on the forums on the DOFFJOBS global channel... The DOFF system will only get better with time because of this... just saying..

Okay, DStahl is the executive producer of STO. Let's say the interview this series took roughly an hour; maybe two. Let's also say, you, as a player, have the ability to make Stahl do whatever you want him to do, instantly, without hesistation. He can do nothing except what you mandate, which would be "actually work on the game."

What exactly would you have him do in those two hours on the game? Given that he's the EP, and not strictly a coder/modeller/programmer/artist.

I would love to hear how people would manage the STO staff if they had that kind of power.

Archived Post 04-16-2012 04:49 PM

Nice interview.

Quote:

You can take a look at my white board where I have written 'the game begins at max level.' That's a big motto for me this year that outlines that we're really trying to focus on new content that's targeted to endgame players."
Yes, there needs to be more to End Game, but I hate it when games use this line. What I have always loved about STO is that the game does NOT start at end Game - the whole Journey IS the game. This statement always says to me that you should work as fast as you can to get to cap and ignore the start and middle of the game. Levelling is to fast anyway, so slow it down, there needs to be more meaning to reaching cap. I hope there will be a good balance.

Archived Post 04-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightionNY (Post 4164867)
I find these a very good read.

What, exactly, do you want him to say?

Lock box odds would be a good start I'm thinking.

Archived Post 04-16-2012 04:51 PM

Fascinating stuff.

It both registers for me and annoys me that things like "customer satisfaction" are hard to measure from PW's POV, because I come from a background in companies where that was the almost all-consuming focus. Focus on satisfaction and retention of customers/employees/vendors, watch costs, be bold, avoid costly experiments, profit. That model is very apparently an alien one to some people, including PWE.

Satisfaction IS the product in my mind, the ONLY product. Everything else is a free bonus attached to the satisfaction you're selling and you haven't earned a dime until you've earned a smile. Needless to say, companies I've worked with tend to focus on the service experience and will refund purchases very freely to save a customer relationship. I feel like that's the Blizzard model as well and why they're #1. Do they have the best product? Well, no. Not if the game is the product. The product isn't so much the game but the polish in the game and the level of service supplied.

It's like the idea with cars that, at a certain point, you're no longer paying for the car but for the superior bolts, the higher fuel efficiency, the more comfortable seats. MMOs are luxury products so the luxury of the experience should be the prime product.

I'm really intrigued by the comments about getting non-MMO players in. That is, honestly, something I'd assumed was already a higher priority and the aspect I'd give my left arm to work for Cryptic on.

Archived Post 04-16-2012 09:01 PM

What is most interesting about the interview is not the rather light questions (seriously, though, the writer was invited to their offices -- you can't expect Walter Cronkite throwing hardballs in a situation like that) but rather what is not-quite-said.
Quote:

"There's an opportunity that we're missing, to allow people who just want to be in the Star Trek universe to just make a character and pop into the universe and not have a lot of expectations of what to do, to let them visit the places they just want to visit. So they can experience Star Trek without having the game tacked on to that. That is an experience I desperately want to get in there in the future. Not near future, but at some point. It's been bugging me that there are tons of people out there who may not want to play an MMO but want to have fun in the Star Trek universe." He further stated that he thinks "there's an opportunity to build something that is different from an MMO into Star Trek Online that is really more of a social experience."
Hmm... It definitely sounds more like a "Star Trek Amusement Park" theme is going here, which... is not a *horrible* thing, but this does underline something:

If you have a theme park, you need to make stuff for people to DO in the theme park. The Tilt-a-Whirl is not going to be more fun to ride if the only thing changed out is the seats your butt is in. =)