Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   LRS retro Ablative armor (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=266897)

Archived Post 04-18-2012 06:20 AM

LRS retro Ablative armor

I'm not sure if maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I got this ship because I love Voyager, and I thought it'd cool to have the ablative armor, and I am a Science Officer.

It seems like more often than not, in PVP deploying the armor gets me killed rather than saving me in a pinch. When my shields go offline to deploy the armor, get killed almost instantly by whoever is attacking me, before the armor has a chance to even fully come on.

That being said ,I could deploy it earlier but if I still have shields and decent armor, I wouldn't particularly need to use it, at the time, so it's kind of like a waste of a fairly long cooldown, for 15 seconds of damage resistance that isn't even fully necessary.

I like the ship but so far the armor has been more of a disappointment.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 06:30 AM

I would agree, they could really do with changing the way it works, so that it activates as soon as you hit the key, regardless of the annimation.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 06:44 AM

Interesting - had been considering purchasing the LRS Retro as a secondary ship to my Science Odyssey.

Whilst I love the Oddy, and would have to say that it will remain my primary ship, I have on occasion swapped to my Nova refit when have wanted to fly something a little more 'agile' than the Oddy - assume the LRS fits the bill in that sense and would have the sub-system targeting that the Oddy, as a cruiser, lacks - but am wondering if it's worthwhilse investing in it now, especially since it doesn't sound as if the armor is the 'livesafer' it's supposed to be and I don't have the best equipment to add to the ship.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:00 AM

Your shields come down and Ablative Armor pops up. you have a second of vulnerability while this is happening so if you wait until your on your last few hull hit points you will be most likely destroyed if you are being focused on. An opponent who hits you with SNB can shut your ablative off as well as photonics shock wave. If you wait until your last breath to pop ablative you have a 50/50 chance of surviving. Pre plan and use it wisely. For instance if you got all your buffs up and you get SNB'd and you have no sci team or heals and you in fairly good shape for the time being then would be a good time to use your ablative and evasive out of danger (just an example)

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicshower
Your shields come down and Ablative Armor pops up. you have a second of vulnerability while this is happening so if you wait until your on your last few hull hit points you will be most likely destroyed if you are being focused on. An opponent who hits you with SNB can shut your ablative off as well as photonics shock wave. If you wait until your last breath to pop ablative you have a 50/50 chance of surviving. Pre plan and use it wisely. For instance if you got all your buffs up and you get SNB'd and you have no sci team or heals and you in fairly good shape for the time being then would be a good time to use your ablative and evasive out of danger (just an example)

Most of the time I have way over 50% hull when I decide to use Ablative armor. If a BOP decloaks behind me and starts wrecking my shields, I can tell I won't last too long, so I instinctively try to use my armor, so I can reposition my self better, but oh wait..
In that one second of vulnerability its very likely that with damage straight to my hull I'll be destroyed.
Which has happened more often than not.

The worse part is, not having shields too, generally gets alot of people to focus you, oh your shields are down! Then, after 15 seconds, my shields return, generally at a low rate so with all the focused fire I'm dead anyway.
^- Thats not so much the problem I'm having though, I shouldn't have to worry about being destroyed while using something to save me, whats the point? I might aswell not use that universal console, and use it with something that could help me survive longer with shields.

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:11 AM

At this point I kind of wish I got an Odyssey variant instead

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:14 AM

A Joke

As it stands now the Ablative armour is a joke. I'm pretty sure Janeway managed to keep it up a little longer than 15 seconds. There have been plenty of other threads about this and from what I can gather for me at least and some others it is the most disappointing ship purchase from the C Store and it sits gathering digital dust. Doubt it will ever be changed.

I'd love to make a torp boat of this ship with Ablative on all the time, coupled with max threat control this could be the beast to take the flak from the TAC cubes in STFs but there's more chance of me winning a ferengi ship than that happening and as I would never buy a master key you can work out what that chance is :(

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tifazi
I'm not sure if maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I got this ship because I love Voyager, and I thought it'd cool to have the ablative armor, and I am a Science Officer.

It seems like more often than not, in PVP deploying the armor gets me killed rather than saving me in a pinch. When my shields go offline to deploy the armor, get killed almost instantly by whoever is attacking me, before the armor has a chance to even fully come on.

That being said ,I could deploy it earlier but if I still have shields and decent armor, I wouldn't particularly need to use it, at the time, so it's kind of like a waste of a fairly long cooldown, for 15 seconds of damage resistance that isn't even fully necessary.

I like the ship but so far the armor has been more of a disappointment.

I agree

That ship is absolutely too much fragile and the ablative armor is quite useless...

Archived Post 04-18-2012 07:29 AM

All well, I won't 'invest' in it in that case.

Do wish there were more options in terms of T5 science ships though.....

Archived Post 04-18-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reyan01
All well, I won't 'invest' in it in that case.

Do wish there were more options in terms of T5 science ships though.....

Yea.. It's so so :[