Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Idle Connection (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267512)

Archived Post 04-21-2012 04:09 PM

Idle Connection

When I start the game, it freezes on the loading screen (the one that says "Cryptic") before the progress bar comes up. Then it crashes, and the error message says "The connection was idle for too long." When I try again, it asks me if I want to verify all files. Regardless of whether I do or not, the problem repeats itself when I try to start the game again.

I've tried reinstalling three times, but no luck. I've submitted a help ticked, but I know it can take a while for Cryptic to respond. Is somebody able to help?

Archived Post 04-21-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
When I start the game, it freezes on the loading screen (the one that says "Cryptic") before the progress bar comes up. Then it crashes, and the error message says "The connection was idle for too long." When I try again, it asks me if I want to verify all files. Regardless of whether I do or not, the problem repeats itself when I try to start the game again.

I've tried reinstalling three times, but no luck. I've submitted a help ticked, but I know it can take a while for Cryptic to respond. Is somebody able to help?

Are you using any sort of Firewall software that could be blocking the STO app from communicating over your internet connection?

Archived Post 04-21-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan

Same thing is happening to me. I haven't changed anything with my firewall or network settings

Edit: Double checked firewall. Turned it off and it loaded up ok.

Archived Post 04-22-2012 11:22 AM

Disabling the firewall seems to work, but I don't like leaving my PC vulnerable.

Thank you for the help, but if anybody has a fix that allows me to keep the firewall up, that'd be much appreciated.

Archived Post 04-22-2012 02:12 PM

the game requires that both the launcher.exe and the gameclient.exe be allow access by the firewall. Sometime patches will cause the firewall to recognize the program as a new program requiring reauthorization.
also some firewalls will block non standard ports. so be sure ports tcp 7000-7500 are unblocked and allowed.

Archived Post 04-26-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PegasusMD
the game requires that both the launcher.exe and the gameclient.exe be allow access by the firewall. Sometime patches will cause the firewall to recognize the program as a new program requiring reauthorization.
also some firewalls will block non standard ports. so be sure ports tcp 7000-7500 are unblocked and allowed.

Works like a charm for the moment. Thank you for the help! :)