Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Duty Officer System and R&D (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   DOFF vs DOFF? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267705)

Archived Post 04-23-2012 08:17 AM

DOFF vs DOFF?

I posted a thread about this a long time ago, but rather than necro I'm posting a new one. From the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3835159)
Since the Doff system is essentially a card game where you play against the "computer", I wonder if it would be possible to have a feature where you could send your Doffs on missions against other player's Doffs from the other faction?

For example, lets say there were a hypothetical DvD(Doff vs Doff) tab on the Doff system, completely separate from the normal Doff missions we currently have. Once a Fed player accepted a specific DvD mission(lets call it "rescue the prisoners"), it showed up as a "challenge" in the list of KDF missions, or vice versa.

And if a KDF player accepted the challenge their mission would be to "guard the prisoners". Then after the mission time expired the system would roll the dice and compare the stats of the doffs each player was using and any other mission factors and then determine the winner.

Now, I dont know much about how the behind the scenes mechanics work so I wont go any further than that. its just an idea I thought might be fun, so I'll let other people expand upon it :D

/discuss

Archived Post 04-23-2012 08:36 AM

If a system like this was in the game and sufficiently developed I'd never leave the sector map again :D

(ok ok, I'd still visit my bridge for special assignments)

Archived Post 04-23-2012 09:14 AM

I would LOVE this, but with regular pvp going the way it has, it would probably just be more pay to win.

I really hope they can fix pvp. i've missed it since it started getting bad.

Archived Post 04-23-2012 09:33 AM

suppose it would make territoral control more interesting...

Archived Post 04-23-2012 10:11 AM

Personally, I'd rather see a better fleshed out actual PVP system then a hashed up DOFF variant.

Maybe later after this so called PVP Overhaul that is in the works..

Archived Post 04-23-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilawpilath (Post 4177747)
Personally, I'd rather see a better fleshed out actual PVP system then a hashed up DOFF variant.

Maybe later after this so called PVP Overhaul that is in the works..

Although PvP is in the title of this thread, this is not "real" PvP like you are talking about. This is simply about a new form of Doff mission. That being the case, the "real" PvP you are talking about has nothing to do with this thread(or board) and is off topic here.

Archived Post 04-23-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 4177810)
Although PvP is in the title of this thread, this is not "real" PvP like you are talking about. This is simply about a new form of Doff mission. That being the case, the "real" PvP you are talking about has nothing to do with this thread(or board) and is off topic here.

If it wasn't PVP, there would be no need to go against another players missions. And again instead of adding another form of PVP that actually takes hours to complete in an attempt to lower another players success rate/crit chance with DOFFS I'd rather those resources be spent towards improving and upgrading the actual PVP system in the game. Not to mention there are still missions that keep either Bugging out or needing tweeked. Why would I want them to have yet another buggy system in the game and not fix things that already exist?

So yes my thread is on topic. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way.

Archived Post 04-23-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilawpilath (Post 4177871)
So yes my thread is on topic. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way.

You seem pretty confused, because I posted this thread not you. But once again, this thread is about a new type of Doff assignment, not "real" PvP. Real PvP is where one player fights another player. So if you are interested in talking about that you are on the wrong board. "Doff PvP"(a term I made up) is simply about an idea of one player's doffs "fighting" another player's doffs. So the most accurate term would really be DvD(Doff vs Doff). So there you go: this thread is about DvD, not PvP. All of your comments about PvP are therefore off topic.

PS: for your benefit, I have changed all reference to PvP to DvD in the OP. Hopefully you will be able to understand now :)

Archived Post 04-23-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 4177584)
I posted a thread about this a long time ago, but rather than necro I'm posting a new one. From the other thread:

/discuss

Liked+1

And I also agree, with another that it would be a nice/cute addition AFTER a real PvP fix is introduced.

Archived Post 04-23-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 4177901)
You seem pretty confused, because I posted this thread not you. But once again, this thread is about a new type of Doff assignment, not "real" PvP. If you are interested in talking about that you are on the wrong board. Real PvP is where one player fights another player. "Doff PvP"(a term I made up) is simply about an idea of one player's doffs "fighting" another player's doffs. So the most accurate term would really be DvD(Doff vs Doff). So there you go: this thread is about DvD, not PvP. All of your comments about PvP are therefore off topic.

While I might be using the wrong wordfing, which you seem to just want to jump all over in order to point out that I am wrong. And while I might be a PVPer, I reconnize what you are suggesting.

And what you are suggesting, as I already stated, and you your self already stated, but I guess it needs to again be repeated, is players pitting their doffs vs other players in hopes of hindering their missions. That is a form of Player vs Player even if it is using Doffs instead of actual players themselves. And while I do see the Validity of the Idea, I feel this is not the time for this type of a system to be implimented when the games REAL PVP still needs alot more work.

So, again, in short, why should the company's resources be spent to create a new form of Player vs Player Doff missions, when the games actual Player vs Player ship and ground combat still has issues that have yet to be resolved?

So yes, my Arguement is in the correct thread. And is on topic. I am argueing against the Idea.