Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Good names for Caitian Carriers (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269047)

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:07 AM

Good names for Caitian Carriers

The usual Starfleet ships are human ships, because Earth donated its Starfleet to the Federation when it was founded. The Andorians, the Vulcans, and obviously also the Caitans kept their own fleets, although they are probably smaller than Starfleet.

Now, with the multiple wars going on in this existential crisis era, Starfleet is commissioning non-human-built ships, thus breaking a tradition that never really made sense for a Federation of equal species anyway. Obviously, this should also be reflected in the ships' names. While I can see why a human ship would be named USS Enterprise, USS Defiant, USS Voyager or USS Tsiolkovsky, a Caitian ship clearly would have to have a Caitian name.

Looking at Memory Beta, we can see two obvious names:
  • Dynkorra M'relle, because naming a ship after a politician is not unheard of (although we haven't seen that in StarTrek yet). By extension, the prename "Dynkorra" might have a mythological reference for Caitians,
  • S'rrel, who was the first Caitian to serve in Starfleet and who later became an admiral.

What else comes to your mind as possible Caitian Carrier ship names?

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:10 AM

Don't know, but as said elsewhere, there are no prizes for guessing just how many of these carriers using the name USS Kitty Hawk we'll see.
:rolleyes:

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:32 AM

Which would make about as much sense as naming any Starfleet ship of human design "USS Gorilla".

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Now, with the multiple wars going on in this existential crisis era, Starfleet is commissioning non-human-built ships, thus breaking a tradition that never really made sense for a Federation of equal species anyway.

I can't agree with that. I don't think of Starfleet ships as human ships.

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:42 AM

Well, note the similarity of pre-Federation human designs and overall later Starfleet designs. Also, note the human name references in regular Starfleet ship names. :p

Archived Post 05-03-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamjumetley (Post 4196151)
I can't agree with that. I don't think of Starfleet ships as human ships.

Well, they are all based on (in principle) the NX-01 Enterprise, which was a Human ship......

Archived Post 05-03-2012 03:00 AM

Mine is going to be the USS Bella Twilight ;)

Archived Post 05-03-2012 03:52 AM

What I am looking for are names that seem easy to memorize for us human players, but are still no racist jokes when seen from an in-ST-universe perspective.

Archived Post 05-03-2012 04:01 AM

U.S.S. Bill the Cat with hairball launching special power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Which would make about as much sense as naming any Starfleet ship of human design "USS Gorilla".

Had a U.S.S. Sasquatch, Yowie, Yahoo, and a few others named for other cryptozoological primates. But then I erased that toon and remade him as a KDF. Do not be surprised to see an I.K.S. Yowie some day.

Archived Post 05-03-2012 04:08 AM

USS Garfield, USS Hello Kitty, USS Duchess (Aristocats), USS Felix, USS Fritz, USS Cat-in-the-hat, USS Tom,
USS Bagpuss, USS Nyan Nyan.

Oh so many more!