Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Switching characters (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269745)

Archived Post 05-07-2012 06:58 PM

Switching characters

Is Cryptic going to ever make it possible to switch characters without having to log all the way out and log back in? Like hitting a Function key to switch to a different character?:confused:

Archived Post 05-07-2012 07:52 PM

Its been asked for several times over. Heck even the EP doesn't like it. It has something to do with security, or so we're told. which don't mind me if that causes me to snicker.....

Archived Post 05-07-2012 08:54 PM

Everquest and Everquest 2 have the /camp command to tell the game to log out. If you want to log to another character, you type /camp *character name*.

It's not hard to put those commands into this game..

Archived Post 05-07-2012 11:14 PM

Or just having that as a command in the pop-up menu that gives you the option to exit, log out, etc.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 05:47 AM

GW

I just think that it would be cool if it was like GW... Once you log in, your in. If you want to switch characters, you hit F12 and it takes you back to your character screen and you choose another character.:)

Archived Post 05-08-2012 06:10 AM

I've played several MMOs where logging one character out just takes you to the character selection screen, and I've never felt less secure than in STO. We already log in at the launcher and that's enough.

Since the automatic logout is now after 60 minutes idle instead of only 5 minutes, the "security" argument is getting even older. I bet that most people don't play MMOs at Starbucks and leave their laptop unattended and unsecured for over 60 minutes at a time.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 07:02 PM

I believe the OP meant changing characters instead of running back to the main window and being forced to relog and reinitialize the game. I use an older weaker computer, so that whole process takes a good 3 minutes.

In Wow, /exit exits the client, then /logout and /camp gets me back to the character selection screen. It allows me to bypass having to relog and reinitialize the game client just to change characters. Right now, I usually have the game client running, and the PWE launcher logged in in the background so that I can save time when I switch characters to doffjob. This saves the PWE launcher time, but still does not solve the problem of reinitializing the entire game client just to change characters.

This problem is made more acute when I d/c. To relog, I have to shut down the game client, load the PWE launcher, wait for THAT to log in, reinitialize the client from the launcher, wait for that to log in, then climb into my character. That wait really hurts!

(Please don't tell me to just play wow. I usually run Wow and STO concurrently as I do doffjobs between dungeons and raids. I'd like to consider WoW as a really cool holodeck game. :p)

Archived Post 05-08-2012 08:47 PM

I recall the Dev's saying that the Cryptic engineen can't support that.. Sad that a group of developers can't make something that simple (and is in just about every other MMO) work. Maybe the code change in season 6 will help this?

Archived Post 05-08-2012 09:21 PM

Look for this option in Season 6's lock box. Or maybe it'll be on the C-Store for 8000 C points.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 09:55 PM

as this game plays with cash, im thankful for every little security detail implemented.