Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Q about the Vice Admiral Science Vessels (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269825)

Archived Post 05-08-2012 01:10 PM

Q about the Vice Admiral Science Vessels
 
Is the main difference between the Reconnaissance Vessel and Deep Space Science Vessel pretty much offense and defense? I see the Recon has 2 BOFF slots for tactical officers and an additional tactical console, and the Deep Space has 2 BOFF slots for engineers and an addition engineering console.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusashorn
Is the main difference between the Reconnaissance Vessel and Deep Space Science Vessel pretty much offense and defense? I see the Recon has 2 BOFF slots for tactical officers and an additional tactical console, and the Deep Space has 2 BOFF slots for engineers and an addition engineering console.

Ones more tanky than the other and one turns better than the other, at least last i checked its been a while since I flew either.

The DSSV turns slower but has more tanking ability (If i recall)

The Recon turns better and has a bit more dps.

Either ship really is fine for pve play.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 01:49 PM

You pretty much got it right.

DSSV has an ensign engie, and more hull/crew.
RSV has an ensign tac, and more turn rate/intertia.

This is how all basic end of the line ships are.
For escorts they have an engie or sci option.
For cruisers its a tac or sci option.
For science is a tac or engie option.

For the most part you wouln't notice a huge difference. Both the DSSV and RSV can run identical weapon load outs, there power setups can be identical.
In general if you want to be more damage oriented go RSV while more support/tank oriented can pickup the DSSV.
Though honestly if you build for it a RVS can tank more or less aswell as a DSSV, and a DSSV can pump out numbers more or less on par with an RSV. The differences are mostly minor.

I personally preferred the DSSV, as I liked having double epts1.

Archived Post 05-08-2012 10:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm probably going to get a Recon with my playstyle. I still haven't chosen a 5th bridge officer.. kinda waiting to see the stats on the Reman and Breen officers over the next few weeks before I make my decision. It's all good, I can wait that long to choose a ship.

Archived Post 05-09-2012 12:17 AM

Yes, i think RSV is good choice, because:
1. Console. Tac console gives you damage, and eng console gives you nothing. Hull resists are useles, 4 power is too small bonus...
2. BO station. Tac ensign gives you tac team, and what you can put into eng ensign slot? Tac team will be better as defence ability aniway...
3. Turnrate. You get it free, as hull and crew give you nothing, if your shields are down you are dead aniway...

Archived Post 05-09-2012 10:26 AM

and if you want to spend the money...

Intrepid Retrofit gets an extra science boff and extra engi console slot plus Ablative Armor Power (which oh by the way can survive donatra's blast)

Archived Post 05-09-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAlaska
and if you want to spend the money...

Intrepid Retrofit gets an extra science boff and extra engi console slot plus Ablative Armor Power (which oh by the way can survive donatra's blast)

At point blank? I've survived her blast before when I managed to gain just enough distance for the energy to do less damage. Pretty cool though. :D

Archived Post 05-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAlaska
and if you want to spend the money...

Intrepid Retrofit gets an extra science boff and extra engi console slot plus Ablative Armor Power (which oh by the way can survive donatra's blast)

You get eng console and loose tac. Bad exchange. And than put Ablative generator in this slot... so you just loose 1 console slot.
Ablative armor is almost as "good" for survival as BOP battle cloak. When you need it you probably is being hit, and using Ablative armor is almost equal to using abandon ship, because your shields will go down and than after few seconds armor will go up. This few seconds will be enough to get few torpedo hits directly to hull...

Archived Post 05-10-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaemon (Post 4206112)
Yes, i think RSV is good choice, because:
1. Console. Tac console gives you damage, and eng console gives you nothing. Hull resists are useles, 4 power is too small bonus...
2. BO station. Tac ensign gives you tac team, and what you can put into eng ensign slot? Tac team will be better as defence ability aniway...
3. Turnrate. You get it free, as hull and crew give you nothing, if your shields are down you are dead aniway...

I don't disagree about the RSV, but Hull Resists are far from useless. If you pack 2 neutroniums in the Eng slots, spec with some Hull Armor skill and use Polarize Hull and similar resist boosters, you can survive some pretty nasty strikes and bleedthrough damage is totally take care of by natural Hull Regen.

My RSV is pretty darned durable. :)

Archived Post 05-10-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krenlik (Post 4208437)
I don't disagree about the RSV, but Hull Resists are far from useless. If you pack 2 neutroniums in the Eng slots, spec with some Hull Armor skill and use Polarize Hull and similar resist boosters, you can survive some pretty nasty strikes and bleedthrough damage is totally take care of by natural Hull Regen.

My RSV is pretty darned durable. :)

RSV has less hull than escorts, even with resists it cannot survive much damage with shield down.
And bleedthrough is not a problem, if you use 2 assimilated set peaces for proc hull heal.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.