Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Newb question (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269888)

Archived Post 05-09-2012 03:13 AM

Newb question

Ok i just started te game but I am spending points to increase my Boff skills already. What do I do if i misspec a boff? how do i get new boffs? and will it mater if the boff i have now is not the one i keep and level up the entire time i play?

Archived Post 05-09-2012 03:23 AM

Skills can be changed (skill trainer earth space dock)
Officers can be obtained as mission/leveling rewards , bought (on exchange or at officer next to trainer) or even traded
Boff skill points are gainable all the way up
you can always ditch and replace

Archived Post 05-09-2012 03:32 AM

thanks

so as near as i can tell from reading the only Boff I will ever be trying to keep are the purple guys. what is the differance in a new purple guy with no missions under his belt and a green or blue guy with 20 missions complete?

Archived Post 05-10-2012 12:00 AM

The blue-green guys don't gain any bonuses except for what you spend on them. A boff is defined by the gear you pick for them, the skills you train them in, and the XP you spend on them. The only inate unchangable thing about them is their traits, stuff like Efficient or Peak Health or Resilient, and the quality of those traits is where rarity comes in.

Archived Post 05-10-2012 01:24 AM

I don't really care for boff quality as my personal influence and as abovesaid well specced boff gear and skillset tends to secure victory anyway.

I finish the game with the starting set of boffs with no issues.

If you make a mistake with skill and points assignment don't worry. It's cheap to re-skill them. By the time you're Vice Admiral you'll have a few hundred thousand unspent boff points anyway so mix and match and experiment at your heart's content. The game is meant to be flexible for you to play around with boffs or even have multiple boff configurations for a single ship.

Archived Post 05-10-2012 01:48 AM

you know

thank you again it is nice to log into a forum and ask question without getting trolled very differant from most game forums i am used to

Archived Post 05-10-2012 01:51 AM

And of course if you have a white/green boff that you get attached to but would love to upgrade them, you can always save their appearance at the tailor, buy a new higher quality officer of the same species/gender on the Exchange, and reload the saved appearance and name. Why should the Captain be the only one who improves over their career?

Archived Post 05-10-2012 01:53 AM

question

What do the Boff traits that are differant between rarity do?

Archived Post 05-10-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaraldaemonbane
thank you again it is nice to log into a forum and ask question without getting trolled very differant from most game forums i am used to

As I always say to my cadet STF pilots-in-training, Starfleet exists to train the next generation of Captains. After all, diversity is strength for the Federation :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaraldaemonbane
What do the Boff traits that are differant between rarity do?

This one, just look in the Exchange and compare white doffs and purple ones. You'll see that the purples do have very much superior ground combat special traits.

Archived Post 05-10-2012 02:12 AM

OK

So if i have a Boff that is an Eng and he is skill pointed up right he has the same abilities regardless of being green blue or purple. The only differance is his ground combat trats.