Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Tricobalt Happy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=271366)

Archived Post 05-21-2012 11:12 PM

Tricobalt Happy

I'm running a recon sci vessel with a tricobalt device launcher in the back and I love it. I've never used more than one device before but the burst damage is so awesome I'm considering adding another. I was thinking of using the tricobalt mine device in the back as well. Anyone use the tricobalt mine? can you lay mines out like normal? Anyone have experience with these?

Archived Post 05-21-2012 11:43 PM

A tricobalt mine launcher only launches a single mine even with tactical skills like dispersal pattern beta. Stick with the tricobalt torpedo launcher - it works better especially with the torpedo high yield skill.

Archived Post 05-21-2012 11:54 PM

That still depends. A single tricobalt mine will hit with far more damage than even a High-Yield 3 enhanced tricobalt torpedo can ever hope to achieve.

The downside is that you need to draw the enemy close enough to attract the mine. Cooldown time is also significantly high.

Archived Post 05-22-2012 12:39 AM

I had a white Tricobalt mine on my Oddy a month back. As noted, only one mine is deployed, and you need to draw the enemy close enough for it to be effective.

I've sinced dumped it and went for a purple Mk XII Tricobalt fore torp instead, and I greatly prefer this to the mine. I usually use my phasers and quantums to chip away at one shield facing, then pop a tricobalt to knock down at least half their health.

Archived Post 05-22-2012 02:36 AM

I'm running a DPS Cruiser with a Snare concept. I use Eject Warp Plasma to capture them, firing on approach and I drop the Trico Mine as I pass, it's been spectacularly fatal to my foes.

Best kill, three tightly packed Frigates with a Single dose of Warp Plasma and a mine. The Trico Mines do not benefit from [Dmg] Modifiers so your best bet is to use a [CrtD] for severe criticals.

Either that or their DPS is not showing an increase in the tooltip.

Archived Post 05-22-2012 09:12 AM

What's also fun is doing a tight spin and shooting a Tricobolt spread at those 3 trapped in the warp plasma. Overlapping tricobolt blast = ugly... :)

Archived Post 05-22-2012 09:38 AM

I have a tricobolt on the back of my soveriegn. A high yield one of those beauts launched at someone stuck in my tractor beam as I take down their shields with phasers is a wonderful sight.

I may get another and replace the quantum torp on my defiant retro with it.

Archived Post 05-23-2012 03:54 AM

I've mainly stuck to STF's with my tricobalt, and for the heck of it picked up a mine and a torp. FYI for those of you who don't already know; firing one puts a 30 second cool down on the other. Not recommended. Went back to the torp launcher only.

What about PvP? Does anyone use Tricobalts in PvP?

Archived Post 05-23-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueGothic (Post 4227704)
I've mainly stuck to STF's with my tricobalt, and for the heck of it picked up a mine and a torp. FYI for those of you who don't already know; firing one puts a 30 second cool down on the other. Not recommended. Went back to the torp launcher only.

What about PvP? Does anyone use Tricobalts in PvP?

Probably not - Tricolbalts would get shot down too often in that enviroment.

Archived Post 05-23-2012 05:15 AM

I do know someone who point blanks them into people (but he is a kamikazi type)