Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   How long does it take to build a ship in STO? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=271957)

Archived Post 05-27-2012 05:13 AM

How long does it take to build a ship in STO?
 
How long does it take a person or a team, to setup a new ship for c-store?

How long does the shaping and designing take?
How long the distribution of BOFFs, Hull points, weaponslots etc...

And how long is the testing phase, and from there...how much time is needed until it is purchaseable in c-store?

Archived Post 05-27-2012 03:32 PM

Excellent question, i would like to know this as well.

Archived Post 05-27-2012 05:20 PM

This episode of Priority One podcast has some of the answers you seek...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=263153
These episodes of STOked have even more...
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ed-stoked-114/
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ps-stoked-119/

And before you wonder, yes they are all dev interviews. ;)

Archived Post 05-28-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

This episode of Priority One podcast has some of the answers you seek...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=263153
These episodes of STOked have even more...
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ed-stoked-114/
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ps-stoked-119/

And before you wonder, yes they are all dev interviews.
i saw both stoked episodes you linked and even the one where both visited cryptic. unfortunately i failed to watch the priority one podcast, and i don't follow that regularely.
Many questions are answered in stoked, but not the duration of designing a ship until it is implemented.

so could you be so kind to answer the question: "how long does it take to develope a ship?":(

Archived Post 05-28-2012 02:39 PM

Depends on the ship and the gimmick it uses. I think it took about a year to put the Odyssey on the C-Store. While the Ferengi shuttle might have took only a week.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 08:13 AM

yeah odyssey is not a real measurement, since that was a fan competition. I'm more interested in the actuall work that is involved in setting the BOFF slots, consoles, and maybe special consoles that come with the ship.
none of the shows linked before seem to give an answer to that, or i just missed something.

it seems they bring out 1 ship every 2 month, but 2 month to design a ship, even by a single person (and the model existing allready) seems in terms of productiveness, very, very low in my opinion.

But thats why i asked, since i don't know. But i want to know.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 09:36 AM

@ The OP. A good question! However, Id suspect that it would be a difficult one to answer as each individual ship is indeed different. Nevertheless, Id imagine that the process for each ship design is somewhat similar and that those processes have similar time frames. Indeed, it would be nice to know what realistic time frames we as a community can appreciate in the development of a new ship in our beloved Star Trek Game; as to not over expect production on new designs.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 10:22 PM

The problem is not about the time develop a ship by the dev team

The real problem is to be approved by the executive and the BBC (or the right owner, to lazy to google the right one) because the IP rights.

Archived Post 05-31-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

The problem is not about the time develop a ship by the dev team

The real problem is to be approved by the executive and the BBC (or the right owner, to lazy to google the right one) because the IP rights.
i think you are wrong here, since completely new designs need aproval, established do not. And CBS has a department only for that actually...i would be surpirsed if it took more than 1 workweek.

example: when they introduced the new enterprise F...they needed approval, because it was the "new" enterprise and it was a community event from sto and star trek fansite(s). But since they have a contract for the franchise in general they don't need it for their own designs. It would surprise me if there was any ongoing corespondence going on between the companies.
I don't even think CBS considers STO as canon, as far as they are concerned they are just business partners and cryptic using the IP as a base for their game.

So approval from CBS is not a real issue concerning ship release scedule. And if it was, not a very time consuming one.

There is actually an online contract to use any CBS IP's...with premade conditions etc. You don't even need to get in direct contact with cbs to use all of their IP's.
http://cbs.promotionexpert.com/cbsco.../licensee.html

Archived Post 05-31-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raudl (Post 4238641)
i think you are wrong here, since completely new designs need aproval, established do not. And CBS has a department only for that actually...i would be surpirsed if it took more than 1 workweek.

example: when they introduced the new enterprise F...they needed approval, because it was the "new" enterprise and it was a community event from sto and star trek fansite(s). But since they have a contract for the franchise in general they don't need it for their own designs. It would surprise me if there was any ongoing corespondence going on between the companies.
I don't even think CBS considers STO as canon, as far as they are concerned they are just business partners and cryptic using the IP as a base for their game.

So approval from CBS is not a real issue concerning ship release scedule. And if it was, not a very time consuming one.

There is actually an online contract to use any CBS IP's...with premade conditions etc. You don't even need to get in direct contact with cbs to use all of their IP's.
http://cbs.promotionexpert.com/cbsco.../licensee.html

You'd be wrong. Lets go way back in time to the Nomad skin, just a skin for a ship already in the game. It took a long time to get approval and went through several rejections. It was rejected right before it was supposed to be added to the store.

one thread on the delays and some posts showing how dealing with CBS was at the time, for a skin...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=154041


Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2611785)
CBS had some issues with the Nomad and asked for a redesign - so it had to be pushed out. It is being replaced by the Maelstrom (which is ready to go).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2611935)
Clearly some are frustrated and thats understandable - but this decision came down yesterday afternoon. Yes the ship was done ahead of time, in fact this is our 2nd iteration of it, but if it doesn't pass approval, we can't ship it. Not much more we can do other than redesign it again with the CBS feedback and hope it passes approval quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2611981)
Our goal is to get it out ASAP - so as soon as we get word on the redesign (which we've already turned around and submitted - since this is round 3) we'll work it into the next C-Store update.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2612003)
CBS has the right of approval - and if they take issue with one of our custom ship designs - they are absolutely within their realm to ask us to change it - which in the case of the Nomad they had some concerns. Since we had already submitted round 2 - we had hoped that our initial redesign would get approved (which is why it was put into the schedule) but when it didn't (and the Maelstrom did) we swapped so that we can at least get one of the ships out.

Edit: Btw - we're not at liberty to put up images of ships that have not been CBS approved - for obvious reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2612073)
Our licensing contact at CBS has always seemed very knowledgeable about Trek whenever we've gone through reviews. He knows his stuff and we can show him a new prop we want to add to the game and he can pretty much tell us what it is and what it does. It's not someone in a high tower who has only heard of Trek. Since the same person deals with books, toys, etc... it may very well be that they are pushing this ship in a specific direction for a reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2612608)
As a personal note - I'm actually happy that CBS does take an active role in managing the art, story, and design of the game and welcome more of it. Sometimes there's so much stuff to review during big releases (like launch) that not every detail gets the attention it deserves. I'm more than happy to work with a licensor who knows the Star Trek universe so well. In this case, I just wish we could have nailed the feedback they gave us first time around, but obviously we missed what they were going for. It'll be resolved soon.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl (Post 2612730)
Without going into specifics (which is just a Troll lair) - feedback can range from the very specific (the holodeck squares need to be 4x4 instead of 3x3) to very general (the Holodeck looks too organized).

It is up to the artists to sculpt and mold the clay until the light goes off and the approver goes "that's it!"

With existing cannon ships it can be very objective feedback, while new ships can get very subjective responses.

For the most part, there's always a reason behind a change request - we're not inventing work for each other just for fun - we want to get it in game.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.