Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   I want the process of the academy! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=272174)

Archived Post 05-29-2012 04:58 PM

I want the process of the academy!

About 2 yeears ago I was walking around in Wal-mart and happened across STO, I picked it up reading the back, and I am reading on the back of the case now. "Play the way you want, Customize your ship, create your captain and crew even design your own alien species." Now when I read that, I thought this should be an alright game after looking at the specs' and such. With that in mind, when I began playing the game and went through the tutorial, I didn't expect to be thrusted IMMDEDIATLEY into battle with the most feared faction in Star Trek history the Borg. Now that I have made several characters and gone through the process countless times, I see that its time for a little upgrade. What I want to see, Starfleet Academy used in the way it was made, take a class for a few weeks or finish a large set of tasks, graduate and then become an ensign aboard someone else's starship, complete task given by senior officers there for a few days or weeks, rank up through to luitenant and get recognized by your senior officers. Get transferred between ships for a senior officer position as you hit Lt. Commander, prevent a couple warp core breaches, kill a couple enemys, save the ship countless times, and become first officer aboard yet another ship. Discipline a few members make recommendations to the captain, etc, whatever is necessary through to the rank of captain, where you finally get your own ship, and everything can continue like it currently is. Now I know its possible, its just gonna take time. But I wrote this with roleplayers in mind. Most people who pick up the game for the first time, I am sure are just like me if not pretty close to me.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 05:34 PM

To do that, you would need another game other then STO. Sure, it can be done, but the whole system would have to be changed in order to do so. Good idea though. Maybe another game will come along that follows that.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivyn13
To do that, you would need another game other then STO. Sure, it can be done, but the whole system would have to be changed in order to do so. Good idea though. Maybe another game will come along that follows that.

Yeah, perhaps a new server, keep Holodeck and lose nothing. Just add on a new server.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivyn13

What he said. This isn't a bad idea. Far from it. However, the core mechanics of the game would have to change to accomplish this. By that time, you would technically have an entirely brand new game.

Archived Post 05-29-2012 11:13 PM

If anything, redoing the tutorial as your final exam in Starfleet Academy would make a lot of sense. They would only have to bookend what they have now.

Archived Post 05-30-2012 12:23 AM

And now life brings me around again to find...

This was an extensive debate from pre-launch. The Perpetual format of the game was playing with player crews, but Cryptic changed that direction under the guise that "Everyone wants to be the Captain!" Regardless of the merits or demerits of that debate we are several years into the Cryptic vision, a lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same. I do believe the Academy in lieu of the tutorial would be a nice update. Use holodeck training instead of the borg invasion, throw in some optional lore tests and goals. There are a few other possibilities for the system, but I think it is unlikely to change much.

Archived Post 05-31-2012 05:53 AM

actually it would not surprise me if in a few years another comapny would come up with a new star trek based game in the MMO sector.
i mean they have STO as a prototype of thinks not to do^^

If i was a game developer i would just do some extensive reading of the forums and implement all the things the community is asking since launch of sto. Whole UI and gameconcepts are postet on the forums that look more appealing than sto's approach.

starting out at the accademy is only one of the features that everybody would have loved to see, but never got delivered.

Imagine, you do some simulations and combat training at the accademy until level 10, then you start with a shuttle (implementing shuttle missions like vault, operation gamma), doing some missions near space stations, etc...then lvl 20 you get your first command of a ship (ships lvl with your character) and klingon - fed war breaks lose. Lots of combat etc until the borg arrive lvl 40+...endgame. (max lvl captain not admiral)

PS: Also the XP curve needs massive readjustments. before you even finish the storyline, you are 2 times admiral. it should take new players a month to reach max lvl.

Archived Post 05-31-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageMcginnis
Yeah, perhaps a new server, keep Holodeck and lose nothing. Just add on a new server.

Let me explain this for you.
This game has 20 developers.
It takes them 5-6 months to create a large content update.
If they were to put resources into this, it would most likely take up to two years to complete. In that time, we would have no new content for the rest of the game.

Nice idea, yes, but for a brand new game. Even a expansion pack for STO (Like WoW). But it would require a new development team, and PWE does not have that much money lying around at this point in time. Also, the core engine teams would have to do major edits, of which could take 5 months alone.

Like I said, nice idea, but no.

Archived Post 05-31-2012 07:14 AM

Um. OP knows you can simply skip the starting area, sending the character to Starfleet Academy and doing a few missions there as graduate?