Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   The Invincible-class Carrier-Heavy Battleship (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=272477)

Archived Post 06-01-2012 07:46 AM

The Invincible-class Carrier-Heavy Battleship

The Invincible-class is the single largest multi-mission combat-equipped starship ever constructed by Starfleet. She is designed as the ultimate in frontline explorers. She is classified as a Fleet Carrier-Heavy Battleship hybrid. Invincible-class ships combine the roles of battleship and fighter carrier, having a massive offensive capability in terms of on-board weapons and huge complement of space dominance fighters.

Combining the abilities of a fully armed battleship, a full-fledged fleet carrier, and a mobile base of operations all in one massive platform, the Invincible-class of starship is the new flagship class of Starfleet. Designed as part of Starfleet's advanced technology starship program, the Invincible-class emerged from the dockyards in 2384 as the most sophisticated, most comprehensively armed, most impressive and the most advanced starship in Starfleet. This class of vessel was no doubt designed because of the Dominion War and the Borg threat. The Invincible's hull configuration is comparable to other established Starfleet vessels, incorporating design characteristics of battle-proven designs. Her carrier features are considered to be the next step in carrier technology, as she is capable of carrying four (4) whole wings (four squadrons per wing, nine fighters per squadron) of starfighters into combat scenarios. She is also capable of as overpowering heavily armed enemy starships in one-on-one encounters. The Invincible-class is currently one of the few Starfleet vessels that has enough firepower for any combat role, yet also carries the full capabilities of an exploratory starship. She incorporates every weapons system known to Starfleet, supports triple computer cores and a twin type-D trelinium/dilithium hybrid reactor. With her 60 Decks, 1,650 meter length, and full crew complement of 4,800, she is virtually a city in space. Only four ships of this class have been built to date. The ship could also probably support a battalion of 1,200 Marines commanded by a lieutenant colonel, bringing the crew's complement up to 6,000.

For Picture And More Info Go to This Link
http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Invincible_class :cool:

Archived Post 06-01-2012 08:03 AM

If you like it, fine.

I find it grotesque...5 or 6 modells meshed together...no original artwork, layout what so ever.
Nothing personal, but i hope nothing of that kind will ever make it into the game.
You are probably not the "artist" , so you won't be offended by my comment anyway.

i can't even pinpoint what i don't like about it, because everything about it i find repelling.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 08:27 AM

Can't really tell what it's supposed to look like from that pic.

I think that only canon and apocryphal ships should be added to the game. A fan-faction ship? I dunno. I personally wouldn't get one, but if it's strongly desired by the community I'm certainly not gonna get in the way.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 09:05 AM

Why do you keep bringing these fan designs to the forums?

I'm serious, and I'm not trying to be mean here I just don't understand why your doing it.

For various legal reasons none of these designs will ever end up in the game and most look terrible, I'm not really sure what that one even looks like. I can't why it has two completely different Nacelle designs on it, and I'm guessing that it has three. We have s very bad side profile of the ship and no proper layout to see it.

I got news, there is not going to be a Federation Style Carrier in the game CBS said no that's why they used a Member Races ship. The same reason Klingons don't have Science Vessels but use the Gorn ships.

Now you may get a Federation Flight Deck Cruiser, but I hope it looks nothing like this thing.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raudl (Post 4240585)
If you like it, fine.

I find it grotesque...5 or 6 modells meshed together...no original artwork, layout what so ever.
Nothing personal, but i hope nothing of that kind will ever make it into the game.
You are probably not the "artist" , so you won't be offended by my comment anyway.

i can't even pinpoint what i don't like about it, because everything about it i find repelling.

It is a rather strange, uninspired kitbash. It looks like an Akira glued onto a Sovereign's engineering hull with oversized Sovvy nacelles... and a mismatched third nacelle on top.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:31 PM

Nice photoshop work on the picture. It looks like it was manually cut out of a magazine.

The thing is obviously overpowered as all get out. It's written to imply it pretty much has no weaknesses at all. It's the starship version of a Mary Sue.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:42 PM

From the rear:

A by the... in a lack of a better (or worse) word "artist" long hull (presumeably the hangar deck), Then a Intrepid nacelle as 3'd nacelle, 2 side sov nacells, A sov secondary hull, and a Akira...

Looks like the federations ships had a nasty night out, that they do not want to talk about ever again.

This ship should be to aweful for even the pro-carrier people.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:42 PM

Yeah......umm........from a practical standpoint that ship would not be feasible to build for several reasons.

Firstly it would require too many resources to be committed to one ship; secondly it would take too long to build, thus tying up said resources in very few ships.

Thirdly, a "Carrier-Heavy Battleship" is not a ship class as a carrier stays away from fights due to the vulnerability of it's flight decks (weapons fire would cause potentially massive secondary explosions if the fighter ordinance and/or fuel was hit, potentially destroying the ship outright) while battleships go right into the thick of it and are magnets to enemy fire.

It's one thing for a Heavy Battleship or Cruiser to have a bay for a small number of fighters, but it's quite another for it to be a full on carrier.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:57 PM

In carrier questions, i think the Feds already got a big carrier (the catian), no need for more , they would rather "need" (for what i may ask i still dissaggree with feds having them) smaller carrier with better speed/manuvering, like the KDF's Kar'fi(or how its spelled) And ofcourse the crusier wariants cannot be forgottoen either.
Anyway im againts the fact that FEDs have carriers, i would alot more like to see anti-carrier type of ship on the FED side, afterall that would fit the whole united federation of planets alot more then just coppy/paste what the enemies warmachine comes up with imo.

Archived Post 06-01-2012 01:57 PM

Ill go ahead and say what everyone else is dancing around: its butt-ugly.

On the side of game mechanics, this couldn't happen anyway. You cannot have both full on battle cruiser AND full on carrier.

Plus whenever you go around pasting the name Invincible on something, everyone else knows that all you have to do is wave a feather in its general direction and it falls apart.

Edit: oh and by the way "regenerative ablative" armour? lol ...