Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   PvP fails because we let it ... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=272632)

Archived Post 06-03-2012 11:24 AM

PvP fails because we let it ...

Hi all,

Feeling somewhat disappointed to say the least. I went to great personal effort to organize a PvP-based tournament. Spent hours, no weeks trying to put together a tournament I thought would promote and attract players to PvP.

If PvP fails in the game, itís because WE let it. We would rather rant about what it isnít, or about the latest dev. blasphemy that has hit Holodeck than step-up and support someone whoís just trying to make an effort.

Itís so much easier to sit on the sideline and watch another fail at something, and then throw insults about them on a public channel, than roll-up oneís own sleeve and take the risk of failing. You never are going to know how good you really are, until you go out, and face failure.

There are numerous reasons why STO Frontlines was fighting an uphill battle. I was aware of that when I started. But in the final analysis, the diehard PvP protagonists didnít lift a finger to see something PvP-related success.

I know that I am not very popular. I tend to stand up for the little guy, but I was hoping people could be mature enough to set aside their differences for the sake of the future of PvP. Those of you that did come out and support me, "Kudu's to you and God bless."

Archived Post 06-03-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Hi all,

Feeling somewhat disappointed to say the least. I went to great personal effort to organize a PvP-based tournament. Spent hours, no weeks trying to put together a tournament I thought would promote and attract players to PvP.

If PvP fails in the game, itís because WE let it. We would rather rant about what it isnít, or about the latest dev. blasphemy that has hit Holodeck than step-up and support someone whoís just trying to make an effort.

Itís so much easier to sit on the sideline and watch another fail at something, and then throw insults about them on a public channel, than roll-up oneís own sleeve and take the risk of failing. You never are going to know how good you really are, until you go out, and face failure.

There are numerous reasons why STO Frontlines was fighting an uphill battle. I was aware of that when I started. But in the final analysis, the diehard PvP protagonists didnít lift a finger to see something PvP-related success.

I know that I am not very popular. I tend to stand up for the little guy, but I was hoping people could be mature enough to set aside their differences for the sake of the future of PvP. Those of you that did come out and support me, "Kudu's to you and God bless."

its not that the fleets wouldnt support it, its not that it wasnt a good idea.

this games pvp just isnt fun. the last best hope (imo. ) was the TSI funday just before the resist changes. but even that failed because of the resist changes keep ur rules handy. there wiull be a time and place for it.

Archived Post 06-03-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Hi all,

Have you ever considered that the damage to PvP in this game has been too great for it to ever repair?

Archived Post 06-03-2012 12:49 PM

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the degree of success for any event in a game. I know you worked hard to try to pull things together. I'm sorry it didn't work out as you'd hoped. I do hope you aren't taking it too personally though.

I have a lot of respect for the folks who try to pull things together for the community. The TSI Funday, Panda Cubs training channel, all these great guides full of builds and advice are incredible. I hope everyone will continue to try. Maybe things will work out better in future attempts?

Archived Post 06-03-2012 12:54 PM

I am currently not interested in participating in PvP much.
I also was never interested in organizing PvP related stuff other than organizing my own posts or my char's inventory. I don't expect or even want other players to do such organization - not that I don't appreciate it, but I think the game should offer tools for this to make it a lot easier than it is.

I was afraid that the STO frontiers thing would end up being disappointing to you, but I couldn't bring it over me to tell you (and I am not sure why you should listen to me anyway.)

I think, 1-2 years ago you may have had a chance with it. The community is too small now to support any event of this kind. You need a lot more active PvP fleets and PvP players than STO has now.

I think we're all waiting for Gozer's miracle cure for PvP. I am at least.

Archived Post 06-03-2012 02:01 PM

It sounds like you are taking this a bit personal.

For some people it's not a conscious decision to not participate, but rather that it simply didn't suit them to be playing at the time...

Archived Post 06-03-2012 02:18 PM

What was STO Frontlines, and why did I not know about it? If there was a Space PvP tournament that I missed I am going to kick myself really hard.

Archived Post 06-03-2012 02:32 PM

Becouse

They just do not care about the players. Ask players that have been around for over a years. Cryptic/PW will tell people anything to keep them playing but fix PVP? Forget it. There is always a reason why it did not make it into the game but if you wait we will fix it.

Archived Post 06-03-2012 02:45 PM

sorry dk i personally failed to help you out. i had some forgotten about business to attend to saturday

do npot despair, all of your work can be re used one day if the situation calls for it. lets see what season 6 brungfs and if there is need/room for private player run campaign/tournament scenarios

Archived Post 06-03-2012 03:05 PM

I'm not a hardcore PvPer but I sympathize with you. Maybe you could work with Bran Flakes in setting this up on a more formal basis?

I am sure there is interest and that it can be made to work in the future. Of course, I also think there are many PvPers that just like to destroy pugs with their premades and feel good about themselves. They need to be more like the Hirogen or Klingon and value a worthy opponent....;)