Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Ds9 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=273141)

Archived Post 06-08-2012 03:18 AM

Ds9

So I'm watching the last episode of Deep Space Nine and well I love DS9 its my favorite series of Star Trek and I wanna know what the rest of you think of DS9 I know it has received a lot of hate from fans of TNG and TOS but well I think its the most human of the Star Treks

Archived Post 06-08-2012 09:54 AM

Got a bit better after Worf arrived, but it was still just certain episodes that were good. I think It would have been a lot better if they had a ship instead of a station. Sisko (Brooks) was a good character and might have been a lot better without all the prophet nonsense.

Archived Post 06-08-2012 10:27 AM

The problem with DS9, is that it was mostly Arc based. I.e. if you hated one episode, you'll probably end up hating the next 4-5 episodes. However if you like one episode, you'll probably end up liking the next 4-5 episodes. :p Which is why people do like it.

Also the various Enterprises and the Voyager were such intergral parts of their shows, they were almost treated as characters. There were tears shed in the Search for Spock, and Generations, when the Enterprises "died". DS9 itself was always more of a place then a character.

I think it's just like every other Star Trek, it had great moments, and really crappy ones. :D

Quote:

"And you know what the worst part about it is? If you drink it enough... you start liking it..."

Archived Post 06-08-2012 11:02 AM

brilliant. i loved the series. im a big fan of story arcs and huge conflict and ds9 had them in large amounts. the dominion are a cool enemy, the defiant is a great ship. the cast are the most human (so to speak) in their actions and motivations.

some weak eps here and there but the amazing stuff far outweighs the bad.

Archived Post 06-08-2012 11:04 AM

DS9 was the most "real" of all the series... I liked it

Archived Post 06-08-2012 11:27 AM

Loved it, though it was hard getting into it. I read a/the Making Of book and it helped me "understand" the ideas behind some of it and made me appreciate even the first two seasons that most consider "weak". There are a few very good episodes in there already. But the Dominion story arc brought out the best.

The only thing I regret about DS9 is that it meant Ron Moore didn'T make VOY. I would probably have preferred his take, if it was anywhere close to BSG (but maybe a bit less dark with more Trek type hope - but still with a ship and a crew that is showing the wear and tear of a voyage they never intended to be on.)

Archived Post 06-08-2012 11:29 AM

Quiet simply I am not a Star Trek fan or sci-fi either... I am a big mmo fan. :) But here is my opinion on DS9 (what I have viewed with my husband). Please take the following with some humor;

DS9 is like watching life at a truckstop... first episode? I think they all go "What a dump." then boom aliens build an off ramp and they start selling t-shirts, burgers, and fries. I did like the character Odo.

TNG constantly contradicted themselves on what they could or could not do. This is not a problem with the show but so many different writers working on it. One claims they don't use money but they gamble and buy stuff using gold pressed latnum. The pseudo science never matched up from show to show. But there were more episodes I could watch of this than any other in the series.

Voyager was the worst from conception to death. A strange mix of Gilligan's Island and Lost in Space. I actually enjoyed Gilligan's Island more, although never understood how a man could take 2 coconuts and make a nuclear reactor. But never able to repair a 3 foot hole in a boat or fix the AM radio into a transmitter. Oops... Captain Janeway... who appointed her God? That is how I felt about every single episode.

Well you asked my opinion and that is about it, I do enjoy this game more than any of the TV or movies. Why? Because we are a community of real people and not actors up on a stage.

Archived Post 06-08-2012 09:31 PM

I remember when DS9 came out how much I hated it, I never watched it past the first episode. When I got back into Star Trek I watched Voyager, Enterprise, and re watched TNG. DS9 was the last series I watched.

I watched the first two season's and only found a handful of good episodes. After that, whoa. Things really picked up and I was hooked bad. The only way to describe DS9 is EPIC. Great character development, Huge overall story, Gigantic space battles. It has become my favorite Trek by far.

Allot of Trek fans hate DS9 and most I talk to never really gave it a chance. They couldn't get past it being set on a station or that Sisko gives a "Forget You" to Picard in the first episode. Or the other big one I hear is, "They don't explore". Well unfortunately in Star Trek "exploration" is only a new alien race with new forehead makeup you will never see again. DS9 actually fleshed out alien races like the Klingons, Cardassians, Bajorians, and Jem'Hadar.

Fact is DS9 is the biggest storyline that ever happened in the Trek verse. I would go back and rewatch almost all of the Trek series again and after DS9 I saw how they didn't stack up. Quite frankly, most of the main characters in the other series are poorly developed and just dull. Voyager, in particular, seemed like a Saturday morning kids show after DS9. If you're a Trek fan and you have skipped DS9, you have missed out on some great entertainment.

Archived Post 06-08-2012 10:05 PM

It is a bad copy of Babylon 5. But I love Quark... :D

Archived Post 06-08-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkincrow
Allot of Trek fans hate DS9 and most I talk to never really gave it a chance. They couldn't get past it being set on a station or that Sisko gives a "Forget You" to Picard in the first episode. Or the other big one I hear is, "They don't explore". Well unfortunately in Star Trek "exploration" is only a new alien race with new forehead makeup you will never see again. DS9 actually fleshed out alien races like the Klingons, Cardassians, Bajorians, and Jem'Hadar.

Fact is DS9 is the biggest storyline that ever happened in the Trek verse.

To anyone who claims they don't explore, your last sentence here explains exactly what the "DS9 sucks" crowd doesn't get. They explored far more than any other Trek series before or since, The new worlds, civilizations and aliens we discover are the characters. Their hopes, dreams, inner demons, and personal transformations throughout the series are "visited" and explored via:

war
religion
rivalries
addictions
friendships
greed
romances, and
personal losses

Which results in:

self discovery

This is why, IMO, it's the best Star Trek series - it really is about the human condition.

:cool: