Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Dry Docks are due for MAINTENANCE (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=273641)

Archived Post 06-13-2012 02:32 AM

Dry Docks are due for MAINTENANCE

Title pretty much says it all. I made a previous post on the HORRIBLE looking Sun in Sol System compared to the other BRILLIANT looking Sun's of Bajor, Ds9, exploration missions, etc. This is another thing I have a problem with and have had a problem with since the launch of the game. It's 2409. Actually I believe its technically 2410 If I remember something I read not too long ago. I may be wrong on that. :p Anyways My question is this. If it is 2409 or 2410 tell me something....Why are we still using TOS era Dry Docks? Is there no way we can update a little? Maybe to something a little more 2379 http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._drydock_2.jpg for crying out loud?

Aside from my initial complaint that the dry docks are in a bit of a fashion crisis the fact is you can't even properly fit a Cruiser in ANY OF THEM. Its pretty ridiculous. I mean if you insist on having those dry docks maybe have a couple different types at the very least? If I'm not mistaken the Nebula and Galaxy Class Star ships actually have Dry docks unique for those classes of Star ships. And if you want bonus points you could always allow players to pull into a Dry Dock and change the look of their ship instead of making us beam down just to beam back up again and see how are actual ship tweaks look. You know... give the dry docks some form of actual functionality?:eek: Just an idea.

-Captain Proxy-

p.s.: The picture come from memory-alpha. Here is a link to the post with the picture in it:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sovereign_class

Archived Post 06-13-2012 06:05 AM

As the Klingons say, If the design works, don't change it :) but I agree about the issue with the Sun though

Archived Post 06-13-2012 06:21 AM

Is a horrible looking sun really an issue ? I think it looks fine, it's yellow round and shines . . what more would you want ?

But as for your dry docks, i do see your point . . they are rather tiny, although i've managed to fit my sovereign into one before for screenshots :-).

Personally i'd like there to be a functionality to them. What i'd like to see is the battle damage skin to stay on your ship after a battle . . so then you have to return to Earth spacedock, so that you can fly through these drydocks to get repaired (Restoring your normal starship skin) . . sort of like in the Star Trek Armada games when you sent a ship back for repair . . you saw all the little Work bees zip around yourship fixing it . . and it took about 10-15 seconds.

I just think that'd be a cool little feature combined with your design overhaul :-).

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:13 AM

My take

What I would love to see is when I walk into Ship Requisitions at ESD, or the shipyard at Qo'nos, to see MY ship through the window in the dockyard area (my configuration, color scheme, etc). If my ship is damaged, I would expect it to have the same damaged appearance as it does in a mission or in sector space.

I realize this would mean that every player actually sees something different, but I don't see any technical reason why this couldn't work. Loot containers look different to everyone, depending on who they belong to.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:39 AM

We have a full range of Drydocks. For Utopia Planitia, I made an updated version of the Type I/II drydocks, built a type 3, and a type 4, and Denis built a new one which you'll see with Fleet Starbases, which is more 2409.

The way I rationalized it was that each type of drydock was built to service some specific set of ships. There's no rust in space, so as long as those keep working, they'll keep working on older ships within them. You're not going to fit a Galaxy Class within a Type I drydock. But similarly, you could fit 2 or 3 constitution classes within a Type 4, which is a waste. So you (starfleet) uses the newer types to update the newer types of ships, and the older types to service older types of ships.

The Sol System, admittedly, has not been updated with the newer drydocks. Again, if I can get in there at some point, I'll gladly update those and the sun.

As for showing your ship outside the windows, this is actually more difficult than it sounds. If this were a private instance, where only you existed, it wouldn't be a problem to spawn your ship out there. However, in an instance that can have 25 different people, and there's only 1 spawn point outside the window, who's ship do you show? We don't have any way that I know of, to show different people different things.

Personally, I think having the Odyssey out there is fine. Besides. . . she won't be there for much longer. . .

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumerboy (Post 4258381)
We have a full range of Drydocks. For Utopia Planitia, I made an updated version of the Type I/II drydocks, built a type 3, and a type 4, and Denis built a new one which you'll see with Fleet Starbases, which is more 2409.

The way I rationalized it was that each type of drydock was built to service some specific set of ships. There's no rust in space, so as long as those keep working, they'll keep working on older ships within them. You're not going to fit a Galaxy Class within a Type I drydock. But similarly, you could fit 2 or 3 constitution classes within a Type 4, which is a waste. So you (starfleet) uses the newer types to update the newer types of ships, and the older types to service older types of ships.

The Sol System, admittedly, has not been updated with the newer drydocks. Again, if I can get in there at some point, I'll gladly update those and the sun.

As for showing your ship outside the windows, this is actually more difficult than it sounds. If this were a private instance, where only you existed, it wouldn't be a problem to spawn your ship out there. However, in an instance that can have 25 different people, and there's only 1 spawn point outside the window, who's ship do you show? We don't have any way that I know of, to show different people different things.

Personally, I think having the Odyssey out there is fine. Besides. . . she won't be there for much longer. . .

Tumerboy say wat?? so the Odyssey inside ESD is going to disappear??

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

You're not going to fit a Galaxy Class within a Type I drydock.

Bull dukey, Tumerboy. I've slotted my G-X into those docks with no problem.

As for that little hint... Lemme guess, we're getting the Armitage?

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Tumerboy, i was just wondering if there are anyplans to make the drydocks functional in anyway as in my post above ? Just think the idea might be cool :cool:, but people would maybe complain about seeing damage on the ship and visiting docks to repair them . . lol

Archived Post 06-13-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
Bull dukey, Tumerboy. I've slotted my G-X into those docks with no problem.

As for that little hint... Lemme guess, we're getting the Armitage?

That's because the ones in STO aren't the small versions. They're the bigger versions that can accomodate Galaxy-class ships.

Galaxy in a "normal-looking" dock

There is, of course, the McKinley type, but that's not the only version that can handle the Galaxy.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

However, in an instance that can have 25 different people, and there's only 1 spawn point outside the window, who's ship do you show?

Since the instance is rendered on each persons own computer it could be that each person sees his or her own ship there. Of course, this would require some tech-magic that would have to be implemented first.