Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Carrier crew damage beyond absurd. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=273658)

Archived Post 06-13-2012 08:59 AM

Carrier crew damage beyond absurd.

With a crew of 3000, one would expect to find a handful of expendable extras...so why is EVERYONE in my crew expendable? Why do I have to spend several minutes after EVERY STF resurrecting my crew? Within minutes of battle, I'm already 40-60% down and by the end it's a miracle I have enough crew left to warp out of the system. Something is doing massive amounts of crew damage, and since the rate of regeneration is NOT proportional to the amount of crew, I can never make up for that. This needs to be fixed. I'm already using a Biofunction monitor and Emergency Force Fields, and yet I STILL find I can't use Boarding Party because I don't have enough crew left (and I might add, it sucks that it will fire the skill and cooldown, but do nothing when you're low on crew, even if I still have enough crew members to man the shuttles).

Please fix this soon!

Archived Post 06-13-2012 09:20 AM

This has been an issue for a very long time, but it's not just limited to carriers.

Regardless though, it's pointless as crew damage doesn't impact anything significant (Boarding Party sucks anyway so why are you running it...) so don't worry so much about it. :cool:

Archived Post 06-13-2012 09:51 AM

1.) It's a very thematically appropriate power for a carrier, but also
2.) it's an important part of my "Denial of Service" build, along with lots of phasers courtesy of my peregrines, Viral Matrix, Tyken's Rift, subsystem targeting, etc.

It's absurd that I can have more crew remaining (over 500) than many ships have in total and yet still can't scrape together 30 volunteers for boarding party.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyouki
It's absurd that I can have more crew remaining (over 500) than many ships have in total and yet still can't scrape together 30 volunteers for boarding party.

I get that, but I'm just saying that overall it doesn't really effect the performance of your ship and if you think the torp damage is bad try getting run over by a theta radiation vent. Anyway the reason that this is happening to you is because the various weapons in the game have a chance to kill/injure a % of the target ship's crew rather than a chance to kill/injure X number of people.

As for why I said it was pointless, that is because BP is cleared by Tac Team, which is carried by something like 90% of PvPers today, thereby rendering the skill ineffective.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 10:44 AM

my carrier is built with shields in mind, as far as crew goes, ill lose no more then %10 while the rest are in that orange color, my science consoles are either shields regeneration or boosts to science abilities like Science Team to keep my shields up, also use shield polarity, attack pattern alpha, and i use brace for impact cause i have some doffs on space duty that give me a chance to boost my shields whenever i use brace for impact, its a rare thing to see my carrier w/o a shield facing since i use alot of debuffs that keep certain abilities from draining my shields, my carrier is specifically built to fight the borg, along with using 3 piece borg and aegis shield, i dont have to wrry so much about my crew when my shields pretty much stay up the whole time

Archived Post 06-13-2012 11:25 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought able crew and aux power had a direct correlation to subsystem repair rates, does it not?

I'm not using the Carrier, but the Excelsior Refit (?) (the one with the advanced transwarp drive) and even with 100% shields and 100% hull a couple of hits from anything and the majority of my crew are dead or injured. Either it is just my perception or once this happens it does seem that subsystems aren't repairing as quickly or as efficiently. Also if the crew doesn't matter for anything other than boarding party why bother having an alive, injured, or dead set of variables, why not just have available or not available?

Archived Post 06-13-2012 02:49 PM

Since I don't PvP, I couldn't care less that BP is useless for PvP. Also, I'm not saying I don't understand the mechanisms of specifically why it's happening, what I don't understand is why they deem it necessary to render all my crew disabled every single combat. Why, also, is BP the only skill affected? By the logic that the crew is all dead or injured, all the "Team" skills should stop working too when everyone is too dead or dying to repel the borg, fix the shields, or repair the hull. This is flawed, nonsensical (from a realism view), and needs to be corrected. At very least they should make crew recovery a % over time rather than a flat number over time, so I don't have to spend several minutes sitting in space between STFs getting my crew back up.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 02:58 PM

forgive my ignorence but I never really paid attention to my crew until recently what exactly does it affect? I may have not noticed because I dont PvP yet.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivar (Post 4258357)
This has been an issue for a very long time, but it's not just limited to carriers.

Regardless though, it's pointless as crew damage doesn't impact anything significant (Boarding Party sucks anyway so why are you running it...) so don't worry so much about it. :cool:

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivar (Post 4258467)
I get that, but I'm just saying that overall it doesn't really effect the performance of your ship and if you think the torp damage is bad try getting run over by a theta radiation vent. Anyway the reason that this is happening to you is because the various weapons in the game have a chance to kill/injure a % of the target ship's crew rather than a chance to kill/injure X number of people.

As for why I said it was pointless, that is because BP is cleared by Tac Team, which is carried by something like 90% of PvPers today, thereby rendering the skill ineffective.

This also. I believe crew also has an effect on repair rates.

Personally I think they should just entirely scrap the crew damage mechanic as it has never worked well or made much sense.

Archived Post 06-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyouki
With a crew of 3000, one would expect to find a handful of expendable extras...so why is EVERYONE in my crew expendable? Why do I have to spend several minutes after EVERY STF resurrecting my crew?

I replaced my crew with zombies. They don't care if they're dead.