Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   We're losing Dialog with Object! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=280761)

thegreendragoon1 06-22-2012 08:15 PM

We're losing Dialog with Object!

Tribble was patched up tonight and the made a very disturbing change to the Foundry. They've removed the new Dialog with Object feature that was introduced a couple weeks ago. Here are the relevant patch notes.

Quote:

• Removed the Dialog with Object objective type.
  • This had the same functionality as having an Interact with Object objective followed by a popup dialog, and the older function works better.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Dialog with Object is very different than Interact with Object + Popup Dialog. The biggest difference is that Dialog with Object supports a failure outcome where a Popup Dialog doesn't.

Dialog with Object has been a hugely requested feature. Up until this point if we wanted to do a puzzle, we had to resort to an NPC contact. But we don't always want our puzzles to come from a person, sometimes we want them to come from interacting with an object.

No I understand that for someone who hasn't worked much with the Foundry it might seem like Dialog with Object is redundant, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Dialog with Object and Interact with Object have very different purposes. I already had extensive plans for how to use Dialog with Object once it hit live.

If any Dev is reading this, please put it back.

thegreendragoon1 06-22-2012 08:51 PM

Quick update, I was able to flag down Branflakes and he promised he would pass this along to the appropriate dev. Hopefully we can get this straightened out. :smile:

bazag 06-22-2012 08:54 PM

I'd like to support Green Dragoon's statement.

Cryptic please keep in Dialog with Object.

I know that animation with it is broken but it adds a unique way to approach interactions. It essentially turns objects into NPC contacts (though without the costume) and this allows us to use objective dialogs as result from a trigger.

For example in Kai Hard my latest mission I have a puzzle that you have to solve. I use the popup to do this puzzle however it would have been easier if I could use Object with Dialog as an objective. That way I could have the player call in support and request help.

Anyway point is.... It's not exactly the same as interact with object and popup.

Please let us keep it and if you can fix it then fix and if not. Well, the lack of animation is something that we'll just work around it as we have always done.

Edit: Re:Quick Update. *crosses fingers*

ajstoner 06-23-2012 09:39 AM

I very much hope I am mistaken here but I have been getting the impression that PWE doesn't really care for the foundry and means to marginalize it more and more it over time so it can die a slow death with minimal protest from the player base. :frown:

woghd 06-23-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoner (Post 4378041)
I very much hope I am mistaken here but I have been getting the impression that PWE doesn't really care for the foundry and means to marginalize it more and more it over time so it can die a slow death with minimal protest from the player base. :frown:

YEAH...PWE doesn't care.
Don't get me started.

drogyn1701 06-23-2012 02:28 PM

You guys know why they took this out right? Cause players complained about it. Look through the tribble feedback threads and you'll find complaints about not being able to have the interact animation with the talk to object. Like, say http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=273134 for instance. Maybe PWE doesn't care about the foundry, but this is not an example of it.

Personally I don't know why we can't have it both ways. They work in different situations. I'm glad they're taking another look at it.

starkofthenorth 06-23-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter if PWE cares about the foundry. They are just the parrent company and likely have little interest in "the little things" in running STO. What does matter is that Cryptic cares about the Foundry, wich they do. Cryptic is developing the Foundry, not PWE.

sandukutupu 06-23-2012 07:37 PM

You boys are giving me worry lines. I have enough wrinkles, I don't need more. :biggrin:

Bottom line here is, they need to keep ADDING not taking away from the Foundry. Even if they "think" something is broken or of no use, they need to improve not REMOVE.

I get complaints from the players about my mission (see sig) "There is too much zoning. Blah, blah, blah..." Excuse me, but they need to listen to the people developing the missions, otherwise the missions with just become a bunch of these "Water the Bushes parts 1,2,&3" which seems to be what a great many players want to do the daily three.

I would be in favor of them making a minimum requirement, so they can't make those missions. I played that looking for a joke and then realized the thing was a simple cheat. :tongue:

My new mission (in production) is going to be just 3 or 4 maps. But I am loading it FULL of dialog. Now they want to take the dialog away? WTF!?

thegreendragoon1 06-24-2012 06:42 AM

I honestly do think this is a case of a dev taking it out because it wasn't working quite right yet and not realizing that it has a major use. There are a number of new things in the foundry that could be new features but simply don't work yet.

While it would be nice for the animation feature to work, that is not what makes it useful. And it is still very useful even without the animation field working.

tenkari 06-24-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

considering the foundry is in pretty much all cryptic games, and is going to be an integrated part of Neverwinter, PWE wouldnt screw with it. besides, The foundry is a good thing for PWE..... all they have to do is say "give these foundry missions level appropriate XP and rewards" and all of a sudden theres less content they need to fund.....