Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Voting System for PvP-AFK'ers/grinders (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=285761)

thecylus 06-26-2012 05:05 PM

Voting System for PvP-AFK'ers/grinders

As a PvPer I noticed a lot of grinders since STO went F2P. They just stay at spawn point - sometimes without shields - and do nothing, out of respawn.

So I want a voting system for the team, which makes it possible to kick someone from the map, if 50%+ of the team agrees, to keep those grinders away from serious PvP.

atomicfb 06-26-2012 05:07 PM

While not a bad idea, it would just end up being bad form where some pvp teams would just boot someone cause they don't like their build or if they are playing like a noob etc. Basically it would end up being a griefing tool and not for what it is used for.

Maybe some like a warning if they haven't moved in a while, like a timer or something.

aytanhi 06-26-2012 06:54 PM

Add an AFK timer and a vote kick option!

dantrainor 06-27-2012 02:37 AM

Vote kick is too easily abused, imo.

What we need is the removal of rewarding presence in pvp. Find a way to reward active participation. Promotes player improvement, and kills afk'ers in one fell swoop :D

warmaker001b 06-27-2012 02:49 AM

Granting the reward from participation sounds good, but you do have to be careful about one thing.

Not penalizing the PVPer because he just plain sucks (hey, he's new).

It's one thing if they're not doing anything or just flying straight and doing absolutely nothing but getting shot. But it's another if the player is actually trying, but just is terrible. The player that's trying should never be penalized as if he was an AFKer and wasn't contributing nice numbers.

dantrainor 06-27-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmaker001b (Post 4448911)
Not penalizing the PVPer because he just plain sucks (hey, he's new).

That's a good point, but at the same time, should the guy who tried but sucks and got 10k damage and 15k heals get as much reward as his teammate who 20x'd his damage and got the only 2 kills the team got in a 2-15 stomping?

warmaker001b 06-27-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantrainor (Post 4448941)
That's a good point, but at the same time, should the guy who tried but sucks and got 10k damage and 15k heals get as much reward as his teammate who 20x'd his damage and got the only 2 kills the team got in a 2-15 stomping?

There is a point to what you say, but personally, why would you want to snuff any incentive to come back for a brand new PVPer?

For a new PVPer to get negligible rewards because he's new and sucks, is terrible. If he had any sense, he'd just stick to PVE. And for the Federation, that's very easy to do.

Then we find ourselves reinforcing again the current situation: Not as many PVPers, and new ones, with any badly thought out reward system, will have even less reasons to try PVP again.

It's already a humbling experience to see your prized Cruiser get smoked by a clever, seasoned PVPer in less than 3 seconds. But when you end the match after getting beaten hard, and try to learn from your mistakes, but see that you're getting squat for sticking around for the fight?... Why would you try again? I'd just go back to PVE and actually get rewards for my efforts.

Edit to add: I'm going to sort of veer off, but this brings to mind some changes that temporarily went in place some time ago in SWTOR. Win or lose a match, all active participants got something out of it, to make it worth your time. Naturally, winners got a bigger reward.

But BioWare implemented a change that winners got the good rewards, and the losing team got essentially squat.

You know what happened with participation in PVP? Players quit immediately on the very, very first sign of a loss. Better to quit and look for a match for a chance to win by rolling the opposing team. And after time, PVP dwindled even further.

BioWare saw the complaints in the forums and undid the PVP reward changes back to where it was before. Then boom, things were good again.
======

I'm down for booting an AFKer, but a budding new PVPer should not be thrown into the same lot with them since they aren't putting up spectacular numbers.

thoroon 06-27-2012 03:14 AM

Most games I play have a rather nice solution for PvP Kickvotes:
1. Everytime you report someone AFK, it counts up a hidden counter. If it reached a certain amount, it neglects your voterights for a period of time, to circumvent abuse.
2. If enough players reported someone AFK, he gets a debuff. While having the debuff you don't get any rewards. Only way to remove it, is by doing something actively (fighting).
The debuff counts down a minute or two, which kicks you from the game afterwards.
3. When you get kicked, you get a (nonremoveable) debuff. While having it, you can't queue for PvP.

It's a simple, working solution.

dantrainor 06-27-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmaker001b (Post 4449051)
It's already a humbling experience to see your prized Cruiser get smoked by a clever, seasoned PVPer in less than 3 seconds. But when you end the match after getting beaten hard, and try to learn from your mistakes, but see that you're getting squat for sticking around for the fight?... Why would you try again? I'd just go back to PVE and actually get rewards for my efforts.

But that player in this hypothetical situation hasn't put in any effort, really.
They've just rolled up to pvp thinking they already knoiw it all and got beaten by a more experienced player. What I, personally, would like to see is that player going away from that match with a reality check, saying to themselves "wow, I have got alot to learn if I want to play like that guy/get those awesome pvp rewards. I better get started on upping my game" as opposed to "**** that!, too much work".

Don't get me wrong, in general I agree with you; we don't want to be driving off fresh-meat-I-mean-new-players.
There's just no easy solution to the problem. Too much rewards for poor play and it's too carebear for the hardcore, too little rewards for poor play and it's too hardcore for the carebears, who may be put off.

sollvax 06-27-2012 03:31 AM

Well some alternatives

1 remove all rewards from pvp just for being there
Instead reward 1 dilith per 100 hull / shields healed on a team member (upto a maximum of say 500 dilith) other than yourself of course
an 1 dilith per 500 points of damage dished out to an ACTIVE moving ship
plus a nice reward for the winning team (say 1 item at the mk of the ENEMIES gear per character)

2 second alternative make pvp COST dilith if your side loses (say you pay 250 to play and get 750 if you win)

3 And I like this one
Any vessel that NOT moving and not firing for 5 continuous minutes switches to NPC and close engages the enemy PLUS gets no reward of any kind