Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Galaxy-X Saucer Sep (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=287331)

landshark535 06-28-2012 02:17 AM

Galaxy-X Saucer Sep

I haven't heard anything about the Galaxy-X getting saucer separation in awhile. Anyone know if it is still in the works?

sparhawk 06-28-2012 02:50 AM

Haven't heard a peep from Cryptic on this for quite a while now. I'm also curious what happened.

anazonda 06-28-2012 02:53 AM

Some random dev, who didn seem too important was on STOked and told them that it had been shelfed for a undetermined amount of time because there were tech issues.

red01999 06-28-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 4468191)
Some random dev, who didn seem too important was on STOked and told them that it had been shelfed for a undetermined amount of time because there were tech issues.

I hope they come back to it. This feature would make me seriously consider picking up the Dreadnaught.

daiouvegeta2 06-28-2012 05:17 AM

Why?

Saucer Separation would do nothing to increase the abilities of the dreadnought. Increasing it's turn radius really wouldn't fix anything either. It's a large slow turning megadeath machine. But there are very viable ways to get around the lunar orbit speed of it's turn radius and wreck your opponents.

It's not canon, the original dreadnought didn't do it and most likely couldn't because of the spinal lance. The spinal lance was added in such a way they'd have to cut an entirely new section of the saucer out for it to separate correctly.

Saucer separation pets are retarded and die easily. The scripting they use while at least it works, can't be controlled and the saucer separated pet tends to die very quickly due to severely decreased stats.

So again, I ask why even bother having or wanting saucer sep for the dreadnought?

fulleatherjacket 06-28-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 (Post 4469811)
Why?

Saucer Separation would do nothing to increase the abilities of the dreadnought. Increasing it's turn radius really wouldn't fix anything either.

Your conclusion is wrong. It would fix the uselessness of dual heavy cannons on the dreadnought.

blitzy4 06-28-2012 05:37 AM

Look the real problem with the Galaxy-X getting saucer seperation is what do you do to the Galaxy-R to counter it, or are you just dropping it. Until Cryptic/PWE comes up with a good answer, I think it'll be a while till we see it.

hakaishinlegion 06-28-2012 05:53 AM

Even if it were possible, I can't say I'd do it.

The Galaxy-X's greatest strength is its ability to instantaneously remove any target from play in PvP. Saucer Sep would dramatically weaken the Lance by what they were talking about, making it an AoE weapon instead of a concentrated burst.

Even if this became possible, I'd never use it.

No point for an AoE shotgun (it's no longer a lance). Damage would need to be equal or superior to 2x FAW3's all concentrated into 1 blast to even be viable (which we all know Cryptic won't do).

It becomes completely meaningless, and you remove the Galaxy-X's primary and greatest strength at the cost of a console slot.

If you're actually giving serious consideration to this, then at the risk of being rude in pointing out the obvious truth, you have failed to use the Galaxy-X properly to date.

alexindcobra 06-28-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion (Post 4470281)
Even if it were possible, I can't say I'd do it.

The Galaxy-X's greatest strength is its ability to instantaneously remove any target from play in PvP. Saucer Sep would dramatically weaken the Lance by what they were talking about, making it an AoE weapon instead of a concentrated burst.

Even if this became possible, I'd never use it.

No point for an AoE shotgun (it's no longer a lance). Damage would need to be equal or superior to 2x FAW3's all concentrated into 1 blast to even be viable (which we all know Cryptic won't do).

It becomes completely meaningless, and you remove the Galaxy-X's primary and greatest strength at the cost of a console slot.

If you're actually giving serious consideration to this, then at the risk of being rude in pointing out the obvious truth, you have failed to use the Galaxy-X properly to date.

I agree. If they are going to separate the sauser on the Galaxy-X, they better make the sauser use cannons as well as the phaser beams, and I would be very angry if separation cost me another console slot.

landshark535 06-28-2012 07:30 PM

I was wondering mostly because I remember hearing that when the Galaxy-X got saucer sep the Galaxy variants might end up in a bundle.