Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Interior development (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323151)

oooooon 07-22-2012 01:43 AM

Interior development

I have probably missed a few interview out there. But I am curious to know what Cryptics plan is for the ship interiors?

I realise they have a limited development schedule, but still they must have drawed up some plans. Or perhaps something has been mentioned in the many dev interviews etc.

So far I've read that there are plans to make the Voyager and TNG bundle (thank god finally)
But what about expanding the functionality of the interiors? Any thoughts or rumors?

mikewendell 07-22-2012 05:23 AM

I believe the last we heard in passing was that they were thinking about some foundry like builder for the interior.

I'd give a link but that appears to offend people here.

scififan78 07-22-2012 06:59 AM

If they do end up allowing users to utilize the foundry to "build" customized ship interiors, I hope they include assets to allow owners of the unique ships ( Bug, Galor, D'kora, Tholian) to finish their interiors. Also for that matter, allow proper interiors for the D'kyr and Atrox as well as period proper assets for the NX, Constitution Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Oberth.

Same love needs to go to the KDF as well. I am tired of going to my Gorn ship and stepping on to a Klingon bridge. We may be allies but the Klingons did not build my ship!

dkeith2011 07-22-2012 07:08 AM

Its really disappointing that the company that created the outstanding Super Group base editor for City of Heroes can't seem to do the same quality of work for ships and bases here.

xenor002 07-22-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkeith2011 (Post 4907921)
Its really disappointing that the company that created the outstanding Super Group base editor for City of Heroes can't seem to do the same quality of work for ships and bases here.

They're too busy working on Neverwinter and lockboxes.

direphoenix 07-22-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkeith2011 (Post 4907921)

It's funny that I hear so many people praising CoH's base editor NOW. Back when I was playing that game a few years ago, I remember everyone saying that it was the crappiest excuse for a editor with no actual choices so almost all bases ended up looking pretty much the same.

Also, didn't supergroup bases come into play after Cryptic sold CoH to NCSoft?

tacofangs 07-22-2012 08:35 AM

No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.

ufpterrell 07-22-2012 08:43 AM

I think that's a real shame. The one reason I don't visit my interior is because it's a total eye-sore. If they were redone, I would enjoy just looking around. I know when I play on my TOS character, I LOVE looking around the interior looking at all the little details but if all your ships have the same bland corridors, mess hall and engineering there isn't any point. Hell, the crew don't even wear the right uniforms.

I realise it would take some effort, but if you did it right I think there would be a lot of people, myself included that would be very grateful for it. I know I'd kill for a Galaxy interior which has the same attention to detail as the TOS set and I'd GLADLY pay for it, even though it's something that should be there by right... if it helps the game and means we get quality interiors than it's a price I'm prepared to pay.

kagasensei 07-22-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 4908901)
No, we built the super base editor even before CoV (i.e. long before the sell off)

We heard very little praise back then for the editor, and got almost nothing but complaints. Our statistics showed that only about 10% of people used the base for anything other than a quick door to teleport around the rest of the world.

All of that is one reason we've been hesitant in doing it over again. We tried a new method with Hideouts in Champions, which seemed to be met with moderate success, but took a lot of work to build.

I've heard nothing about redoing ship interiors. My personal feeling is that there should be little customization on layout. If you have an Intrepid, you get an Intrepid class layout. If you have a Defiant, you get a Defiant class layout. But I think players should have control over a few different overall styles, textures, colors, and lighting. So all Galaxy Class ships would have the same layout, but you could choose from TNG style (beige, brightly lit) or 2409 style, or random style A, B or C. etc.

However, that is just my personal feelings on the matter, no work is being done on Interiors at the moment, and havent heard of it being added to the schedule at all. Plus, all of that would be a lot of work.

Now THIS sounds awesome! You keep that spirit up! :)
1) Having the proper interiors for each ship (or shiptype) would greatly enhance the general immersion of the game and would tremendously increase the "caretaking"-factor each player develops for "his/her" ship (This would also increase the potential of selling ship/ship interior-costimuzation in the C-store a lot...)
2) Having "standardized" interiors, i.e. a limited set of possible interior layouts, opens up the possibility of finally designing missions INSIDE of your ship.
3) Adding those interior sets as assets to the Foundry might take care of 2)... We'll see what happens with the Defiant and TOS sets once the Foundry's back up ;P

dkeith2011 07-22-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Personally, I love tinkering with my bases. Tweaking them to really represent my characters is one of the most fun parts of the game to me.

Quote:

And since the new Overlords don't like anything that takes a lot of work instead of quick afternoon I imagine it will never happen.

Quote:

Agree 100% with this part. That would actually make things simpler on the Devs side. Make basic templates complete with standard rooms in standard places for each hull and leave the interior decorating to us.

Quote:

And as I said above anything that requires a lot of work will probably never happen.