Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ask Cryptic: Episode Missions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33073)

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:40 PM

Ask Cryptic: Episode Missions

It's time for another Ask Cryptic, where the questions you ask go straight to our developers. This round, we're talking about Episode Missions, those mission arcs in the game designed to feel like you're playing an episode of Star Trek. If you have questions you'd like to ask the team, please do so in this post's comment thread. Read on to learn a bit about Episode Missions.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:52 PM

When you help a friend do a mission/episode you've already done, how long is the wait between the time you finish it and the time you can help your friend(s)? Also, if you're a much higher level than your friend you're helping, how do the NPC enemies con themselves? (Closer to your friends, you, or in-between?)

Also, how many/in-depth will the Klingon missions be? If any, of course.

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:53 PM

It's been stated that Klingon's wont have some of the Major Episode Arcs that the Federation has... does this mean that they will have their own special arcs?

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:56 PM

Will Klingon's have a form of "PvP missions" to give them a bit more of a story and reason for going out to kill fed's?

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks Rekhan

Archived Post 11-10-2009 06:59 PM

Are there any thoughts of adding epic missions later on? AKA missions that would play out like Movies rather than episodes.

Archived Post 11-10-2009 07:00 PM

what happens if i Fail a Episode? through death or not saving vulcan from a large planet blower-upper gun? will i need to go back to the npc mission giver and start again?

Archived Post 11-10-2009 07:06 PM

Is there any chance we do some bounty missions??? What about a general mission board, possible intergrating some user content into it?

Archived Post 11-10-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo999 (Post 941083)
what happens if i Fail a Episode? through death or not saving vulcan from a large planet blower-upper gun? will i need to go back to the npc mission giver and start again?

Perhaps you can catch it in re-runs later?

--

Anyhoo, the mood-setting "captain's log" establishing shot and voice-over are a core part of the Star Trek episode experience for me - will STO episodes begin with a similar structure (with a super-imposed title floating in space? I'll grant that full-on opening credits might be one step too far out of the world), or will we just pick up missions through dialog-boxes with our officers and over subspace radio, then jump right in?

Archived Post 11-10-2009 07:12 PM

1. You mention making "diplomatic overtures" toward potential enemies in Episodes. How will this diplomatic system work and what will influence how often it's successful? (Is it pre-set by the episode, based off a character Persuasion stat, up to player skill ... etc?)
  2. Do Klingons have access to their own faction specific Episodes or does everyone share the same set of episodes?
  3. Will there be any episodes that revolve around one of our bridge officers? Rescuing a trapped man, saving my science officer from an alien parasite ... etc.
  4. Are their missions that take the characters out of their normal element - things that happen on shore leave, disguising as a member of a primitive species ... etc?