Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   What's the stance on using information from, say, Wikipedia? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=343311)

batmanforever365 08-06-2012 09:12 AM

What's the stance on using information from, say, Wikipedia?
 
Or any kind of reference website.

I was just thinking if one of the characters mentioned a game that someone else wasn't familiar with, they could consult the computer and it would spit back the answer, but the information would be taken from a site that contained said information (i.e. where the information was obtained by the writer).

Would this be okay or is it a no-no? :)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies! :cool:

palpha2clearance 08-06-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmanforever365 (Post 5149951)
Or any kind of reference website.

I was just thinking if one of the characters mentioned a game that someone else wasn't familiar with, they could consult the computer and it would spit back the answer, but the information would be taken from a site that contained said information (i.e. where the information was obtained by the writer).

Would this be okay or is it a no-no? :)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies! :cool:

I do not see any problem using said info, for strictly informational purposes, if the info is credible, I am not aware of any copy right issues concerning reproduction of this type.

I would refrain from naming any real names in the post, unless it was common historical knowledge. Hope that helps.

drogyn1701 08-06-2012 09:42 AM

I believe referencing a third-party website by name is a no-no, but using the info is probably ok. I would rewrite the info in your own words, just to avoid any plagiarism charges (I think fair use might apply, but just to be on the safe side I'd rewrite it.)

Be aware though that anything directly referencing modern political issues (i.e. if you were to write a mission specifically and directly about a certain restaurant and its stance on a certain issue ;), that would be a EULA violation).

batmanforever365 08-06-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogyn1701 (Post 5150361)
I believe referencing a third-party website by name is a no-no, but using the info is probably ok. I would rewrite the info in your own words, just to avoid any plagiarism charges (I think fair use might apply, but just to be on the safe side I'd rewrite it.)

Oh, I wouldn't be referencing the site by name. It'd go something like, "Computer. State any and all information you have on the game 52 Pick-Up." :) Though, as you say, to avoid plagarism issues, I'd reword it so it wasn't exactly as it was on the website, but I'd still phrase it so it sounds like it's coming from a computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogyn1701 (Post 5150361)
Be aware though that anything directly referencing modern political issues (i.e. if you were to write a mission specifically and directly about a certain restaurant and its stance on a certain issue ;), that would be a EULA violation).

Gee, I wonder what restaurant you're referring to? lol :D Don't worry; I don't have any plans to go that route. Though it's wonderful to get this information if I ever decided differently. Thank you both for your help! :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 PM.