Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   A couple of questions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=344311)

baz177 08-07-2012 06:29 AM

A couple of questions

So I have come back to STO, again after a wee break, level 24 now and enjoying it, but I want to ask a couple of, what might be simple questions/answers.

Bridge officers, if I don't get the best ones while levelling will that cause me issues later in the game? Is it worth changing them on a regular basis or just sticking with my first ones?

The missions that are in the available tab on the quest log, do they display previously done missions? I am sure I have done a number of the explore the delta volanis cluster before...

Diplomatic missions, are these just normal missions but don't have combat? Do they award any different xp or anything? What about the exploration missions, are they just the same as the mission I mentioned above?

Is there a recommended way to kit out your BOFFS for ground combat or does it not make that much of a difference? Is it best to control them or leave them to their own devices?

I think that it is for now, if I think of anything else I will be sure to raise it :)

Thank you!

\o

bluegeek 08-07-2012 09:42 AM

My responses in orange below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz177 (Post 5162691)
So I have come back to STO, again after a wee break, level 24 now and enjoying it, but I want to ask a couple of, what might be simple questions/answers.

Bridge officers, if I don't get the best ones while levelling will that cause me issues later in the game? Is it worth changing them on a regular basis or just sticking with my first ones?

Early in the game, you might be putting a lot of Bridge Officer skill points (now known as Expertise) into your Bridge Officers. Since Expertise can be hard to come by at the lower levels, you might want to hang on to the BOFF's you've upgraded and promoted.

As you get BOFFs of higher quality, they get access to skill levels that common BOFFs do not. Also, they get the benefit of improved traits that can help in ground or space combat.

If you get "unique" Bridge Officers from a Featured Episode or otherwise, you definitely want to consider hanging on to them because you can't reclaim them easily (if at all).

You might consider swapping out your BOFFs for different/higher skills, or you might try to train up the ones you have with the skills you want instead. It's a matter of taste and preference.

Sometimes I will pick up a BOFF of the same race, gender, and profession as one I already have, but with a higher quality. I make sure I save the old BOFF's costume at the Tailor, dismiss them, commission the new one, apply the saved costume, and give them the same name as my old BOFF.

Ta-Da! "Same" Bridge Officer, new stats.

The missions that are in the available tab on the quest log, do they display previously done missions? I am sure I have done a number of the explore the delta volanis cluster before...

Sometimes, depending on the mission giver. A lot of completed missions can be accessed through the Episode tab. I can't access the game right now, so I can't check for you.

Diplomatic missions, are these just normal missions but don't have combat? Do they award any different xp or anything? What about the exploration missions, are they just the same as the mission I mentioned above?

Basically, yes. A Diplomatic mission will not have any kill objectives, although there might be some incidental combat on the side. They earn Diplomatic XP in the same way that Duty Officer Diplomacy assignments do, but usually not as much. (I'm hoping Cryptic goes back and tweaks that when they get a chance)

Exploration missions do not award Exploration XP at this time. Some non-combat missions you get in an Exploration sector do award Diplomatic XP instead. Others might award data samples.

Is there a recommended way to kit out your BOFFS for ground combat or does it not make that much of a difference? Is it best to control them or leave them to their own devices?

For PvE missions on normal difficulty, it's not that critical. If you keep them in gear that's at least close to your own rank, they'll be okay.

You do want to make sure that your BOFFs have a mix of expose and exploit weapons. And it's probably best that your "medic" doesn't carry any AoE weapons... you don't want them drawing a lot of aggro from the enemy. I like to make sure at least one of my BOFFs has a pulsewave weapon if I'm fighting enemies that close in to melee range.

I normally let my BOFFs fend for themselves, but occasionally it makes sense to pre-position them before starting a fight (for flanking bonuses), direct them to attack specific targets, or set them to a passive stance if I'm trying to get past a mob without a fight. It depends on the mission and what difficulty level you play at.

I think that it is for now, if I think of anything else I will be sure to raise it :)

Thank you!

\o

hevach 08-07-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz177 (Post 5162691)

Boff quality doesn't really mean much - it only applies to their passives, which overwhelmingly only apply in ground combat, and the difference between basic and superior traits isn't really a game changer. They also don't take part in any group content, like fleet events, STFs, or PVP.

Quote:

Many missions are repeatable, others repeat daily, some rotate so each day you'll get one of several options.

Quote:

Diplomatic missions are non-combat. They give Diplomatic experience, which is one of the duty officer commendation categories. Your duty officers are generally much more efficient at getting that experience, but there's a bunch of options for doing it yourself to help out.

Quote:

There's a lot of schools of thought here, but my personal preference is one medic (science officer with four heals, make sure one of them is Nanite Health Monitor when you're fighting Borg), and then load the rest of the team with engineers trained in turrets, mortars, and drones. The AI is dumb, but engineers are good at just flooding the field with targets to overcome that problem. Borg adaptation is per-shooter, and most of those fabricated pets can remodulate, so this also helps keep fire on hard targets even when you or your boffs are locked out by adaptation.

As for control or leaving them to their own, using the Y key to focus them on difficult targets is a good idea, but against weaker groups I find it best to just let them spread out and shoot what they feel like.

baz177 08-07-2012 11:50 AM

Thank you very much bluegeek and hevach very helpful.

Just got back home and looking around...when I select a BOFF and select the career Options -> Train, where does that list of skills to train come from? When you talk about BOFFS getting skill levels that other lower BOFFS get, do you mean things like 'Shield Recharge I' and 'Shield Recharge II'?

In my stations tab I have 3 Bridge Officer Candidates, two are showing as blue and 1 as white, I assume the blue means higher quality, and therefore higher skills, i.e. 'Shield Recharge II' instead of I?

I think the different skill choices for BOFFS is overwhelming and don't know which are good and bad and don't want to waste the expertise points... :S

kylesal24 08-07-2012 02:15 PM

Hi and welcome back!
What they mean by training is that there is a NPC on Earth Space Dock that can change the skills of your BO. He is by the Medical area, or he is next to the fleet starter person.

Yes, blue means better, to a point. All skills can be trained on anyone of that class, eg. tac, traits are the only difference. I am a lvl 50 and I have 10 white human BOFF as my crew, about to be 12. I do mostly space so I am just going to keep them where they are. Shield recharge is a skill, not a trait. If you right click on the BO candidate and look at all the skills there, you will see 4 ones with yellow below them. Those are the traits for that BO.

Tac team 1 is a must. for the rest of the tac skills it depends on what ship you have.

AUX to SIF 2 or 3 is also a must. EP2 Weapons 1 is good.
Hazerd Emitters 1 is a must also. TSS 2 or 3 is very useful.
These are for space and should help you get started, the rest are really up to the players taste or build.
Hope this helps and see you around!
Kyle

bluegeek 08-08-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz177 (Post 5166671)
Thank you very much bluegeek and hevach very helpful.

Just got back home and looking around...when I select a BOFF and select the career Options -> Train, where does that list of skills to train come from?

The Train option available from your crew interface draws from career skills that your captain character is able to train. If you are a Science captain with enough levels in certain science-related skills, you are able to train Science bridge officers in a related skill.

Tac Officers can't train Science skills and so on, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylesal24 (Post 5169861)
Hi and welcome back!
What they mean by training is that there is a NPC on Earth Space Dock that can change the skills of your BO. He is by the Medical area, or he is next to the fleet starter person.

There are a few other locations, too. I don't recall where they are at the moment. Basically look in one of the social zones.

These BO Skill Trainers can train in many different skills, not just the ones your captain is able to train. There are a few gaps though, where you might need to seek out another source.

If the BO Skill Trainer does not have a particular skill available, your options are to locate a fellow player who can train in that skill or locate a Bridge Officer Candidate who has that skill. The candidate is expended and lost ("reassigned") after training your Bridge Officer.