Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Leechers and AFK the solution (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=346371)

sollvax 08-09-2012 01:58 AM

Leechers and AFK the solution

Had a brain wave last night and its really really simple

disable need or Greed ENTIRELY for people who are leeching (ie you just stand there you get NOTHING)
and if you spend your time not spawning you get Nothing

AND award dilith ONLY to the people who score in the top 80% in a mission
so if you leech you get NOTHING

baudl 08-09-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollvax (Post 5193141)
Had a brain wave last night and its really really simple

disable need or Greed ENTIRELY for people who are leeching (ie you just stand there you get NOTHING)
and if you spend your time not spawning you get Nothing

thats actually doable, if you take the function that determins how long you are inactive...you know the message that tells you "you are inactive for 5 mins"

if that timer reaches 3 min or less, the player is disqualified from loot rolls.
But i think the implementation of this would be to much work, for no profit on cryptics side.

the dilithium rewarding would function exactly as the fleet action reward system functions. So that can't be too hard to be implemented into STF's etc.

Also a scoreboard at the end of every fleet event, fleet action, stf...like there is in PVP would be great, and additional rewards based on that.

bubblygumsworth 08-09-2012 02:55 AM

*Sits in ship* Timer- Warning you have been inactive for 5 minutes *moves the ship forward and back* Timer- resets *goes AFK again*

skhc 08-09-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollvax (Post 5193141)

Do you mean the top 80% (ie. 4 of 5 players, or 16 of 20) get dilithium as an extra reward for FMs or only the top 80% get their reward (seeing as you could be talking about STFs with drop dilith either)? The former wouldn't be too bad, but the latter I wouldn't agree with at all.

If you have 5 evenly matched players, then someone could miss a reward by just being unlucky. The model kind of assumes you have a leech or lame duck in your group. Not always going to be the case.

sollvax 08-09-2012 02:57 AM

Away 5 mins
you GET nothing

and only the top 80% get anything
there is almost always a leech

skhc 08-09-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollvax (Post 5193471)
and only the top 80% get anything
there is almost always a leech

That's a really bad idea, then, mate.

Even if there is "almost always" a leech, (and to be honest, my experience is that there hasn't been - seen plenty of poor players, but they were still trying. I've seen very few leeches) it still screws one person in five over in pre-assembled groups, or in a PuG where there isn't a leech. You have 5 good players, someone has to be the least effective, even if it's just marginally. Why should that person miss out?

There's also the fact that whilst healing and damage can be quantified, things like CC can't be.

Finally, you bring your Commander (as you do) into a group and get 4 VAs who are of similar ability to you as team-mates? Even with level matching, you'll be hard pressed to get your reward. I suspect you'll get more beam-outs too as players look for a group with at least 2 lower ranked players so they'll be sure of being in the top 4.

bubblygumsworth 08-09-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollvax (Post 5193471)
Away 5 mins
you GET nothing

When ever I am AFK in the game and I get the system message/warning that I have been inactive for almost an hour I just move my character/ship or open a window and the timer resets. I can guarantee that this will happen in STF's too. As soon as they get a warning, they'll move their ship or something to reset the timer.

There will be no vote to kick button, there will not be a timer. Do what I do, report the inactive player to GM, ignore the player then add them to your little "if I see this prick in PvP I will totally lay down the pimp hand" list.

sollvax 08-09-2012 03:13 AM

actually guys if they deleted a few VA's for leeching everyone else would behave

baudl 08-09-2012 03:13 AM

i can't see no way to penalize leechers afkers without the implementation of a scoreboard at the end. Like in PVP...and the determination of who gets loot based on that score.

if somebody has not done a certian amount of dmg or healing, he gets nothing. On the other hand, the top 3 players should get extra rewards.

skhc 08-09-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baudl (Post 5193631)
i can't see no way to penalize leechers afkers without the implementation of a scoreboard at the end. Like in PVP...and the determination of who gets loot based on that score.

if somebody has not done a certian amount of dmg or healing, he gets nothing. On the other hand, the top 3 players should get extra rewards.

It wouldn't directly effect me all that much, since I've never been in a PuG where I've been anywhere the weakest player. But I still think it's a terrible idea.

Why should a system be implemented, that by design screws genuine players out of their loot? Cos not every PuG has a terrible player in it, and pre-mades are even less likely to have a terrible player in them. Yeah, sometimes players get screwed over by poor team-mates or AFKers. But it's not like the game has a system whereby it intentionally puts an AFKer or idiot into every PuG group, and there's a way to avoid it - don't PuG. This comes in, and you can't even avoid it by pre-making.

I wouldn't mind, but the OP is big into Fleet Events being content for lower level characters, and this will put them off it because of the possibilty of going into a Starbase Blockade with 4 players who have more weapons slots and BOff powers than them and relying on one of them being a poor player to have a chance of being in the top 4. Seriously, sollvax, can you not see that?

If you really want to implement a reward system based on a scoreboard, then you'd have to set it so that if the bottom player is within a certain distance of the others they still get their reward.