Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Science Odyssey - Maximizing DPS? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=350621)

red01999 08-12-2012 03:45 AM

Science Odyssey - Maximizing DPS?

I have the Odyssey pack. I have heard that the Science Odyssey offers the best DPS potential of any of them, due to Sensor Analysis.

However, after a series of tests that I am still running in a few different scenarios (Starbase Defense, Cure Space Normal, Fed Mirror Event), it seems to be performing, in most cases, worse than the tactical Odyssey. In fact, it often comes in at about 400-1,000 lower DPS. Also, to keep SA working I can't switch targets to try to find better prey or help a comrade, or else I lose the built-up buff, so that's quite a disadvantage in and of itself. As such, I'd like to ask if there is anything in particular I should be doing to maximize this, other than "don't switch targets."

The BOff layout and equipment I'm using are mostly identical (I swapped around the consoles a little bit because of the new slot for science and lack of slot for tactical, which has a net result of one less tac console and one more armor console). I also rotate tactical team and EPtW1, so my weapon power should be slightly buffed and maxed most of the time, and I also use APB1 pretty often. I use the full Odyssey set.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I'd like to figure out if I really SHOULD ditch my tactical Odyssey in favor of the science version, especially since at least one source I trust told me the tac Ody generally does do better DPS-wise, although I thought I'd ask here as it seems that the sci Ody gets the favored position here.

dknight0001 08-12-2012 04:25 AM

Never changing target on something that takes forever to kill Sci Odyssey will out DPS the Tactical one.

In a practical situation with assists and target changing the Tactical one will win.

captzabjudah 08-12-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red01999 (Post 5247221)
I have the Odyssey pack. I have heard that the Science Odyssey offers the best DPS potential of any of them, due to Sensor Analysis.

However, after a series of tests that I am still running in a few different scenarios (Starbase Defense, Cure Space Normal, Fed Mirror Event), it seems to be performing, in most cases, worse than the tactical Odyssey. In fact, it often comes in at about 400-1,000 lower DPS. Also, to keep SA working I can't switch targets to try to find better prey or help a comrade, or else I lose the built-up buff, so that's quite a disadvantage in and of itself. As such, I'd like to ask if there is anything in particular I should be doing to maximize this, other than "don't switch targets."

The BOff layout and equipment I'm using are mostly identical (I swapped around the consoles a little bit because of the new slot for science and lack of slot for tactical, which has a net result of one less tac console and one more armor console). I also rotate tactical team and EPtW1, so my weapon power should be slightly buffed and maxed most of the time, and I also use APB1 pretty often. I use the full Odyssey set.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I'd like to figure out if I really SHOULD ditch my tactical Odyssey in favor of the science version, especially since at least one source I trust told me the tac Ody generally does do better DPS-wise, although I thought I'd ask here as it seems that the sci Ody gets the favored position here.

I have the odyssey pack myself and I'm using the tactical one with all the odyssey set, I found that the tactical odyssey is more durable when adding the set it also is helpful when deploying the saurer section it make the tactical more stable to fly and more weapon and shield power for both, I just added modifly borg shield which help out alot to, so try and stack the odyssey pack set to which ever ship you use a you will see a better performance when you do. hope this was helpful.:)

Zab Judah:D

taavit22 08-12-2012 03:55 PM

Running in my sci (with my sci officer), one of the key things I've found helpful in the fleet space missions is to focus on the big things; other folks can deal with the small fry that die fast.

Also, if you can, GW on the big one, then swoop in for a plasma. Keep SA up and run a scan; maneuver as best you can. When GW wears down, tractor to keep them still for a little longer.

This also sets them up in a nice, big group for mass cannon and torp abilities. A good sci off and ody will lock targets in place.

Works well unless someone's a fool who repulses things away from your killzone.

vetteguy904 08-12-2012 04:59 PM

in theory the sci can outdps the tac. in a PROTRACTED engagement, like the borg invasion command ship. in 90% of every other engagement, especially with a team, the fourth console is the deciding factor by far.

taavit22 08-12-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy904 (Post 5253711)
in 90% of every other engagement, especially with a team, the fourth console is the deciding factor by far.

And the right skill choices for those consoles to modify.

red01999 08-13-2012 10:28 AM

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies thus far. It pretty much confirms my suspicions.

As such, I would like to pose the question - why is it, then, that Sensor Analysis is looked at as some uberpower? I remember many debates about the Science Odyssey having it, and a number of people stating that anyone who knows anything about how the game works would pick the Science Odyssey for just that reason. It baffles me because it seems that it's got the "market" for DPS nailed down to one specific situation. While it's great for wailing on a Borg command ship or the gates in KA, it doesn't seem to do all that much to tip the balance insurmountably, and definitely doesn't seem like enough to get everyone in arms over it like they were.

Can someone explain this to me please? I'm very curious as to whether there's something I'm missing. :confused:

flekh 08-13-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red01999 (Post 5263761)
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies thus far. It pretty much confirms my suspicions.

As such, I would like to pose the question - why is it, then, that Sensor Analysis is looked at as some uberpower? I remember many debates about the Science Odyssey having it, and a number of people stating that anyone who knows anything about how the game works would pick the Science Odyssey for just that reason. It baffles me because it seems that it's got the "market" for DPS nailed down to one specific situation. While it's great for wailing on a Borg command ship or the gates in KA, it doesn't seem to do all that much to tip the balance insurmountably, and definitely doesn't seem like enough to get everyone in arms over it like they were.

Can someone explain this to me please? I'm very curious as to whether there's something I'm missing. :confused:

You might be looking in the wrong direction for that answer. A good group can blow up a gate or command ship before the Sci Ody breaks even with a Tac. It's really hard to come up with a situation in PvE that makes a difference.
It's simple, it's really only relevant in the only part of the game where you're shooting the same target for minutes: PvP.
Most ship and build recommendations are made by PvPers. Which is fine, since they actually know the limits and capabilities of their ships, and how to get the maximum out of it. And those recommendations have to be read in that context.
For PvE ... well, it if flies and the captain doesn't suck too bad, then any T5 does the job just fine.

shimmerless 08-13-2012 04:32 PM

The Sci Ody will out-DPS the Tac quite fast (it surpasses the extra Tac console at something like 3 or 4 stacks)... it's hard to say what's going on without seeing the parser logs. Can you export and post them?

ussultimatum 08-13-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknight0001 (Post 5247441)
In a practical situation with assists and target changing the Tactical one will win.

12s is all it takes for the Sci Ody to be within reach of 99.4% of the Tac Ody's extra console.

At the 30s mark on any single target the Sci ody will have caught up to the Tac Ody.

On top of that, if you have any other powers (Sci powers, Torps for example) SA will buff those as well. (Side note, if I could have a Phaser Lance on my Sci Ody I think I would "pee my pants" as the meme goes.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy904 (Post 5253711)
in theory the sci can outdps the tac. in a PROTRACTED engagement, like the borg invasion command ship. in 90% of every other engagement, especially with a team, the fourth console is the deciding factor by far.

1) The Tac Ody only has 3 Tac Consoles, not 4.

2) It's not a theory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by red01999 (Post 5263761)

As such, I would like to pose the question - why is it, then, that Sensor Analysis is looked at as some uberpower?

Because it is an uberpower.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why you are getting the results you are getting.

On STFs the Sci Ody combat parsings I had were far out ahead of the Tac Ody.

This was using the exact same captain, the same gear, and the same BOFF powers (all I did was switch ships).

I could see, that if all you ever ran was the Mirror Event or other similar content with weak NPCs that practically explode when you fart in their general direction that yes, 12s will not elapse before enemies are dead.

On any content where your enemy survives for 30s or more (i.e. any enemy that matters) the Sci Ody will pull ahead.

NOTE: All credit for the data points posted above belong to Maelwy5, who did all of the testing and analysis found therein. My own testing was performed in limited foundry maps, and a week's worth of ESTF logs.