Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Elitest attitudes in MMOs in general (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=356611)

beritpandion 08-16-2012 08:07 PM

Elitest attitudes in MMOs in general
 
I've noticed that since WOW especially but even to a point before that there has been a saddening amount of people whining about their fellow players. Specifically if they aren't geared and do things according to THEIR rules then they must suck. I'm wondering where this came from (different kind of player than there used to be? AKA more micro manager types and less TRUE techs for lack of a nicer way to put it?) as pre WOW it didn't seem to be AS prevalent.

Lately I've seen a lot of Prevent X from joining in playing Y it's getting us killed or we're failing... DUH. It used to be that failing raids and things were normal and there were more than 1 way to do things. Especially since WOW it's X gear Y classes (Professions) or you're not allowed. I get that it's frustrating to play but this mentality that there's only 1 way to do things is really sad to see. It also reminds me of a subset of people that I worked with in the past that played WOW Horde for the simple fact the could be jerks online when they couldn't in RL. These attitudes are why I've come to really become anti social in MMOs and that's the reason I played them initially. Maybe MMOs need to go back to the D&D subtype of players as this mass of people seems to be bringing in some of the less desirable traits of the human species and show's just how far as a race we have to go. Not sure where I'm going with this other than point out some of these issues with fellow players in general and these mentalities. /shrug /rant off

Part of the fun of PUGs was to meet new people and TRY different methods of X mission/dungeon which lead to a lot of dieing and all but eventually lead to better skilled players. Either the game mechanics have changed (which they have to some degree with every new game) or else there's a new kind of player and there's that too.

jkstocbr 08-16-2012 08:48 PM

Some players forget its just a game as a result of the amount of time they have invested into it. Also, being anonymous and competitive brings out the worst in some.

miloguyaussie 08-16-2012 08:54 PM

i come to this game to relax not to be yelled at buy a keyboard warrior!!

some people take the game too seriously :confused:

beritpandion 08-16-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstocbr (Post 5320551)
Some players forget its just a game as a result of the amount of time they have invested into it. Also, being anonymous and competitive brings out the worst in some.

Yea maybe I was sheltered on my Decade long affair with EQ but I really didn't see the venom and Vitriol that I have in other games lately. I just was trying to get my mind around it and was trying to figure out if it's cultural, or if there's just that many different kinds of people playing now and the loud mouths are just that more noticeable. Wasn't really a troll or anything other than trying to wrap my head around a trend I've noticed.

nynik 08-16-2012 08:56 PM

MMOs are generally microcosms for real world social interactions. The concentration of such attitudes can be surprising to some, as we are more likely to encounter them due to the smaller game population and the designed corralling of players to specific activities and places.

I particularly notice the type of people who:

- are jerks
- are fools
- are helpful
- are down to earth
- are shy
- are oblivious to this being a multiplayer game

In real life, if you don't want to constantly find yourself doing activities with jerks and fools, generally you have the freedom to do that activity elsewhere, and often with other like-minded people who don't simply vanish into PUG queue oblivion when you complete the objective and leave the team. But in an MMO, we don't have that luxury. We must all do X in order to get Y. The best we can hope for is to arrange to do it with people we have an existing connection with (fleet, friends, etc)

beritpandion 08-16-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nynik (Post 5320631)
MMOs are generally microcosms for real world social interactions. The concentration of such attitudes can be surprising to some, as we are more likely to encounter them due to the smaller game population and the designed corralling of players to specific activities and places.

I particularly notice the type of people who:

- are jerks
- are fools
- are helpful
- are down to earth
- are shy
- are oblivious to this being a multiplayer game

In real life, if you don't want to constantly find yourself doing activities with jerks and fools, generally you have the freedom to do that activity elsewhere, and often with other like-minded people who don't simply vanish into PUG queue oblivion when you complete the objective and leave the team. But in an MMO, we don't have that luxury. We must all do X in order to get Y. The best we can hope for is to arrange to do it with people we have an existing connection with (fleet, friends, etc)

I totally agree however it's seemed like there's 2 subset's if you will that have arrived.
1) group that seems to think that online is a place to be jerks so they can let out whatever pent up feelings of inadequacy they have IRL
2) These micro manager elitists who want only to do things ABC and can't frankly adjust to groups that do things differently.
On a bigger scale this is something I've noticed as a whole that people seem to have a lot less creative solution and reaction skills even in jobs that require it. If things don't follow ABC they don't know what to do. Works for me IRL as it keeps me in a job but it's frustrating to see that mentality popping into games where it's SUPPOSED to be an escape from RL.

hortwort 08-16-2012 09:16 PM

None of you people are worthy of posting here! :mad: :P

carmenara 08-16-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstocbr (Post 5320551)
Some players forget its just a game as a result of the amount of time they have invested into it. Also, being anonymous and competitive brings out the worst in some.

^ This.

Which is why there are a number of large and successful fleets out there geared towards the "mature" players who are less prone to using the game as a sort of venting paradise.

Mind you any type of gameplay style or perspective, taken far enough and made advanced enough to be inaccessible, can be considered "elitist" by the general populace.

MMO gaming is IMO, all about finding your own niche and sticking to it. There's no need to say, bash certain subsets of players just because I disagree with their logic and mode of interaction.

Example:

I started STO as a roleplayer and back then I found certain discussions against RPers performing well in PvP and ESTF distressing.

Later on I tried everything including flying the worst, squishiest, nerfed science ships quite well in PvP and once I went into a RP guild's ESTF ground mission and was like.... wtf, stop socializing in battle.

In other words I can be yon typical fellow who tells you "cruisers suck, use an escort for this map", or "screw the DPS, work on formation order and RPed battle comms TNG style"

Both these gameplay styles can be "elitist" due to inaccessibility.

But if I remain in my niche and pick the right discussions to contribute to in the correct tone, there's really no justification to intrude on others' chosen modes of gameplay and downplay them.

The conclusion I'm getting at is, we're all not here to be the Average Joe captain who works for Starfleet 50 years, gets a pension and retires comfortably on utopian Earth eventually.

We all want to play heroes of whatever form in either RP or through skill in advanced gameplay, or even via community contributions.

We all want to be "Elite" in our own way because games, like it or not, are meant for us to succeed in a way that we may not even think it's possible IRL. That's what entertainment is about.

It's when player A bashes player B to say "what you're doing is wrong", and giving no justification as to why or how that other mode of play... is what creates all this unnecessary friction in gaming communities.

After all, to put it in a simple way, what's stopping a group of roleplayers from learning the right stuff from PvP forums and PvP queues, and excelling in elite level gameplay?

I have seen groups of players achieve exactly that and write you the most wonderful RPed short stories with all the right min-max strategies in it, making the rivalry in its basic form... most illogical.

jkstocbr 08-16-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beritpandion (Post 5320621)
Yea maybe I was sheltered on my Decade long affair with EQ but I really didn't see the venom and Vitriol that I have in other games lately. I just was trying to get my mind around it and was trying to figure out if it's cultural, or if there's just that many different kinds of people playing now and the loud mouths are just that more noticeable. Wasn't really a troll or anything other than trying to wrap my head around a trend I've noticed.

I also think that MMO's have matured into the mainstream market in the last 10 years - attracting different types of gamers. The recent move to F2P for a lot of games also opens the gate to a wider audience, both for good and bad.

centersolace 08-16-2012 09:20 PM

Some people are just grouchy, some will accuse you of rainbow-boating while using blue phasers with normal ones.... :rolleyes:

One thing I've figured out is: "Be nice and make the other guy look like an *******". It's super effective. :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 AM.