Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   So Data is incapable of providing HD video playback from his eyes to a monitor? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=359681)

doubleohnine 08-19-2012 01:58 PM

So Data is incapable of providing HD video playback from his eyes to a monitor?

Reading A Time to be Born. Dont spoil it. But they never thought to say in tv, movies, and books Data couldnt provide a video playback of everything his eyes see? Especially when what he saw is questioned in a court martial hearing? How can an android be remembering everything perfectly if he isnt recording every bit of data his eyes feed him and rewatching the video in his head to accurately recount details? We know he can playback and mimic exact audio. Data needs to give himself a bluetooth update so he doesnt even have to plug in, he can just access computers with the same wireless access the PADDs are using to access mainframes.

carmenara 08-19-2012 05:56 PM

Perhaps he needs to upgrade to a better version of FRAPS :)

goedzooi 08-19-2012 10:56 PM

Or iShowU HD if he runs on mac.

red01999 08-20-2012 12:19 AM

It's entirely possible that Data does not store visual information in a way that it is easily extracted like that; rather, it may be more like natural visual processing, in which case it is represented as strengthened or weakened links, or new nodes, in his neural net.

That said, he seems to have supplemental computer capabilities (e.g. he has what seem to be conventional files, which seem to link to his "personal" memory to at least some extent), and it would not be difficult for a secondary processing system to "eavesdrop" the signal and store a replayable version, so this would really be an oversight on the part of Soong. That said, his family was known for having genius run through its genes, not sanity or common sense... :)

oldkirkfan 08-20-2012 01:38 AM

Not to mention, Novels are not considered canon.

In My Universe Data is perfect and CAN replay visual data through the computer.
I did away with my Blu-ray and DVD's along time ago, because of this.

He can also act as an Mp3 player.

Now.... if he could just make a decent cappuccino.

anazonda 08-20-2012 03:32 AM

Well:

1: Books are by no means canon, and do no in any way indicate the Star Trek characters. You will never convince me that books can represent the canon universe... Only the views of the writer, who usually is clueless.

2: Data can in fact be connected and interact directly with starfleet equipment, as seen in the episode "Disaster" where his head only practically interacts with the entire engineering subsystem (yet another example of how writers are clueless).

3: Datas systems are in fact fully capable of transferring information from his brain to starfleet systems, as seen in that episode where the old guy takes him over, and then finally downloads his knowlege into the Enterprise computer, or in nemesis where data transfers information and part of his personallity to B4 (as said: clueless).

Don't bother wasting your time on the lack of writer knowlege with books... It's them who fail... not you. try to enjoy the book while disregarding obvious writer-errors.

ocp001 08-20-2012 04:01 AM

Seriously, I know when I'm designing sentient artificial life capable of surpassing humanity in nearly every way; I'm always thinking about adding a blu-ray player.

hpcapulet 08-20-2012 10:40 AM

They never used data as a VCR out of respect for him as a person. Ooops sorry to any youngsters, DVR, better?

doubleohnine 08-20-2012 12:50 PM

Not just book writers, but the tv series as well. I mean, this is a show where Roddenberry had an omnipresent camera on the bridge of Pike's ship when they replayed events from the first pilot and Kirk was on trial. So, no one during TNG, even considering technology at the time, thought it would make sense to have Data's eyes replay what he saw as a point of view? There were never moments when it was said Data was super zooming in with his eyes, or had night vision, etc, that I ever recall. Missed opportunities. And if I were writing stories, Id ADD these abilities because it only makes sense for Data to have them.

levi3 08-20-2012 01:06 PM

everything in the show is limited by the technology of the time it is made - TNG was made in a time when the avg person was just starting to get a Cell phone - wireless connection to computers was not even considered by most people who were using 33k - thirthy three kilobites per second at BEST! - by modem

we have glass and plastics now that will not shatter - but I think hundreds of people were killed by exploding consoles on the shows

TNG was starting in 87 and I started high school that year(dating myself) - a rich kid came to school that year with the first portable CD player - almost as big as a brick and weighing as much - most people used cassettes

Everything in the TNG shows has to be taken into the context of what was avail in the mid 80's to mid 90's