Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Brand New Player With a $20 gift card What Do I buy? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=359701)

bnotorious 08-19-2012 02:58 PM

Brand New Player With a $20 gift card What Do I buy?

I just started playing and am lvl 15. My wife bought me a $20 card what should I spend it on?

darknessmuta 08-19-2012 03:07 PM

Best thing to get first is more character slots so you can try out the other classes. It's nice to have one of every class on both sides as you never know when you may want to be a KDF Sci or Fed Eng. Multiple characters will also help earn more dilithium and that can be turned into more Zen points as you will need 2500 for any of the account wide level 50 ship unlocks. The increased EC cap is also a useful unlock early on since it is account wide too.

I would avoid getting any of the bank, account bank or inventory slot increases as if you really want those unlocks, it is best to find a cheap copy of the game on Amazon or Ebay and use the code to get Gold for a month and get all those bank and inventory slot increases for free from the Gold membership. That will also give you 500 zen too for being gold for a month.

bnotorious 08-19-2012 03:07 PM

I just bought a $10 card, bought keys and played the tholian lockbox lottery with them. I got 3 duty officer packs and some ??Fleet Credit Bonus?? things. I'm not going to do that again although it seems allright that I got some more duty officers.

kyeto13 08-19-2012 09:27 PM

I suggest utility items, such as EC cap increase, Character slots, boff slots, Etc.

I would NOT suggest buying a ship until you have an idea what play style and ships you enjoy using.

Also, bnotorious, the Fleet Credit Bonus is used for earning fleet credits faster when you donate to a fleet project. Obviously, you need to be in a fleet before you can donate to a fleet project.

I am a Fleet Admiral Fleet Operations. If you are interested in joining, send me an in game PM to @kyeto13, or you can look around to any of our members :D

bnotorious 08-20-2012 06:14 AM

I was just looking at Bridge Officer Slots. That sounds like a good idea, thanks.

verlaine11 08-20-2012 06:23 AM

Quick question, are you silver or gold player, if silver you should subscribe for 1 month to level up and get all the perks and then use some of your card or the 1 month stippend to get the EC upgrade - or find a very cheap copy of the game for the 1 month gold

blitzsth 08-20-2012 06:29 AM

My advice would be to hold off spending it straight away. You will be wanting to research the game first of all, get a feel for it and you will see more clearly where you will want to spend that money. Everyone plays differently and in a few weeks you will see how you own game play style develops and you will have a better understanding where that money will be better spent.

thecosmic1 08-20-2012 06:31 AM

If I had $20.00 worth of Zen I'd buy my wife's character a nice sexy TOS miniskirt, some of those tall boots, you know what I'm talking about... :)

henrik68 08-20-2012 06:38 AM

All 'o the above and...a Borg bridge officer! :D

tobar26th 08-20-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecosmic1 (Post 5363901)
If I had $20.00 worth of Zen I'd buy my wife's character a nice sexy TOS miniskirt, some of those tall boots, you know what I'm talking about... :)

My wife's account has had that item purchased ;-) She's one hot Andorian lol.