Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   patch notes (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=364611)

matteo716maikai 08-23-2012 03:21 PM

patch notes

How come we recieved incomplete patch notes? is there any possible way to get FULL patch notes when patches are applied?

mirai222 08-23-2012 03:43 PM

That wouldn't really be feasible. The patch includes everything from large changes to tiny bug fixes, and everything in between. The devs try to figure out which information is the most important, and pass that along in the patch notes. They might also intentionally leave out some information related to exploits, or just stuff they don't want to talk about for whatever reason.

You wouldn't want to see notes full of things like "Moved enemy spawn point from 256, -13, 48 to 215, -12, 48 on the Ferflickl planet map", would you?

baudl 08-23-2012 04:03 PM

but i'd like to know that fleet doffs no longer qualify for fleet projects...thats kind of important information to me. And not even a corporate secret since ESD and forums are full of that subject.

they screwed up...they don't admit it ("working as intended")...or they simply have no idea what happened.

abcde123123 08-23-2012 04:24 PM

As somebody who makes living working in software I can tell you that yeah, we can get full patch notes if somebody will go out and beat it out with a stick from every developer. Then possibly you can get full patch notes :)

Devs naturally aren't the best writers out there and they don't like writing patch notes.

Having said that, however, there are good teams out there with established software development process, including rigorous QA. "Out there" being a key word.

matteo716maikai 08-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirai222 (Post 5422221)
That wouldn't really be feasible. The patch includes everything from large changes to tiny bug fixes, and everything in between. The devs try to figure out which information is the most important, and pass that along in the patch notes. They might also intentionally leave out some information related to exploits, or just stuff they don't want to talk about for whatever reason.

You wouldn't want to see notes full of things like "Moved enemy spawn point from 256, -13, 48 to 215, -12, 48 on the Ferflickl planet map", would you?

actually yes i think i would. it would help us, the community, figure out what fixes may have caused unintended bugs etc etc. since their QA department sucks, they might as well give us the tools to help them do it.

mirai222 08-23-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matteo716maikai (Post 5425931)
actually yes i think i would. it would help us, the community, figure out what fixes may have caused unintended bugs etc etc. since their QA department sucks, they might as well give us the tools to help them do it.

Oooh, that's the right answer. And I agree with you. I'd love to see the gory details so we could check them properly. I've seen far too many things go on test servers with little to no indication of how the devs think they should actually work.