Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   If no content then make this game incredibly customizable to make up the difference! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=367621)

thedoctorbluebox 08-25-2012 03:10 PM

If no content then make this game incredibly customizable to make up the difference!

Since there is obviously never going to be a consistent stream of content, how about making the game more customizable in every which way in order to fill the gap of content droughts? Since we can't can't count on content, at least we could count on this game being the most customizble Star Trek game out there for building a real "life" for your character in the Star Trek Universe. This can be done for characters, ships and kits, and expanding on the fleet starbase idea by introducing actual rooms we can be assigned to and fix up in our Starbases, or on ESD. I'll explain each idea....

1.) Characters - The character creation system is already quite nice, but we know even more options can be added to really make unique characters. Besides just adding in new alien creatures we can play, having a fully customizable system in which we have more feature options like hair, eyes, nose, mouth and many other exotic alien type features we can add. Having more color choices, size and shape choices, and of course uniform options. While I know what is there is pretty good, take examples from other games and their deep ability to really create unique characters and add those kind of features in STO so players have more options. What is there is good, but it could use a few more things.

2.) Ship Creation - This one is the biggie, right now there is a simple ship tailor whereabouts you are able to change the skin of your ship to a very limited few options, and then only change parts on your ship of the same ship class, and only change variants. We need way more options in really customizing your ship. In fact, ship customization should be right at the start of the game along with character customization. You should be able to literally design your own ship. I have an idea for this, along the way of your leveling new parts are unlocked as you level up at each Rank, that let you mix and match more parts to create more custom ships. Every part of every ship, regardless of class, variant, or whatever should be allowed to be mix matched. You should be able to put Sovereign nacelles on a Miranda if you wanted to. This would lead to an immense amount of custom and creative ship designs made by people designed the way they want their ships to look. By the time you make it to VA all ship parts are unlocked. You should also be able to select from way more skins and textures than there are now, go exotic, give us some good stuff, add to that color, if I want a bright pink ship, allow me the ability to create that. Outside ship appearance is just as important as your character, and we need the ability to customize it a lot more ways. Include warp trail effects, deflector effects, shield effects also.

On the inside of ships it should be exactly the same, let us customize the inside way more than what is there now, let us make our ships a home, color, texture, design, all of it. Ship creation as a whole should be just as important as your character creation, and very flexible.

3.) Kits - I know this has been discussed before, and I believe it is actually a feature in the works for a future season, but the ability to select our own powers for kits that make up new and custom kits for us to use. Mix and match kit powers, and create custom kits so everyone basically has unique kits based on how they want to play.

4.) Making a home for yourself - For long time players of this game, I feel like our characters need a home for themselves. I almost see this turning into a Sims kind of thing, but a bit lighter than that. We need the ability to "rent" out a room on ESD, or on Earth! What a way to make Earth more prominent, give us apartment spaces on Earth! A place we can call home that we customize any way we want, and it's a social zone so others can be in there with us. Give us a place we can call our own. We can beam from home to our ship and go explore the galaxy. Whether that home be on ESD, DS9, or Earth, give us all those options to make one of those places our home base, put a loot box inside so we can store more inventory, like a second bank area connected directly to our home to store lots of stuff. Let us place things on the walls, hang things, unique items and so forth to display them (same for our ships quarters.) It's just a unique idea to make it feel like we have a place. It would allow you to use Earth more anyway.

These ideas are with one goal and intent in mind, give us custom options to make our characters/ship the way we want them, so we have lots of things to play with and customize and configure and design during content droughts to keep us busy. Make this MMO the most customizable Star Trek game out there so players can literally create a "life" for themselves in the game and make it feel like they are in the Star Trek universe!

I'm sure there are even more ideas people will have to fleshing out this customization of things. Lot's more can be done, and I'm sure the great people here in this forum and playing this game have lots of ideas to add.

stof4nb0y 08-25-2012 03:16 PM

The only real solution to the content issue is start attaching real rewards to the foundry spotlight missions. That would give people a completely new mission to do every single week, with a real reward for doing so. The only question is how long it will take them to finally get around to doing it.

dood98998 08-25-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stof4nb0y (Post 5456151)
The only real solution to the content issue is start attaching real rewards to the foundry spotlight missions. That would give people a completely new mission to do every single week, with a real reward for doing so. The only question is how long it will take them to finally get around to doing it.

Foundry= inffinite free content. Don't now how the guys at cryptic could be so stupid as to not see this.

zebular 08-25-2012 03:30 PM

According to the Developers working on Neverwinter Online, their Foundry Content will be giving out rewards at the end of every foundry adventure, in addition to monsters dropping loot. The end loot is said to scale depending on both the duration of the quest and the difficulty.

I would imagine that, sometime in the future, STO will (hopefully) adopt such a reward system for all foundry missions. The only reason I do not play many Foundry missions in STO is because there is no reward, it feels like time wasted.

syberghost 08-25-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebular (Post 5456321)
I would imagine that, sometime in the future, STO will (hopefully) adopt such a reward system for all foundry missions. The only reason I do not play many Foundry missions in STO is because there is no reward, it feels like time wasted.

"Investigate Officer Reports" gives you 1,440 Dilithium, 189 Skill, and 165 Expertise for doing Foundry missions. Do it in place of one of your other 1,440 Dil dailies.

capnbludd 08-25-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebular (Post 5456321)
According to the Developers working on Neverwinter Online, their Foundry Content will be giving out rewards at the end of every foundry adventure, in addition to monsters dropping loot. The end loot is said to scale depending on both the duration of the quest and the difficulty.

...You're playing a game instead of doing something meaningful... you are wasting time already. ;)

People are so hung up on getting dilithium that they don't play the game.. they work it.

zulisvel 08-25-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syberghost (Post 5456861)
"Investigate Officer Reports" gives you 1,440 Dilithium, 189 Skill, and 165 Expertise for doing Foundry missions. Do it in place of one of your other 1,440 Dil dailies.

I'm sorry but 1,440 Dil for the amount of time required to play through 3 good foundry missions is a joke. I can earn more Dil in a much shorter period of time doing other dailies. Sure I could run three of those "scan the console" missions in 15 seconds, but I feel those completely run counter to the whole point behind the Foundry.

I come to Star Trek for the stories. But STO is also a game and as a player I want to be rewarded for my time spent. If the devs aren't going to provide me with new story content on a regular bases and expect me to get that from the Foundry instead then the rewards given need to accurately reflect the time spent to earn them.

stof4nb0y 08-25-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Unless you are talking about doing the exploit missions, it would take a couple of hours to do 3 full length foundry missions. That is an absurd amount of time for the small reward, which is the same reward you get for doing 3 star cluster missions.

centersolace 08-25-2012 05:33 PM

I just would like to be able to customize the Doff contacts on my ship, as well as the costumes my basic crew wears. Tho', being able to customise the same things on starbases would be really cool too.

standupguy86 08-25-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Thats not a viable solution. The Foundry just isnt appealing to the majority of players at this time.