Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   STO and Windows 8 (release preview) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=370131)

dmfreddie 08-28-2012 02:49 AM

STO and Windows 8 (release preview)

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum but its a bit of several topics.

While STO ran brilliantly on Windows 7 for me, running it on Windows 8 is more interesting...sure on the Microsoft website it says yay it works with us and it does to some extent, since I moved to windows 8 there have been 'holes' see through parts in my Defiant and some of the bases I've been to. Another thing is that when STO loads (the logo loading screen for sto on the black background), the game always seems to freeze up my computer both monitors now and mess around with the OS a bit resembling the not aero compatible in Win7. Has anyone else been getting this or is it just me?

But I'm glad it works to some extent with Windows 8!

caliban149 08-28-2012 03:37 AM

Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

Total non-issue for me, I'll be sticking with 7.

cptmcauley 08-28-2012 03:43 AM

I haven't looked into it too much, but W8 is sounding like the worst thing since Vista...

intrepiduk 08-28-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliban149 (Post 5487971)
Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

+1

If I wanted a tablet OS, I'd buy a tablet PC.

captainrevo1 08-28-2012 04:40 AM

ahhh microsoft.

find a winning, successful formula then totally destroy it.

jcsww 08-28-2012 05:25 AM

No issues here on the system I have with Windows 8 and STO on it. You might want to check for newer drivers for your hardware.

blargskull 08-28-2012 05:57 AM

Windows 8? I am still running it under Windows 3.11 and MS DOS. :)

But seriously, I have it working on both Vista and XP SP3.

allyoftheforce 08-28-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blargskull (Post 5488801)
Windows 8? I am still running it under Windows 3.11 and MS DOS. :)

But seriously, I have it working on both Vista and XP SP3.

Indeed, I'm still using Vista and plan on using it until my computer explodes from age. Going to upgrade the processor this weekend so I can get a bit more juice out of it. Should last me a couple more years after that until I need to up my graphics again.

reyan01 08-28-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliban149 (Post 5487971)

Hear Hear!

I'm sticking with windows 7 too - you can keep the likes of Faceache, PooTube and Twatter. Utter, utter garbage the lot of them and I don't want that rubbish poluting my laptop.

mattjohnsonva 08-28-2012 06:37 AM

Doesn't W8 have a fall back option to the W7 type desktop for those users without touch screens?

I run it fine on Vista and XP, although Vista is a resource hog for sure it is also extremely stable.