Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Theoretical build idea for torpedo based HEC - thoughts? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=377611)

weirdtrekie30 09-05-2012 11:53 AM

Theoretical build idea for torpedo based HEC - thoughts?
 
Hi,

I've had an idea for a viable torpedo based build for my heavy escort carrier. . I was hoping I could get a few opinions if it could work well. This would be mostly be for STFs, regular game play, not PvP, although I would be grateful for ideas if it could work on PvP too.

Tac officer in the heavy escort carrier:

Fore weapons:
2x Polarized Dual Tetryon Beam Bank Mk XI / or 2x Tetryon DBB XII Borg
2x Photon torp XII borg

Aft weapons:
2x Tetryon turret XII borg
1x Photon torp XII borg or perhaps Tricobalt XII borg

Boff layout:
Cmdr tac: TT1, BO2, TS3, APO3
Lt tac: TT1 THY2
Ens tac: Target SS Shields 1

Lt cmdr eng: EPTS1, EPTS2, AuxSIF 2
Lt sci: HE1, TYB2

Hanger: Delta type shuttles

Consoles/devices
tac: 2x tetryon 2x photon - or maybe 4x photon
torpedo point defence
Borg console

Doffs: At least 3x purple projectile officers.

Beyond this, haven't decided. Perhaps Omega engines and deflector for tetryon glider. Borg console and borg shields if so, otherwise borg console, engines and deflector and MACO shields.

My attack theory is as follows:
First move, beam overload, with target subsystem shields. Hit tachyon beam. This should get shields down quickly. Using Polarized Tetryon, the proc is 10% for extra damage to shields. At the same time, send in the delta shuttles. I'm pretty sure this would strip shields down very quickly.

Second move, having already queued both torp spread and high yield (It is quite possible if timed properly), quickly get them off one after another while the shields are still down and hit the hull hard. I'm not sure if DEM effects torpedoes or not, so not sure if that would help.

Third move, swing around and fire off either the aft photorp or tricobalt to finish, if not already finished, saving the torpedo point defence system if needed for an extra punch while the tricobalt is on cooldown.



I'm really just spit-balling the idea, I would just really like to see a torpedo build work well and I'm wondering if this unconventional build has any merit at all.

I was thinking of trying it out on on tribble, but it's a fair bit of work to to go through the episode mission to get the polarized dual tetryon banks, so I don't want to put the work in unless the build seems to work on paper.

Anyway, it's just a concept and I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers!

pottsey5g 09-05-2012 11:57 AM

If you are going to use photon tac you may as well use Photon mines, perhaps with photon mine patterns?

EDIT: Polarized Tetryon are broken in that the 10% is not working.

teleon22 09-05-2012 12:15 PM

I think I would do it a little different.

Fore weapons:
2x Polarized Tetryon Beam Bank Mk XI
2x Photon torpedo Launchers XII Borg

Aft weapons:
2x Tetryon turret MKXII Borg
1x Photon mine MKXII Borg

Boff layout:
Cmdr tac: BO-I or B-TS | THYII | Dispersal Pattern II | APO3
Lt tac: BO-I or BTS | THY II
Ens tac: TT-I

Note: If going a torpedo build you can in fact run low weapon subsystem power and simply use the weapon at around 50 power. Use the target shield subsystem doubled up it has a % chance to take a shield facing offline for your machine gun torpedo?s to do their worst. This will also allow you to run high Shields and Auxiliary power which will help you shield tank a little bit.

Lt cmdr eng: EPTS1, EPTS2, AuxSIF 2
Lt sci: HE1, TSS-II

Hanger: Delta type shuttles

Consoles/devices
tac: 4x photon
torpedo point defence
Borg console

Doffs: At least 2x purple projectile officers & Two blue tactical Con officers to reduce recharge of Tactical Team. 1 purple shield distribution officer!

reginamala78 09-05-2012 01:06 PM

Subsystem targeting starts the universal cooldown on beam overload (at least it does on sci ships), so I don't think you can use those together. What if you went paired DCs on the front (not heavies, regulars) and used tet glider and cannon skills for shield-eating prior to the torp salvoes?

weirdtrekie30 09-05-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks for your input so far. . I'm starting to think this build might actually work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 5594731)
Subsystem targeting starts the universal cooldown on beam overload (at least it does on sci ships), so I don't think you can use those together. What if you went paired DCs on the front (not heavies, regulars) and used tet glider and cannon skills for shield-eating prior to the torp salvoes?

I've checked the wiki and from a quick test on tribble, it appears the target subsystem Boff skill, unlike the sci ship version only shares a cooldown on other target subsystem skills, so the beams still seem like the way to go for a tac ship.

weirdtrekie30 09-05-2012 02:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the proc on the phased Polarized Tetryon not working currently.

I'm going to want a flow capacitor in a console slot as it effects subsystem targeting AND tetyon glider.

The photon mines are an interesting idea - I've not experimented all that much with mines before. Dispersal Beta is the wide net of mines isn't it? - Perhaps not as useful to static targets though.

As for torp high yield vs torp spread - the damage increase with high yield over spread isn't as large as it should be in theory, I must look at combat logs to see the difference, but then again you don't want to draw agro from spheres or cubes by hitting them with a spread not aimed at them, hence why I was thinking having both at my disposal.

Having said that - with the TPDS, I get a "free" torp spread every few minutes.

teleon22 09-06-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdtrekie30 (Post 5595601)
Thanks for the heads up about the proc on the phased Polarized Tetryon not working currently.

I'm going to want a flow capacitor in a console slot as it effects subsystem targeting AND tetyon glider.

The photon mines are an interesting idea - I've not experimented all that much with mines before. Dispersal Beta is the wide net of mines isn't it? - Perhaps not as useful to static targets though.

As for torp high yield vs torp spread - the damage increase with high yield over spread isn't as large as it should be in theory, I must look at combat logs to see the difference, but then again you don't want to draw agro from spheres or cubes by hitting them with a spread not aimed at them, hence why I was thinking having both at my disposal.

Having said that - with the TPDS, I get a "free" torp spread every few minutes.

The only reason I suggested THY-II over TS-II is because you often only want to target a single target in STF runs at a time to kill them quickly. You might even be able to simply forget the mines, load an aft torpedo and then just load TSIII, Sure it might seem like a waste... but that is what I would do! It gives you the option between spaming torpedos like crazy. ;)

weirdtrekie30 09-06-2012 12:31 PM

Does anyone know if the proc bug for the polarized tetryons has been fixed, or due to be fixed at all?

weirdtrekie30 09-06-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdtrekie30 (Post 5595071)
Thanks for your input so far. . I'm starting to think this build might actually work!



I've checked the wiki and from a quick test on tribble, it appears the target subsystem Boff skill, unlike the sci ship version only shares a cooldown on other target subsystem skills, so the beams still seem like the way to go for a tac ship.

I was incorrect - it does share a cooldown with BO - but it's fairly short and Doffs should help there. On tribble I was able to stack a beam overload with a subsystem target in a test. It was only with phasers mind you, as I dont' want to invest in the resources for tetryons unless it's going to work :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.