Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Fan Art Challenge #2 Discussion Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=384331)

pwebranflakes 09-11-2012 01:03 PM

Fan Art Challenge #2 Discussion Thread

Quote:

Fan Art Challenge #2 : Ships

This is the comments thread for Fan Art Challenge #2 : Ships.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can take this feedback into consideration for the next challenge!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:

darkstarkirian 09-11-2012 01:10 PM

We are liable to see some of the Design The Next Enterprise art again!

psycoticvulcan 09-11-2012 08:02 PM

Great contest idea! I'll grab some screenshots tomorrow.

jexsamx 09-12-2012 12:26 PM

Do screenshots even count as original work? You arranged it, sure, but every resource is actually something Cryptic made.

x3of9 09-12-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jexsamx (Post 5685401)
Do screenshots even count as original work? You arranged it, sure, but every resource is actually something Cryptic made.

I personally find pure screenshots not to count for much. But the rule itself I take to mean to not use other people's work in the sense of other people's screenshots or resources from outside the game that you didn't create.

I do a fair bit of manipulation using multiple screenshots and some effects to make the images look "Better" than the game allows.

yreodred 09-14-2012 06:28 AM

I like the double nacelles on that Excelsior (post #14).

Live long and prosper.

wraithshadow13 09-17-2012 02:56 PM

I'm a little sad to see that most of the entries are screen shots as well. Granted that yes, Photographs CAN be art, but being an art challenge it doesn't seem that challenging to just hit print screen a few hundred times then grab the right one. Granted any thing i draw looks horrible, but you know what? At least i did it by hand (and again, i shows because holy crap i'm terrible lol)

yreodred 09-17-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 (Post 5739211)
I'm a little sad to see that most of the entries are screen shots as well. Granted that yes, Photographs CAN be art, but being an art challenge it doesn't seem that challenging to just hit print screen a few hundred times then grab the right one. Granted any thing i draw looks horrible, but you know what? At least i did it by hand (and again, i shows because holy crap i'm terrible lol)

I thought:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwebranflakes (Post 5673581)
Hello and welcome to another edition of our Fan Art challenges! :cool: Since this is only the second one, please make sure to read the rules below. Also, feel free to post feedback about the rules/ challenge in the discussion thread linked below, as well as themes that you would like to see in the future.

Today we start the four-week run of the second Fan Art Challenge: Ships
Create Fan Art that shows off and depicts one of your in-game ships of either faction, or one from each. Feel free to choose the setting (e.g. docked, in combat, in orbit, at warp, under construction etc.) you would like.

Thats why i changed my entry. My previously post was a design study of a Federation ship. I changed it because of what pwebranflakes wrote.

Live long and prosper.

cakeballs 09-21-2012 10:31 AM

oops discarded

kyrandman 09-22-2012 09:26 AM

I would like to say that Cakeballs has outdone himself on his entry. Stylish and Classy all the way!