Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   In-game Silencing System (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=387101)

blznfun 09-14-2012 05:03 PM

In-game Silencing System

Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?

blznfun 09-14-2012 06:06 PM

Cryptic, what are you going to do about this blatant disregard for the silence feature?

I think simply "Ignore" without the chat ban system is fine. Someone doesn't want to see what your typing fine, report GM, fine... But the GM should be putting the chat ban on, not the system through automation.

And if someone comes with a legit reason why they should not be chat banned under the current system, I think it should be investigated thoroughly.

Lets put an end to the chat griefing Cryptic!

thecosmic1 09-14-2012 06:14 PM

They're not going to do anything about it. It's Friday night, the Devs are off until Monday. Just deal with your 24 hour chat ban and get over it - it's probably half over already.

blznfun 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

Actually it has less than 3 hours to go, but regardless. They have already stated they won't do anything and I have to wait for it to expire... Thats horse*(#$!

blznfun 09-14-2012 06:39 PM

Never mind I redact the statement I made in this particular reply...

foundrelic 09-14-2012 07:03 PM

The kicker is, if this happens often enough to one user that user can suffer a FULL ban, not just a chat ban.

THAT would be a grievous abuse of this feature.

Imagine a Lifer who pays every month to get new ships, features and other things.

Someone sees this player in 900 day bling and gets his friends to mas silence the lifer.

THe lifer fiels their complaint, gets told that there's nothing that can be done.

Ban lifts, Lifer goes about his business.

Griefer does it again.

And again and again until the lifer gets banned.

What happens?

An investigation? Probably not. The lifer is now out $300 and whatever else he/she has sunk into the game, all because of a ****ing troll abusing the system.

wraithshadow13 09-14-2012 07:20 PM

This same thing has been happening over on the champions forums as well, a lot of people seem to be abusing this system just to grief others. I can understand that there are those that take advantage of it to actually report spammers and such, but now that it's grieving people I think they should change it to work like the bug report so that it takes a small image of the chat system for the last minute or so as well as asks for a discription of what they were saying. If some one reports they were banned for no reason it's on record if they wanted to dispute it. If they were reported by some one falsely that person gets banned for a day, and repeat offenders get banned longer or more harshly.

lomax6996 09-14-2012 08:28 PM

I have a simpler solution. Just do away with it completely. If you don't want to receive someone's messages you can simply "ignore" them. That's all the control that's needed. The idea of giving players such control over other players is ludicrous and invites the exact sort of abuse that the system is now getting. There are plenty of MMO's out there that have no such system. You're option is "ignore" and that's option enough.

cursix 09-14-2012 09:10 PM

Question for the OP; did you speak at all in zone/local chat before that? If not, it really is a serious problem that Cryptic isn't even doing an automatic check of "Did this person even TALK?" before taking action.

mimey2 09-14-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cursix (Post 5717121)
Question for the OP; did you speak at all in zone/local chat before that? If not, it really is a serious problem that Cryptic isn't even doing an automatic check of "Did this person even TALK?" before taking action.

On top of that, there should be a means to see WHO is doing the reporting? Not to the person that they reported of course, but to Cryptic. I mean, if it is people doing it on purpose as well, then in turn, it would only be wise if people seem to be constantly reporting everyone for no reason just to get them silenced.

I'm surprised this kind of problem hasn't happened sooner.